Unauthorized Third-Party Training sites

DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
While doing research for something else, I came across the following page on CompTIA's web site.

Unauthorized Third-Party Training Materials and Offers Policy

It lists specifically which sites CompTIA considers unauthorized. I hear people sometimes ask what is considered unauthorized training materials and this link makes it pretty clear what CompTIA considers unauthorized.

The page also talks about unauthorized vouchers. I haven't heard about anyone paying for a voucher that was found to be fraudulent or already used, but for CompTIA to put it on the website makes me wonder if this is actually occurring.

Darril Gibson
Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
ISBN-10: 1439236364

Security+ Blog
Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    They are basically braindump companies. Another site which is more up to date with braindump sites is Certguard. Better to be safe than sorry.

-ken
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Anything can be faked and sold to a dupe--even certification exam vouchers. In addition to your money, the fraudsters get your credit card information too. Always buy from reputable sellers, use a blind payment method (PayPal), and avoid the too-good-to-be-true deals.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Surprise that preplogic.com is there!
    Certguard considers it a safe site.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seems like painting with a broad brush putting eBay on there...I know what they mean (in terms of ****), however, can't someone buy a legitimate book from eBay for study purposes? The page and pdf reads as if everything available there is unauthorized....

I think they made a mistake referring to these as "training material". They're not really training material in that they don't aid in training.

Also, it seems like they just gave people an easy to refer to list of **** sites....

MS
    janmike wrote: »
    Surprise that preplogic.com is there!
    Certguard considers it a safe site.
    PrepLogic.com is not only safe, but they make excellent training materials and advertise here on TE. I'm sure the inclusion of their site is a mistake and CompTIA should be notified of it.
  • RedneckTechRedneckTech Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What I find amusing about that link is the fact that they are almost tempting you to take a look at those sites...its like telling a child not to touch a hot stove...they are gonna do it anyhow...
    I myself do not like braindump websites and frown upon people who cram just for the certification instead of creating a solid foundation of knowledge. I like to refer to those types of people as 'paperboys'..cuz thats all it is..a piece of paper to them.

I personally think they shouldnt even have that list there because it would probably tempt some people to go to those sites...instead they should just flatly say "These are the only approved sites...yadda yadda yadda..."
  • KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I find amusing about that link is the fact that they are almost tempting you to take a look at those sites...its like telling a child not to touch a hot stove...they are gonna do it anyhow...
    I myself do not like braindump websites and frown upon people who cram just for the certification instead of creating a solid foundation of knowledge. I like to refer to those types of people as 'paperboys'..cuz thats all it is..a piece of paper to them.

I personally think they shouldnt even have that list there because it would probably tempt some people to go to those sites...instead they should just flatly say "These are the only approved sites...yadda yadda yadda..."

That would be ideal. They should also say that if found using these sites your certifications will be revoked.

KM
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just because a product is unauthorized (i.e. PrepLogic), it does not mean it's an illegitimate resource.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Just because a product is unauthorized (i.e. PrepLogic), it does not mean it's an illegitimate resource.
    I should point out that "unauthorized" in CompTIA's definition is an organization that distributes information related to CompTIA products or services who is not a member of the CompTIA Authorized Partner Program. If anyone can find a list of CompTIA's currently authorized partners please post it.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well if I ever wanted to use a braindump, thanks for pointing me in the right direction CompTIA! :p
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    As James already mentioned the listing of PrepLogic was obviously an error. It's been removed from the list and to remove any doubts I'll post (with permission) CompTIA's reply:
    CompTIA takes the security of their certification exams very seriously. As such, our strategy is to err on the side of caution to ensure the integrity of our certification programs. Preplogic.com was flagged by our web patrol because of the statement on your website that you’re materials “simulate the actual exam.” The computers used to patrol the web focus on keep words and phrases and flag sites accordingly. After completing an investigation our security team has cleared your materials and determined they do not infringe on CompTIAs exams and should not be included on the unauthorized materials list.

CompTIA appreciates your ongoing support of our programs and your commitment to bring quality study materials to our candidates. If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Johan
    Preplogic.com was flagged by our web patrol because of the statement on your website that you’re materials “simulate the actual exam.” The computers used to patrol the web focus on keep words and phrases and flag sites accordingly.
    Exam simulations are definitely not the threat to the integrity of CompTIA's certifications.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Exam simulations are definitely not the threat to the integrity of CompTIA's certifications.
    The automated crawling of sites looking for what is deemed to be suspicious phrases is ripe for abuse. Sites will have to screen comments or forums very carefully to prevent the crawler from flagging them as unauthorised material.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    The automated crawling of sites looking for what is deemed to be suspicious phrases is ripe for abuse. Sites will have to screen comments or forums very carefully to prevent the crawler from flagging them as unauthorised material.
    This thread may have flagged us! icon_silent.gif
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Hopefully CompTIA will examine/validate each future site that tests positive before they publicly denounce it as in violation of their Authorized Partners Program.
  • worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Hopefully CompTIA will examine/validate each future site that tests positive before they publicly denounce it as in violation of their Authorized Partners Program.

I agree. Makes me wonder who else might actually be legit, but instead flagged as unauthorized due to their lack of research and just relying on a crawler.
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO