Server 2003? SBS 2003?

timoskitimoski Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I got myself a copy of server 2003, but the option to install the actual OS is greyed out on the install splash screen. The other optional extra components can be installed ok. I cant find a way around it, if Im missing something obvious, be great if you could let me know.

As a alternative I have a copy of SBS 2003. I have read up on the technical differences and limitations, but what I need to know is, would it be viable to use SBS server to learn may around a server 2003 enviroment? How similar are they in terms of general proceedures etc? Would learning the enviroment of SBS leave me open to nasty surprises when having to perfrom sims etc in S2003 for the exam? Thanks!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I personally hate SBS. It's fine for small businesses, but you don't want to use it for MCSA/E studies. When you say splash screen, you mean you're already running an OS and that's what comes up when you put the CD in? You probably need to boot off of it and install clean.
  • timoskitimoski Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For some reason I cant boot off it, damn annoying. It will try and then default to my HD. It seems others have been able to . Its not a legit copy I have to admit, but plenty claim to have installed it no problem.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you just download a trial? You get more than enough time...
    dynamik wrote: »
    Why don't you just download a trial? You get more than enough time...
    Ill check it out, thanks
    Be buggered if I can find it on MS's web site!
  • m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    timoski wrote: »
    Be buggered if I can find it on MS's web site!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/70-290-server/49580-where-can-i-get-copy-server-2003-a.html

You started this thread awhile back and someone listed the link (that I posted above)?? Its a link to the iso image....or you can get a copy by buying the MS Press Book:)

Michael