Options

Degrees

fenixataris182fenixataris182 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
What type of job do you think someone could get if they only had an associates degree in Computer Information Systems

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I wouldn't get my hopes up if that's all you have.

Maybe an entry level tech support job...but even then, they may want an A+ and/or a Network+ cert.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I just read my post over. I didn't mean for it to come across negatively. icon_wink.gif

By all means, don't give up no matter what. Apply for as many jobs as you can. You may be able to find an entry level job at a local shop or something.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    CIS or any degree in IT isn't going to get you a whole lot right outta college. Give it time, but a degree for sure is a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A degree slightly helped me but my 1-2 years of experience and certs was more favorable in my search. Most recruiters just look for those 4 letter acronyms and certs with the + symbol next to it. But never give up cause it's worth it in the long run. Don't let your degree go to waste as I see it. Just pick up some books and get a cert.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    What type of job do you think someone could get if they only had an associates degree in Computer Information Systems

I just re-read your post. I got an admin position with a year left on my Associates & no certs for a small to medium size business.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have 2 associates degrees. One in Computer Science and the other in Computer Network Technology and I have the certs listed in my profile. I just now got my first ENTRY level IT job on a help desk.

Bottom line ... the job market is tough, but don't give up you will find something to start out and have room to grow. At least the job I got pays well and has room to advance. Good luck in your job search and don't give up on your degree.
  • Options
    benjiga69benjiga69 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

I am currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science. I am leaning towards Information Security. The University I am going to attend is in Oregon and they offer a Bachelor's degree in CS. The CS specific degree is CSIA(Computer Security & Information Assurance). It is a branch of Computer Forensics. The program is funded by several Large IT companies w/CISCO being one of them. I have read some articles on computer forensics and it sounds like an interesting career. However I have not heard alot about the field in very many of the forums I ascribe to. I am just curious if anyone has any useful knowledge of the fairly new Computer Forensics industry-like what type of pay it invovles, jobs, ect. From what I can gather it seems to be a pretty indepth degree/career involving a susbstancial amount of computer programming and various internet/networking skills. I assume that the types of positions for this degree would be something like government related; CIA/FBI, ect. At any rate it sounds very interesting. I would appreciate any feedback on this subject.

Thanks
    That which is easily obtained, is lightly esteemed!
  • Options
    iremideiremide Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im a mathematics undergrad and ill like to go in IT but i dont know which of the certification i should take
    the fear of God is the beginning of all wisdom