2950 vs 3500xl switches

jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
Ok I know obviously theres syntax differences, but I have two 2950s, and a 3500xl. I don't want to have to spend the cash on a 3rd switch, so abouts where all would I run into issues in the commands?
aside from having to do different commands, are there any other issues at the ccna(and ccna:s)level I should be concerned about? I haven't really messed with the 3500xl, and am just getting into switching now as my last class was all routing.
Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
HTC students encouraged to join :)

Comments

• contr04contr04 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jjbrog wrote: »
    Ok I know obviously theres syntax differences, but I have two 2950s, and a 3500xl. I don't want to have to spend the cash on a 3rd switch, so abouts where all would I run into issues in the commands?
    aside from having to do different commands, are there any other issues at the ccna(and ccna:s)level I should be concerned about? I haven't really messed with the 3500xl, and am just getting into switching now as my last class was all routing.

maybe just on some of the SDM stuff in the sp exam, which you need a layer3 switch or a router for. otherwise those are fine
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jjbrog wrote: »
    I have two 2950s, and a 3500xl. I don't want to have to spend the cash on a 3rd switch
    The 3500XL (hopefully EN version) should be fine as your 3rd switch.

Part of the fun of having an older switch as your 3rd switch is the fun of finding the command differences icon_lol.gif

You may have ISL and 802.1Q trunking on the 3500XL -- the 2950s only support 802.1Q.

QoS & Multicast may have differences -- but that's CCNP (and beyond) stuff to worry about.

You're fine switching wise for the ICND1/ICND2/CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Part of the fun of having an older switch as your 3rd switch is the fun of finding the command differences icon_lol.gif

So I have learned Mike.... icon_wink.gif

I have two 3500XLs and they are definitely different in some ways from the 2950 I have. I made the mistake of thinking they were identical to the 3550.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I made the mistake of thinking they were identical to the 3550.
    icon_eek.gif I hope you didn't pay 3550 prices for them.

Some vendors on eBay "fuzz" their auctions and will put 3500XL and 3550 in the auction subject/title to get the search hits. It isn't until you read the description and even look at the pictures that you can see it's not an auction for 3550 switches. icon_rolleyes.gif But if you haven't done your homework or read the Cisco Data Sheets you may fall for the seller's ploy.

I use 3500XL-EN switches in the non-lab portions of my home network and even bought a couple extra PoE versions for my Voice Lab while my 3550 PoE is over in the R&S side of my Lab.

2924XL-EN or 3500XL-EN can be used as your 3rd switch in a CCNA Lab -- as long as the price is right. If people are selling them for more than a 2950, get a 3rd 2950 switch.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Some vendors on eBay "fuzz" their auctions and will put 3500XL and 3550 in the auction subject/title to get the search hits. It isn't until you read the description and even look at the pictures that you can see it's not an auction for 3550 switches. icon_rolleyes.gif But if you haven't done your homework or read the Cisco Data Sheets you may fall for the seller's ploy.
    From some posts on here, some sellers are even less scrupulous than that. They'll do the suspicious auction description/title and then "accidentally" send you a 3500XL. If you notice and complain then they'll swap it for your 3550.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    tiersten wrote: »
    From some posts on here, some sellers are even less scrupulous than that. They'll do the suspicious auction description/title and then "accidentally" send you a 3500XL. If you notice and complain then they'll swap it for your 3550.

Lately I have noticed people selling complete "labs" on ebay. They include pictures of real equipment but when you read the small print they say the auction is for GNS3 with IOS images. Not exactly deceiving people but bordering on the edge of decency. Selling free and copyrighted software for upwards of £25!!

Some also claim to include tutoring videos on the DVD. I can only imagine they are Trainsignal or CBTNuggets.

It looks like they are being removed by ebay but they always seem to reappear within a day or so.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    Hey thanks for the info. I agree totally though on buying from people via ebay, lots of bullsh*tters out there. they either want way to much.

That and many of them don't really know Cisco, so they'll give a bad description or a wrong one all together. You might be best off buyig off people who can give you a show version, so then you know its correct, and even works. Some i know just checks to see if the thing turns on, not knowing the ports are screwed up, that happened to me once, I posted the errors on here and also took it into class to show my teacher, and everyone said it was probably fried.
  • jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
    That too! I even seen packet tracer once!

Also I think cbt nuggets and trainsignal can't be resold, correct me if I'm wrong
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_eek.gif I hope you didn't pay 3550 prices for them.

I use 3500XL-EN switches in the non-lab portions of my home network and even bought a couple extra PoE versions for my Voice Lab while my 3550 PoE is over in the R&S side of my Lab.

2924XL-EN or 3500XL-EN can be used as your 3rd switch in a CCNA Lab -- as long as the price is right. If people are selling them for more than a 2950, get a 3rd 2950 switch.

No, I paid very little for them.