Exchange Experience Help

joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is the best way to gain experience with Exchange Server Administration if you don't work in an environment that uses it? I notice most higher paying job postings want Exchange experience and I have absolutely none. Is it feasible to set up a home testing environment? If not, what are some other recommended options?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Absolutely. I went through the MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator (Exchange 2007) using a home lab.
  • joecontrerasjoecontreras Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great! I have a Microsoft Action Pack subscription and am right not downloading Windows Small Business Server Standard 2008 which includes Exchange Server 2007. I am going to be taking about five or six exams over the next few months in my attempt to attain the MCITP:EA so I figure this would be a good start to my lab.
  • nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I looking to build up some practical Exchange experience too (2003, for 70-284).

I have a MAPS subscription for exchange 2003, and I already run a 2003 domain at home - my ISP only provides me with dynamic IP address, can anybody recommend a good domain registration company with DNS MX record option so I can set up my own mail server?

I like the look of no-ip.com, I have used their free DUC component for remote access, but have little experience of other service provider.s
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Great! I have a Microsoft Action Pack subscription and am right not downloading Windows Small Business Server Standard 2008 which includes Exchange Server 2007. I am going to be taking about five or six exams over the next few months in my attempt to attain the MCITP:EA so I figure this would be a good start to my lab.

I suggest you stay away from SBS as it's not the same as Server 2008 and Exchange 2007. There is a separate exam for SBS 2008 - 70-653.

If you are going to be running your lab in a virtual environment (and you should in order to get virtualization experience) make sure you can load 64-bit VMs. Server 2008 can be 32-bit and there is a lab-only version of Exchange 2007 32-bit, but if you want to work with Exchange 2010 or Server 2008 R2 your only choice is 64-bit.
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I suggest you stay away from SBS as it's not the same as Server 2008 and Exchange 2007. There is a separate exam for SBS 2008 - 70-653.

If you are going to be running your lab in a virtual environment (and you should in order to get virtualization experience) make sure you can load 64-bit VMs. Server 2008 can be 32-bit and there is a lab-only version of Exchange 2007 32-bit, but if you want to work with Exchange 2010 or Server 2008 R2 your only choice is 64-bit.

Ok, so if I run Exchange Server 2007 Standard should I use Windows Server 2008 Standard or Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (or does it matter)and then which VM is recommended, Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Server R2 Enterprise?
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Ok, so if I run Exchange Server 2007 Standard should I use Windows Server 2008 Standard or Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (or does it matter)and then which VM is recommended, Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Server R2 Enterprise?

It does matter which operating system you use, and you should always be familiar with the system requirements since you can expect a few test questions around that. For example, Exchange 2007 isn't supported on Server 2008 R2 and you must use Exchange 2007 SP1 if you want to install on Server 2008 RTM.

As to whether you should install Exchange Standard or Enterprise on Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise depends on your needs. For a couple of databases on a single server, the stand edition of both is fine. If you want to support more databases, you need the Enterprise edition of Exchange. If you want to work with high availability - and you will face several questions about it - you will need the Enterprise edition of both.

Virtual PC doesn't support a 64-bit guest OS. You also can't install Server 2008 as a guest on Virtual Server. Besides, to get practical work experience you should be using Hyper-V on Server 2008 instead of Virtual Server.
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Virtual PC doesn't support a 64-bit guest OS. You also can't install Server 2008 as a guest on Virtual Server. Besides, to get practical work experience you should be using Hyper-V on Server 2008 instead of Virtual Server.
    Thanks Claymoore for all the great information! One question more if you don't mind: I have researched the Hyper-V and will go that way but my question is, although I easily find CPUs that support Intel-VT, do the motherboards need to support Intel-VT or will it automatically support it if the CPU is supported? Maybe a question for a different section of the forums. Maybe even an odd question but I am having trouble figuring this on out.
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    I learned on the job as problems arise. I'm not an "Exchange guy" but I can figure out some things here and there. I'd say get a Exchange MSPress book, setup a lab and play away. Or you can go to school.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Thanks Claymoore for all the great information! One question more if you don't mind: I have researched the Hyper-V and will go that way but my question is, although I easily find CPUs that support Intel-VT, do the motherboards need to support Intel-VT or will it automatically support it if the CPU is supported? Maybe a question for a different section of the forums. Maybe even an odd question but I am having trouble figuring this on out.

The motherboards usually do support it, most offering a toggle to turn it on or off. Obviously, make sure to turn it on.
    Good luck to all!