Job Titles

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I am trying hard to get out of my current place of employment and I'm looking to find something security related. My question is, what entry level titles should I be searching for? Seems the ones I've currently using always want years of experience that I don't have. I'm just looking for something reviewing logs or something along those lines. Any tips or ideas? Thanks!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There really isn't much of an entry level for hard core security positions that I know of. Schools are trying to sell it like there are a massive amount of positions available but most are just people shuffling jobs not new positions getting created. Security related is sys admin/net admin, security/network analyst.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You won't see "entry level" and "security" together in many job descriptions. Help Desk positions often have security functions, such as resetting passwords and such. And then there's physical security work, such as being a security guard.

Reviewing logs is a security-related task that sysadmins do. It would be very rare to find an individual who could tolerate doing only log review as their job. And it's not really necessary because of all the automated tools available to do just that.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    My advise, apply on a Helpdesk or Desktop Support position for a moment and finish your certs while working.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    It's very very hard to really break into this field. Usually you will need to find something that may have bits of security in it, and then work your way up. A couple good choices would be something like a network admin that has firewall administration duties, or a systems admin that has to do security scanning. Also, play a lot on your own with security technology. Learn how to use Snort and write rules for it. You can atleast list it on your resume that you know how to do IDS then. Just keep your head up and build up your security skills, and find a role that does bits of that.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Normally people that I know in computer security get in there through other IT roles. They were Exchange people who had to review logs. Desktop guys who had to secure their desktops and sorta just moved up from there.
    -Daniel
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got into security as a progression from being a sys admin. I think you don't have to move into security from network administration but it is a natural path since security should be an important part of your admin responsibilities.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I got into security as a progression from being a sys admin. I think you don't have to move into security from network administration but it is a natural path since security should be an important part of your admin responsibilities.

That is certainly my plan. I am going to finish off the CCNA at the beginning of this year, than head for the MCITP:EA. Hopefully I can find a Network Admin or SysAdmin job this year.