Study Material

kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
2 Questions...

Right now, I have the SY0-201 Sybex book (4th edition) that I'm studying from, and I'm looking to get the Exam Cram practice questions (ISBN-13: 9780789742582) as a 2nd source to study from. Has anyone had a good experience with the Exam Cram or the practice exam for SY0-201 for Sec+ as study material?

I have the Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals (ISBN-13: 9781428340664) book from school. It's got a lot of good information and has a testing engine along with it. I'm not sure if that's a good source or not to study from. I haven't seen that book used as study material, but I guess it can't hurt. I'm wondering if any of you have used this book as additional study material?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a good experience with the Exam Cram or the practice exam for SY0-201 for Sec+ as study material?

I really like the ExamCram book for the Security+. After a large book on a certification, a smaller one can make it easier to digest the information.
  • RedneckTechRedneckTech Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    2 Questions...

Right now, I have the SY0-201 Sybex book (4th edition) that I'm studying from, and I'm looking to get the Exam Cram practice questions (ISBN-13: 9780789742582) as a 2nd source to study from. Has anyone had a good experience with the Exam Cram or the practice exam for SY0-201 for Sec+ as study material?

I have the Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals (ISBN-13: 9781428340664) book from school. It's got a lot of good information and has a testing engine along with it. I'm not sure if that's a good source or not to study from. I haven't seen that book used as study material, but I guess it can't hurt. I'm wondering if any of you have used this book as additional study material?

I am also using Sybex as well. Apart from that I also intent to get the Exam Cram as my coworkers have stated that it is a good secondary source of material. Besides that, I think you you focus on both of these materials you should have no problem passing the exam (or at least I hope so, because I'm trying to think positive on it=)
  • saran1234saran1234 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using Darril Gibson's "Get Certified Get Ahead", which is pretty good but I haven't taken the exam yet so please take my recommendation as a pinch of salt. The review for this book is pretty good both in this forum and also in amazon.
  • worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Darril's book too and that was all I needed to pass the exam today. Very well written, I must say. I heard the Sybex book was not a very good book for this exam.
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    worldmac1 wrote: »
    I used Darril's book too and that was all I needed to pass the exam today. Very well written, I must say. I heard the Sybex book was not a very good book for this exam.

Thanks for the kind words. It's very gratifying knowing that people are passing Security+ with the help of this book.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
  • worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril,

I have always used either Sybex or Cisco Press for my studies,and sometimes Exam Cram. I don't usually go off the tried and true path of my practice of sudying, but when I saw the reviews of your book online, I thought, "What the Heck." I will say this, I wished it had a CD with the book in PDF format so I didn't have to lug my laptop and the book around. Other than that I give the book a 10.
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO