Options

ICND1 making progress

bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
So I've been using the Wendall Odom book and doing labs and making pretty good progress.

I have been memorizing all the tables and and understanding the concepts for exam prep. At the end of each chapter it says knows certain tables and terms. I've been making flash cards and memorizing all of it.

I guess my question is how big of a role is this memorization going to take place on the test.

I know the test is going to mainly be simulation and understanding concepts and scenarios. I just want to be sure to study correctly.

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    You should print a copy of the Exam Topics Blueprint from the Cisco Learning Network. You will need to register to download the blueprint. Use this as a guide to what you may be asked on the exam. Also, the learning network has some practice exams and a decent board to ask questions. Not to say that TE isn't good, many helpful people here.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    Yeah and I have done that but it seems broad to me. I'll just keep at it and doing the Boson Netsim labs and reading the Wendall Odom book. That's what was originally recommended to me.

Would you have any other recommendations on following the blueprint to study? Sure I know what the blueprint says but what's the best way to know the objectives on that blueprint?
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    bcall64 wrote: »
    Yeah and I have done that but it seems broad to me. I'll just keep at it and doing the Boson Netsim labs and reading the Wendall Odom book. That's what was originally recommended to me.

Would you have any other recommendations on following the blueprint to study? Sure I know what the blueprint says but what's the best way to know the objectives on that blueprint?

I would say to follow those guidelines to be able to described anything that consists to that guideline. It may help you to get a practice exam that way you can gauge your studying properly.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    If you can score 80% or better on the exams that come with the Odom books, you're on the right path. :D
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the icnd1 today and failed, which doesn't mean I am the smartest but I have current advice.

Know the "show" commands inside and out. Not just the commands themselves but what is displayed in them.

Know subnetting inside and out. I am talking like snapping fingers if you know what I mean.

Labs are good but the troubleshooting is more important than setting up in my opinion. I wish I could tell so much more but rules are rules

I hope for you the best and I hope this helps if you have any questions don't be afraid to private message me.

Good luck
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Subnetting is key. Dont just know it, you have to know it inside out since most of the ICND1 questions will relate to it somehow. Know your basic show commands and how to look for output such as encasulation mismatch when serial links are not working HDLC, PPP etc...Know the basics of routing and RIP and why routes may not be appearing in routing tables.

Know the basics of NAT such as dynamic, static, overload, inside, outside, local, global.

Know what happens to a packet/frame as it traverses a network or networks.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mella060 wrote: »
    subnetting is key. Dont just know it, you have to know it inside out since most of the icnd1 questions will relate to it somehow. Know your basic show commands and how to look for output such as encasulation mismatch when serial links are not working hdlc, ppp etc...know the basics of routing and rip and why routes may not be appearing in routing tables.

Know the basics of nat such as dynamic, static, overload, inside, outside, local, global.

Know what happens to a packet/frame as it traverses a network or networks.

exellent advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!