VirtualBox or VMware?

m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all...just passed my 270 yesterday and I have already ordered my MS Press Book for 290. I want to get as much hands on experience as possible with Server 2003 so should I download VirtualBox or VMware Server 2003 for my test pc?

PC is kinda old P3, smaller HDD (40g), 768 of ram or so, and no other apps on it....just XP as the OS....mainly use it for test pc and trial and error stuff.

Suggestions on what virtual program to use?

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd take Virtual Box over VMware Server, but I'd take VMware Workstation over either.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I'm working on the same thing you are (70-290).

For my Lab, I started out with an AMD Athlon 1.6 / 1GB / 40GB / XP Pro box. I'm using M$ Virtual PC 2007. I found that running server 03 and a few workstations really used up the resources (XP = 64MB / Server = 256MB). I bought a 2.8 C2D / 6GB of RAM / 750GB hdd for under $200 USD on eBay. On that system, I'm running everything off of Virtualbox and Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

At work we have several XP Pro 64-bit workstations that need to run 16-bit apps. We are using Virtual PC with the 32-bit XP Pro to run them.

IMO.. Play around with the VM software until you find one you really like.
    Good Luck!
  • m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help guys...appreciate it. So you think I will be alright if I load up Server 2003 on my test machine considering it is a bit old? I do not really have the funds to pick up a new machine at this point so just trying to make due with what I have.

Just to make sure I have this correct...sorry for the stupid questions...but I would load up a virtual version of server and a few virtual versions of workstations in order to really get going on a lab and practice sessions within the book..is this correct?

Michael
    No, you only need one virtualization package. You don't need server for servers, workstation for workstations, etc. (though I believe client-OSes are not supported on VMware Server, but they typically work).

I'd go with Virtual Box for what you're doing. The new web interface in VMware Server 2.0 sucks.
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    dynamik wrote: »
    (though I believe client-OSes are not supported on VMware Server, but they typically work).

They are.
    Officially Supported VMware Server 2.0 Guest Operating Systems - Virtuatopia
    The new web interface in VMware Server 2.0 sucks.
    Agreed. It's a major hassle.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
    Ah, I haven't used Server in awhile. Maybe I was thinking of 1 or the beta of 2...
    Guys thanks for the help...I will prob end up using Virtual Box. Sorry for all the dumb questions but I am a noob when it comes to using the virtual stuff...I apologize for my ignorance. I def need to read through some of the tutorial stuff...I assume I will be able to download Server 03 and then use it to control other pc's in order to set up a domain type environment? That way I get to use AD and all the other goodies associated with Server? Or am I way off in left field?

Thanks,
    Michael
  • mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    No, you only need one virtualization package. You don't need server for servers, workstation for workstations, etc. (though I believe client-OSes are not supported on VMware Server, but they typically work).

I'd go with Virtual Box for what you're doing. The new web interface in VMware Server 2.0 sucks.

Need to clear something up for me please. I just installed virtual box. Do I have to actually install wndows 2003 through VB? If so this means im going to have to install XP, so I can have a client,right? Really confused here.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    Need to clear something up for me please. I just installed virtual box. Do I have to actually install wndows 2003 through VB? If so this means im going to have to install XP, so I can have a client,right? Really confused here.

Virtual box runs INSIDE of an OS (which is important because other virtual solutions run OUTSIDE the OS, see Hypervisor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

You would need to have a machine with an OS installed (say Win XP), install Virtual Box and the using Virtual Box, Install Win Server 2003 or whatever. During that process you can do other things but basically that is what you are going to be doing.

Also this might help User_HOWTOS - VirtualBox
    knwminus wrote: »
    Virtual box runs INSIDE of an OS (which is important because other virtual solutions run OUTSIDE the OS, see Hypervisor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

You would need to have a machine with an OS installed (say Win XP), install Virtual Box and the using Virtual Box, Install Win Server 2003 or whatever. During that process you can do other things but basically that is what you are going to be doing.

Also this might help User_HOWTOS - VirtualBox

So where do I get the clients to add to my domain once I setup my active directory in virtualbox?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So where do I get the clients to add to my domain once I setup my active directory in virtualbox?
    Install them in virtualbox also, if your PC can handle it.

Just go download virtualbox right now and install it on whatever PC you are using. You will figure it out much quicker by just playing around with it for 5 mins.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Hi All-

Downloaded and playing around with VB but still cannot figure out how to get an ISO image or cd image for the different OS's that I want to install. Can someone help me out....or lead me in the right direction here?

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    m1chael wrote: »
    Hi All-

Downloaded and playing around with VB but still cannot figure out how to get an ISO image or cd image for the different OS's that I want to install. Can someone help me out....or lead me in the right direction here?

Thanks,
    Michael

Google

Pick a link. Also go through the new machine creation wizard.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Google

Pick a link. Also go through the new machine creation wizard.

I think you misunderstood what I was asking...? I know how to create a CD from an ISO image. I have used programs like Nero Burning Rom etc to do this. What I don't quite understand is how I get the ISO images or whatever to input into VB so that it will boot whatever OS I am trying to boot? Not sure if that clarifies or not....but I read somewhere online that you have to have the boot disk or ISO image from whatever it is you are trying to load up on VB? If that is the case, I am taking that as I would already have to have an ISO image or boot cd of Server 2003 before I could load it in VB...which I don't have...so to me kind of defeats the purpose...?

Michael
    I think you misunderstood what I was asking...? I know how to create a CD from an ISO image. I have used programs like Nero Burning Rom etc to do this. What I don't quite understand is how I get the ISO images or whatever to input into VB so that it will boot whatever OS I am trying to boot? Not sure if that clarifies or not....but I read somewhere online that you have to have the boot disk or ISO image from whatever it is you are trying to load up on VB? If that is the case, I am taking that as I would already have to have an ISO image or boot cd of Server 2003 before I could load it in VB...which I don't have...so to me kind of defeats the purpose...?

Michael

I beleive you can use the ISO image to install your OS also.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I beleive you can use the ISO image to install your OS also.

You certainty can. That is what I did for the copy of CentOS I have on my laptop right now.

Michael
    The Google search he linked was how to use a physical CD-ROM disc to create an ISO image. Once you have the ISO file of the OS install CD for the OS you want to install, you use the Create New Virtual Machine wizard in VirtualBox to create a new VM (open VirtualBox, click New, follow the instructions).

Do you actually have an install disc for the OS you want to install? Or an ISO image of the install CD?
    MentholMoose
    I have installed windows server in my virtual box on my XP machine. Is it possible for me to now connect to the virtual server domain. Im trying to connect but its not working. My laptop is wireless. Do I have to configure the network card to connect? Or will I have to install XP in the virtual box also?
    I have installed windows server in my virtual box on my XP machine. Is it possible for me to now connect to the virtual server domain.
    Did you create a domain after installing Windows Server? Can your Windows server reach the Internet (web-sites)? What is the VM network configuration?
    Im trying to connect but its not working.
    Connect with what? Another VM installed in vbox? The "XP machine" with vbox? Your laptop (not with vbox installed)? Can you successfully ping either way? (server to client, or client to server) Any error messages?
    My laptop is wireless. Do I have to configure the network card to connect? Or will I have to install XP in the virtual box also?
    What is the VM network configuration? If you are trying to connect from another physical machine, the VM network should be set to bridged mode.
    MentholMoose
    Did you create a domain after installing Windows Server? Can your Windows server reach the Internet (web-sites)? What is the VM network configuration?

Connect with what? Another VM installed in vbox? The "XP machine" with vbox? Your laptop (not with vbox installed)? Can you successfully ping either way? (server to client, or client to server) Any error messages?

What is the VM network configuration? If you are trying to connect from another physical machine, the VM network should be set to bridged mode.

I've actually connected to windows server 2003 domain installed in the vbox with the XP machine with Vbox installed. Don't know what I was thinking because now I wont be able to log on to that server because I would have to log off the XP machine to log into the domain which would close out the vbox. So im assuming I would have to install XP in the vbox also.
    Do you actually have an install disc for the OS you want to install? Or an ISO image of the install CD?

No, I do not have an install disc or ISO image of Server 2003. That is what I am trying to figure out...how do I get an image so I can load it up in VB? I guess I am missing something here?

I just received my MS Prep book with the trial version of Server 2003...I guess I will forgo the whole VB deal and just load up that disc to play around with Server....I feel really stupid that I am the only person to have difficulty figuring this out..go figure!

Michael
    Just a quick update...I was able to follow another link someone posted in another thread about obtaining an iso image of server 03. Downloaded both disc 1 and disc 2 and was able to successfully mount and load up server on VB. Now I wanted to use XP as a client machine on VB so I took my install disc of xp and create an iso image using nero and have been trying to get it to load up but I am not having any luck...still get the "no bootable media found" error message even though the iso image is attached to the client system under the details information?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Michael
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Just a quick update...I was able to follow another link someone posted in another thread about obtaining an iso image of server 03. Downloaded both disc 1 and disc 2 and was able to successfully mount and load up server on VB. Now I wanted to use XP as a client machine on VB so I took my install disc of xp and create an iso image using nero and have been trying to get it to load up but I am not having any luck...still get the "no bootable media found" error message even though the iso image is attached to the client system under the details information?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Michael

Did you remember to extract the Microsoft Corporation.img file that makes the disc bootable? I think even with an .iso you need to replace the file; I could be mistaken, though.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/46202/how-can-i-create-a-windows-server-2003-bootable-cd-rom-that-has-service-pack-1-sp1-slipstreamed-into-it.html

Step 11  - Extract the Imaging File
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    Did you remember to extract the Microsoft Corporation.img file that makes the disc bootable? I think even with an .iso you need to replace the file; I could be mistaken, though.

How can I create a Windows Server 2003 bootable CD-ROM that has Service Pack 1 (SP1) slipstreamed into it?

Step 11* - Extract the Imaging File

Thanks....extracting the MS img file did the trick. I now have Server 03 and XP Pro loaded as virtual workstations in VB. I do have a couple of quick questions regarding setting up server 03 in VB though....

I am walking through the exercises in the MS Press book...basically setting up AD with the domain name (contoso), installing DHCP, DNS, etc....how do I set up the ip info as to not interfere with my personal LAN configuration....as an example I see in the book it wants you to set up the server workstation as 192.168.0.1 but my router already holds that ip address so should I just set up my virtual stuff to use something like 192.168.0.10 or 50 or ?

Thanks...sorry for all the stupid questions.....

Michael
    I am walking through the exercises in the MS Press book...basically setting up AD with the domain name (contoso), installing DHCP, DNS, etc....how do I set up the ip info as to not interfere with my personal LAN configuration....as an example I see in the book it wants you to set up the server workstation as 192.168.0.1 but my router already holds that ip address so should I just set up my virtual stuff to use something like 192.168.0.10 or 50 or ?
    If you are putting these VMs on your LAN, just assign unused addresses that are available (so 192.168.0.10 is fine if nothing else has it). One concern is DHCP... if you enable DHCP on your test server, you generally* want to disable it on your router, or vice versa. Also, when assigning static IPs to VMs, you should generally** choose IPs outside of the range assigned by the DHCP server (either the router, or the 2003 VM).

* It's OK to have two DHCP servers on a network, but you have to configure them to handout different addresses (make each "Address Pool" non-overlapping). For testing purposes, though, you want to make sure your 2003 DHCP server is working, so it's better to have only one running.

** If you statically assign a VM an IP that is in an Address Pool on the DHCP server, you will need to create an exclusion to prevent the DHCP server from trying to give that IP out to a DHCP client.
    MentholMoose
    If you are putting these VMs on your LAN, just assign unused addresses that are available (so 192.168.0.10 is fine if nothing else has it). One concern is DHCP... if you enable DHCP on your test server, you generally* want to disable it on your router, or vice versa. Also, when assigning static IPs to VMs, you should generally** choose IPs outside of the range assigned by the DHCP server (either the router, or the 2003 VM).

* It's OK to have two DHCP servers on a network, but you have to configure them to handout different addresses (make each "Address Pool" non-overlapping). For testing purposes, though, you want to make sure your 2003 DHCP server is working, so it's better to have only one running.

** If you statically assign a VM an IP that is in an Address Pool on the DHCP server, you will need to create an exclusion to prevent the DHCP server from trying to give that IP out to a DHCP client.

MM-

Thanks for all your help...I really appreciate it. I went ahead and assigned static ip's for my vm server and vm xp so thought I was good to go. Then I started doing some basic practice labs through the book and could not get another regular pc to communicate with server. Tried ping command and also tried to join the reg pc to the domain I created but was not having any luck. Did some research online and found out that you need to use the bridged networking mode instead of the standard NAT in order for the rest of your pc's on your LAN to communicate with the VM's. After changing the network settings, I was able to get the two to communicate and completed some labs.

I have not really been using the xp vm I created becse my pc memory is really not adequate at this point so that is why I used a reg machine in my LAN. I will be replacing my memory any day now so now I will be able to just practice using just both the vm server and vm xp. I assume once I am able to use both vm's, I will need to change the settings for the xp guest as well to use the bridged mode in order for both vm's to communicate with each other?

Thanks,
    Michael
    I assume once I am able to use both vm's, I will need to change the settings for the xp guest as well to use the bridged mode in order for both vm's to communicate with each other
    Yes that would be best.
    MentholMoose
  • uncleantuncleant Member Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In your case the best thing would be to set up a host only network. Your vm's wont have internet access but they also wont interfere with your home network. You will also want to shut of the vb dhcp server.