CCNP Exams class led or Self Study

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm not quite ready yet but possibly in the next 6 months I'm going to start on the CCNP track. I have been fortunate enough that my work has agreed to pay for a Global Knowledge Course for me but this maybe for only 1 or 2 of the exams. I would never rely fully on a classroom led course to get me through the exam. I'm well aware that a lot home labs/practice needs to be put in before you can pass a Cisco exam. Being that work may only pay for 1 or 2 I wanted to know which exams people found most difficult to study. I intend to self study and practice with labs for all exams but for the most difficult I would like to use the classroom course to give me a better understanding.

Comments

• Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I would say learn all of the BSCI and BCMSN material you can fit into your brain between now and then and take those two courses in a classroom right before you sit the exam.

For one, these two are pretty well agreed upon to be the most difficult, and secondly, they will still be valid credit when this whole CCNP change occurs that everyone is talking about.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    I would say learn all of the BSCI and BCMSN material you can fit into your brain between now and then and take those two courses in a classroom right before you sit the exam.

For one, these two are pretty well agreed upon to be the most difficult, and secondly, they will still be valid credit when this whole CCNP change occurs that everyone is talking about.

Most do say that the BSCI and BCMSN are most difficult. I didn't think the BCMSN was too hard. But, I did spent A LOT of time preparing for the exam. I spent 2 months total, but about 3-4 hours a day preparing. The BSCI has been difficult to study for and I'm sure the exam will be pretty tough. I will be able to confirm that in 12 days. If you're not starting for 6 months, I would wait to see what the change is that happens at the end of this month and gauge your studies based on that. I would say take the courses along with self study it would definitely help. I've done everything self study because I can't afford the courses and don't have time to do them. I have college to do, plus work full time, married with two kids and one on the way. So, self study has definitely been better for me.
  • cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Errr! Change to the CCNP track this is the first I have heard of it. Is all the info on the Cisco website will need to check this out.

If work only pay for one course which one do you think would be good to back up my self study the BSCI or BCMSN.

Thanks for you help
  • cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    Errr! Change to the CCNP track this is the first I have heard of it. Is all the info on the Cisco website will need to check this out.

If work only pay for one course which one do you think would be good to back up my self study the BSCI or BCMSN.

Thanks for you help

Just found the info browsing around the forum. 3 exams the one troubleshooting sounds interesting. I see that both exams will be retired at the end of 2010. I'm wondering when all the courses will be launched and I can actually start studying them though. I have the CCNA security to get done first so I think wrapping both these up by the end of the year maybe a push. It looks like you need BCSI and BCMSN to qualify for the troubleshoot exam. I was thinking perhaps I could just do BCSi and one of the new exams but does not look like you can do this,
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    Don't wait, start now. Routing protocols don't change much :D
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    If you have a chance to get some training take it. The BSCI exam is some of the hardest stuff to remember and prep for if its not in your everyday job. I work as a network admin on a huge network and I still have trouble remembering all the stuff. Also lab practice is a must you need to have plenty of lab time to pass this and know how to apply it when needed. Get the class if you can.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I would say a combo of both if you can get it. For the CCNA I was fortunate enough to be able to take a class, a very good one. I passed first time, single exam track. But for the CCNP, I have not had the opportunity to take any courses, time and money restraints. So self study has been the way. I've done ok, but I am certain a little classroom time would have been good for certain topics. So if you got it, it wont hurt.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    The Global Knowledge courses are OK, but it is not enough detail for the exam. They give you an exam voucher and access to their labs which are pretty good. You are going to need some Cisco Press and maybe a few other study aids to get through the exams.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say to do as much self study as possible books, cbts and labs. Once done then would be a good time to look at a class. There's nothing worse than going to a bootcamp for something you haven't a decent concept or understanding of the material about to be reviewed.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    keenon wrote: »
    I would say to do as much self study as possible books, cbts and labs. Once done then would be a good time to look at a class. There's nothing worse than going to a bootcamp for something you haven't a decent concept or understanding of the material about to be reviewed.

I totally agree. You might find that you enjoy self study better and retain more information that way. I think I retain more information this way than I would in a course.