Completed "Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead" - next step?

saran1234saran1234 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

A quick introduction about me:

I'm a software engineer with very little knowledge about network/security. I bought "Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead" a month back and almost done with the book. I consistently scored about 90% from the practice questions at the end of each chapter.

I'm thinking of reading the "Mega Guide" from preplogic (this is on sale today for $1) and take practice exams from different resources. Do I need to do more than what I have mentioned above?

Thanks in advance
Saran

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums.

I am reading the same book. I think that you should get the Sec+ mega guide (I have one as well) and review it. I also think a transcender or measure up practice exam/exam package would be helpful to gauge you knowledge and what you need to review. Also make sure you review the exam objectives for anything you might have missed.

Have you set a test date?
  • saran1234saran1234 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums.

I am reading the same book. I think that you should get the Sec+ mega guide (I have one as well) and review it. I also think a transcender or measure up practice exam/exam package would be helpful to gauge you knowledge and what you need to review. Also make sure you review the exam objectives for anything you might have missed.

Have you set a test date?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm thinking of taking the exam by the end of Jan 2010. I bought Mega guide for $1 :) today.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    saran1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm thinking of taking the exam by the end of Jan 2010. I bought Mega guide for $1 :) today.

Cool. I will be pass the exam around that time as will you. I think Darrils book is pretty decent and I am a big fan of the font of the book (cannot say it enough), it makes it very easy to read.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would also play around with the security settings in group policy, Internet options, look through the services, basically get some hands-on practice as well.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Cool. I will be pass the exam around that time as will you. I think Darrils book is pretty decent and I am a big fan of the font of the book (cannot say it enough), it makes it very easy to read.

I too agree with you, initially I thought that the font size is bit big, but while reading I felt the advantage. Also, this book is well written and very easy to understand though I had very little knowledge about Security.

-Saran
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the kits from ucertify.com to study for my Server+ and Project+. Their a little bit more expensive but they cover the material pretty well.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Glad you're enjoying the book. I'd like stress two things.

1) The explanations are as important as the questions themselves. The explanations explain why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. If you understand the concepts behind the questions and explanations it doesn't matter how CompTIA words the question - you'll get it right.

2) In addition to the questions at the end of each chapter, you also have a practice exam at the front of the book and another practice exam at the back of the book.

And, it's always valuable to get a different perspective when studying for certifications. I don't think there's a single certification I've achieved without using more than one source.

Good luck on the exam!

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Darril wrote: »
    Glad you're enjoying the book. I'd like stress two things.

1) The explanations are as important as the questions themselves. The explanations explain why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. If you understand the concepts behind the questions and explanations it doesn't matter how CompTIA words the question - you'll get it right.

2) In addition to the questions at the end of each chapter, you also have a practice exam at the front of the book and another practice exam at the back of the book.

And, it's always valuable to get a different perspective when studying for certifications. I don't think there's a single certification I've achieved without using more than one source.

Good luck on the exam!

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364

Thanks for your input. Until now, I was concentrating on only checking the answers and the explanations.
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    saran1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for your input. Until now, I was concentrating on only checking the answers and the explanations.

What helped me.. is doing different chapter practice tests on the CD-Rom, and then reading each chapter from the book (Sybex CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201) . I would study solid for each night for 3 hours this was about 3 weeks before the test. The main thing to keep in mind.. that the questions on any of the practice tests that you are studying are not going to be exactly word for word on the test. The majority of people that I have talked to (including myself) were surprise while taking the test because you get in "the zone" that the questions are going to be the same.. maybe this gets driven into the back of one's mind. Just study hard.. if I can do it.. you can do it. icon_smile.gif
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
    GeeLo wrote: »
    What helped me.. is doing different chapter practice tests on the CD-Rom, and then reading each chapter from the book (Sybex CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201) . I would study solid for each night for 3 hours this was about 3 weeks before the test. The main thing to keep in mind.. that the questions on any of the practice tests that you are studying are not going to be exactly word for word on the test. The majority of people that I have talked to (including myself) were surprise while taking the test because you get in "the zone" that the questions are going to be the same.. maybe this gets driven into the back of one's mind. Just study hard.. if I can do it.. you can do it. icon_smile.gif

Thanks very much for your valuable input and encouragement.