Looking to get more tech related experience...

ElCapitanElCapitan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I graduated with a BS degree in MIS in 2002. Since then, I have ran the marketing department at a small software company. Being small, I wear many hats but mainly it has been business oriented.

While I am secure for now in my position, I am thinking about getting some tech certifications to fall back on. You never know these days…

Anyway, I am leaning toward MCSE unless anyone can sway me. Should I do A+ first and see how I do?

I’d also like to take the class, rather than study myself. Anyone have any recommendations? I am in central Florida…

Look forward to hearing from all of you!

Comments

• ElCapitanElCapitan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    By the way, I do have some project management experience and general IT experience in my current role...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ElCapitan wrote: »
    Anyway, I am leaning toward MCSE unless anyone can sway me.

This might sway you... icon_lol.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2003-general/49425-do-i-still-have-time.html#post370874

If you are going to go after Microsoft I would advise MCITP:EA.

Out of curiousity, have you considered going after the PMP?

http://www.pmi.org/CareerDevelopment/Pages/AboutPMIsCredentials.aspx
    Thanks for the info.

Am I correct in assuming that MCSE is a waste of time and I should go with MCITP?

Also, I wasn't even aware of the PMP certification? Is this widely recognized? Also, is the experience measured? Any of the projects I managed have been small scale and have been a small part of what I do...

Any other certs that you world recommend?
    Thanks for the info.

Am I correct in assuming that MCSE is a waste of time and I should go with MCITP?

Also, I wasn't even aware of the PCP certification? Is this widely recognized? Also, is the experience measured? Any of the projects I managed have been small scale and have been a small part of what I do...

Any other certs that you world recommend?

PMP is the Project Management Professional. It is very well known.

The MCSE is rumored to be retiring this year.
    Thanks.

Regarding the PMP, how is the experience measured? The projects I managed have been small scale and have been a small part of what I do...
    Thanks.

Regarding the PMP, how is the experience measured? The projects I managed have been small scale and have been a small part of what I do...

TechExams.net IT Certification Forums - View Profile: eMeS

I think he would be a good person to talk to about where to go with your career. If you are already in Business IT and you like it, why change?
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks.

Its been a good year plus since i did the cert but on there website should be the application form which has all the different categories of a project you had to be involved in. There is also the CAPM for people without the required 5 years.
    Just wondering how that experience will play out since I work for a small company. Much of my PM experience doesn't follow a special format like the PMI seems to want. Also, a lot of the projects are ongoing with no specific dates... As I mentioned, it's only a small part of my job as we have a PM on staff also but everyone wears different hats here. ;)
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't mind me asking, what company do you work for? I live in the Orlando area. Feel free to pm me.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology