Passed yesterday with an 835!!!

slim256slim256 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
After taking the SY0-101 about 6 months ago and missed passing by a few points I finally retook the exam and passed the SY0-201 this time. I felt it had a lot better wording and structure this time around.

I read Darrill's book cover to cover and found it covered all of the topics and concepts very well. I also used PrepLogic practice questions that I bought for $10 a few months ago on their site. Thanks Darrill!!!!

Now I think I'm going to work on the Linux+ exam.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Congrats. I hope to be putting that in my list of certs as well. I am reading the Comptia All in One Security + Guide book. I need to also purchase some practice questions. On a scale of 1-10 10 being the hardest, how hard was the test for you?
  • slim256slim256 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well when I finished I was sure I failed because there were a lot of questions that I wasn't sure of but ended up doing well so I'm not sure what to say. I think the CCNA was like a 9 for me and then the Security+ is like a 6 or a 7. If you know the underlying concepts you will do well. Darrill's book is really well as I'm sure the Sybex is too. The difficulty lies in the higher score needed to pass compared to other CompTIA tests. What I thought helped me was mark all the questions I wasn't sure about the answer and then when I was done when back and reviewed the answers that I put down first. I ended changing a few and I think it paid off in the end. Don't worry, you will do fine on it. It's not that difficult of a test.
  • KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. What do you think was the hardest topic.

KM
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    slim256 wrote: »
    After taking the SY0-101 about 6 months ago and missed passing by a few points I finally retook the exam and passed the SY0-201 this time. I felt it had a lot better wording and structure this time around.

I read Darrill's book cover to cover and found it covered all of the topics and concepts very well. I also used PrepLogic practice questions that I bought for $10 a few months ago on their site. Thanks Darrill!!!!

Now I think I'm going to work on the Linux+ exam.

Congratulations! That's a great score.

Glad the book helped.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
  • slim256slim256 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if I would say the hardest topic but the most heavily touched topic was cryptography. If you are reading Darrill's book I would say read chapter 9 a few times. They liked to ask a lot about different types of cryptography and characteristics etc. Some of the questions have a couple of answers that seem like they could work but trust your instinct and don't feel like they are trying to trick you. Hashing/Encrpytion/Authentication/Identfication are also good topics to study.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif
  • worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the nice pass!! Thanks for all of your input as well...
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO