I have a real FUN semester comming up . . .

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
The spring semester starts in a few days for me. The biggest class I'm dreading is Linux. It sounded interesting at first until I learned from my advisor that it's the most failed course and many students spend 30-40 hours a week on it. She recommended that I take it alone but with it surprisingly being only worth 3 credit hours, I had to take 3 additional classes for full-time. I just got 2 600+ sheet packets in the mail yesterday front and back. I do use Linux and have been an A student for over 3 yrs straight but I'm still a bit worried about it. I wished that it would be either worth more credit hours or that the work load be reduced. That's skrewl for you!

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    The spring semester starts in a few days for me. The biggest class I'm dreading is Linux. It sounded interesting at first until I learned from my advisor that it's the most failed course and many students spend 30-40 hours a week on it. She recommended that I take it alone but with it surprisingly being only worth 3 credit hours, I had to take 3 additional classes for full-time. I just got 2 2000+ sheet packets in the mail yesterday front and back. I do use Linux and have been an A student for over 3 yrs straight but I'm still a bit worried about it. I wished that it would be either worth more credit hours or that the work load be reduced. That's skrewl for you!

You'll be fine if you apply yourself. Its actually much easier than people think to get it up and running since so much of it is GUI now. Learn the commands get a linux box or vmware and practise and you will get it. Its a very in demand skill.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    You'll be fine if you apply yourself. Its actually much easier than people think to get it up and running since so much of it is GUI now. Learn the commands get a linux box or vmware and practise and you will get it. Its a very in demand skill.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    I already have a computer dual booted with linux (Fedora 11).
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    My next semester starts up next week. I too will be taking a Linux class, the one I'm taking is intro to Linux. I have no previous experience with Linux so this should be interesting. It sounds like you may have an advantage already. Good luck!
    My next semester starts up next week. I too will be taking a Linux class, the one I'm taking is intro to Linux. I have no previous experience with Linux so this should be interesting. It sounds like you may have an advantage already. Good luck!
    Good luck to you as well :)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck to you in your upcoming class! I just started two classes yesterday, Psychology, and Network security. I have 150 pages to read in the next couple of days..pretty brutal! Especially considering after taking ONT tomorrow, I'm going to dive directly into the CCDA and take that in a few weeks..I don't know how I'm going to keep up!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    add me to the list of folks with a semester starting up next week. Dayum, where did winter break go?!?! icon_sad.gif

This semester I'm taking advanced operating systems, topics in compiler theory, and discrete modeling & analysis. It's my first semester with a full load of masters-level courses, and I'm a little afeared. I did fine last semester taking three classes, but I only switched to working full time for the last few weeks of the semester and two of the classes were 300/undergrad level. Me thinks it's gonna be a tough next few months, but if I stick it out and keep up the work/school schedule, I might be able to finish up in the spring of 2011 rather than summer or fall.

Here's to hoping all our heads don't pop this semester!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    haha one of my co-workers, who can be kinda a slacker(he admits it), is taking his first linux class next semester as well as 3 other classes. But thinks I'm nuts taking 5! Which is CCNA-3, Windows Admin 2, XHTML, Marriage and family(sociology) and Critical thinking.

I already know how CCNA-3 and Windows will be. XHTML, I've been briefed, plus have little prior experience. Marriage and family will be hilarious since I've been single for 6 years and have no kids, lol, Critical thinking will be fun, but kinda tough, I'm assuming...
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
    jjbrog wrote: »
    haha one of my co-workers, who can be kinda a slacker(he admits it), is taking his first linux class next semester as well as 3 other classes. But thinks I'm nuts taking 5! Which is CCNA-3, Windows Admin 2, XHTML, Marriage and family(sociology) and Critical thinking.

I already know how CCNA-3 and Windows will be. XHTML, I've been briefed, plus have little prior experience. Marriage and family will be hilarious since I've been single for 6 years and have no kids, lol, Critical thinking will be fun, but kinda tough, I'm assuming...
    XHTML is not difficult, It's just a revised version of HTML.
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    Yeah thats what I've gathered, its been years but, from what I've heard, the teacher in particular, can be very unclear in assignments, thats the only issue I have, and this semester another teacher isn't a option, cause this class is online only, the others are in class, but the time is taken up by my windows and cisco classes
    Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
    http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
    HTC students encouraged to join :)
    To make my semester more fun I have just been informed that my grandpa has congestive heart failure . . .
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    God have mercy...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather. That really sucks...

Second, I'll be joining you guys next week for my classes as well: Trigonometry, World Regional Geography, and Geology. The only one I'm kinda looking forward to is Geology since it seems halfway interesting. The other two? Ick.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have one class that starts this week and my others start next week. I have a web development class using dreamweaver, intro to psycology, database and design, and history of grand rapids.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Trigonometry, World Regional Geography, and Geology. The only one I'm kinda looking forward to is Geology since it seems halfway interesting. The other two? Ick.
    If you need help with the geology stuff, give me a shout...that's what I got my bachelors in [granted, it was umpteen years ago] and I was a T.A. for a couple classes, and my hubby is now a geology prof. What's the geo class you're taking, is it an intro class to satisfy science credits? Environmental, physical, or historical?

Quick little side story: when I was doing my undergrad, we called the 100-level geo classes "rocks for jocks." My most memorable moment from one of those classes is when a student stopped the prof mid-lecture and said, "Excuse me, you keep using the terms 'sun' and 'star' interchangeably...are you trying to imply that the sun is a star?!" I almost fell out of my chair.

exampasser wrote: »
    To make my semester more fun I have just been informed that my grandpa has congestive heart failure . . .
    So sorry to hear about your grandfather icon_sad.gif

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know you will pass this class, just look at that network+ certification next to your name, if you can pass that challenging certification exam, then I know you can pass this Linux class!!
    Do you need a study buddy for the Linux class? I just started a Linux class this semester titled ”Principles of Linux”, and I would love to talk to someone who is also taking a similar class and share ideas, tips, and study guides. Currently, we are installing SUSE Linux, and using the book titled “Getting Started with Linux: Novell's Guide to CompTIA's Linux+ (Course 3060)”
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    If you need help with the geology stuff, give me a shout...that's what I got my bachelors in [granted, it was umpteen years ago] and I was a T.A. for a couple classes, and my hubby is now a geology prof. What's the geo class you're taking, is it an intro class to satisfy science credits? Environmental, physical, or historical?

I actually remember reading somewhere where you stated that you're BS is in Geology. That's why I chose wisely not to badmouth that class :) All joking aside, it really does look like an interesting class. It's just intro to Geology to satisfy my science requirement. It doesn't look too difficult, but if I have a question, I'll take you up on your offer and I'll PM you!
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know you will pass this class, just look at that network+ certification next to your name, if you can pass that challenging certification exam, then I know you can pass this Linux class!!
    Do you need a study buddy for the Linux class? I just started a Linux class this semester titled ”Principles of Linux”, and I would love to talk to someone who is also taking a similar class and share ideas, tips, and study guides. Currently, we are installing SUSE Linux, and using the book titled “Getting Started with Linux: Novell's Guide to CompTIA's Linux+ (Course 3060)”

It would be really awesome if we could get a linux study group going. I am trying to get one going in the linux+ area
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/49571-linux-coming-months.html

But there has not been much activity. It would be cool if we had a central place for linux noobs to get their learn on. You wouldn't even need to take the L+ at all. BTW I have a linux class coming up next quarter but I want to get the L+ cert so I can take the advanced class (LINUX/UNIX security and networking for network engineers).
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    skrpune wrote: »
    add me to the list of folks with a semester starting up next week. Dayum, where did winter break go?!?! icon_sad.gif

This semester I'm taking advanced operating systems, topics in compiler theory, and discrete modeling & analysis.

Oh those classes sound like a blast skrpune :D Don't have too much fun!! I luckily have a much light semester in the spring rather then the intro to security and cryptography. Network security and networking lab will be much easier it looks like for me.