Options

Question on LocalTalk

sxiboysxiboy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just reading through the technotes for Appletalk and I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me.

"Localtalk uses UTP OR STP cabling and has a maximum data transfer rate of 230Kpbs"

Then later it says

"At one side it connects to a computer or printer using a mini-din connector. The other side connects to a phone cable which in turn connects to anothe LocalTalk connector or a terminator - this is known as PhoneNet"

Don't understand, which does it use?.. UTP/STP or Phone wire and pictured connector?...

Prob a daft question but its got me? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    sxiboy wrote:
    Just reading through the technotes for Appletalk and I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me.

"Localtalk uses UTP OR STP cabling and has a maximum data transfer rate of 230Kpbs"

Then later it says

"At one side it connects to a computer or printer using a mini-din connector. The other side connects to a phone cable which in turn connects to anothe LocalTalk connector or a terminator - this is known as PhoneNet"

Don't understand, which does it use?.. UTP/STP or Phone wire and pictured connector?...

Prob a daft question but its got me? icon_rolleyes.gif

Not to sound condisending but lets start with UTP/STP.

This is merely the type of wire you will be using. Unshielded twisted pair Or Shielded twisted pair. Unshield is less costly and more likely what you have seen for smaller network wiring/patch cables/ home networks.

Shield wiring costs more and you'd want to use this if you were having EMI issues to minimize line noise.

photo sketch of utp/stp = PDF file

UTP/STP is available in all the CAT ratings, though UTP is far more common and I cannot recall ever working with STP. Mostly you'll see UTP.

Category 3 16Mhz 10Mbit/s 100Base-T4
    Category 4 20Mhz 16Mbit/s 100Base-T4
    Category 5 (5e) 100Mhz 100Mbit/s 100Base-TX
    Category 6 250Mhz 100Mbit/s 100Base-TX

Ethernet Twisted Pair, Coaxial, Fiber 10 Mbps Linear Bus, Star, Tree

Fast Ethernet Twisted Pair, Fiber 100 Mbps Star

LocalTalk Twisted Pair .23 Mbps Linear Bus or Star

Token Ring Twisted Pair 4 Mbps - 16 Mbps Star-Wired Ring

FDDI Fiber 100 Mbps Dual ring

ATM Twisted Pair, Fiber 155-2488 Mbps Linear Bus, Star, Tree

Ok, I've just provided a bunch of information so I hope not to add to your confusion. :)

The first section describes the features of the various types of cable you will likely find and the ones that can apply to your question.

The second section describes the protocol, the type of wire necessary, the speed, and the configuration/topology you may find that protocal in.

Now Localtalk can use either type of wire UTP or STP the transfer rate needs to be 230kbps or .23Mbps. If you look up at the cable choices, you'll see that all will allow for .23Mbps or 230kbps transfer rate. Pick the cable that meets your budget and network needs.

The photograph is merely showing the APPLE connector used in Localtalk. You probably won't see many in use any longer as Apple supports Ethertalk. Ethertalk will make your network a tad easier to manage.

You'll mainly want to understand that these adapters exist and are proprietary to Apple, and can be used in smaller enviroments.

Does this help?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks for the long reply :o
    I understand about cabling

So basically the older version of localtalk used these connectors with phone cable and newer types use utp/stp icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    drewmandrewman Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    drewman wrote:
    good luck
    ?...