Name Change

RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
When I got married back in 2002, for some reason (don't ask, it's a long story), I had my wife's name hypenated with mine.

e.g. (fake name) I was David West, I am now David West-Sills.

I'm going through the name change via Probate court (no, we are not getting divorced; I just want MY name back LOL). They say it's going to take 6 weeks.

I want to take a test (or more) before that time, but when I was on the site to sign-up, they wanted my name obviously.

I want "David West" on all the certs...do you think I'll be able to sign up as that even thougn my license, credit cards etc. have "David West-Sills"?

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your best bet would be to call Prometric, Vue, or the test center and ask them.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I doubt that any vendor or testing center is really going to care, considering that many people use their middle names as their first, for example. Put down the name you want to appear on your cert and don't stir the pot with the exams unless asked about it. I can guarantee you it'll fly under the radar.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    As stated before me, it shouldn't be a problem.
    If I'm not mistaken, you should have a Prometric ID linked to your name, which is all Prometric would care about.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Quite frankly, these companies wouldn't care if your name was "Rufie McDaterape", as long as you could provide some identification with something to that effect and you were willing to pay good money to carry a little plastic card with their logo right above the name.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I got married back in 2002, for some reason (don't ask, it's a long story), I had my wife's name hypenated with mine.

I'm going through the name change via Probate court (no, we are not getting divorced; I just want MY name back LOL). They say it's going to take 6 weeks.

I want to take a test (or more) before that time, but when I was on the site to sign-up, they wanted my name obviously.

I want "David West" on all the certs...do you think I'll be able to sign up as that even thougn my license, credit cards etc. have "David West-Sills"?
    Quitter! icon_wink.gif

I know another guy who did this. I'm sure you two are not alone. I also know a guy who took his wife's last name. At least it wasn't Johnson and your wife's last name was also Johnson...

Please see The Web Site is Down if you do not understand this.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Seriously... what's the big deal about having a wife when you have TE? icon_cool.gif Enough whining and drama happens here to last a lifetime. You can get other services without the attachment rather easy...

Marriage just seems like a very expensive endeavor, and if you happen to become just a statistic in the divorce rate... even more so expensive.

I do believe I enjoy my cisco books, TE, and the occasional one night stand > being chained to another person financially, emotionally, intimately, etc.

Don't even get me started on kids. I'm 23 (today!) and I am highly considering getting the old snip snip done. If more people would be proactive and realize they probably wouldn't make the best parents, the world would be a better place :)

Anyhow back on topic, you should be fine as others have said :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105

Apologies for going off topic but I have to ask WHY you did the whole hyphen thing to begin with? I had a former professor who did the same and I always thought it was odd.

I think it is perfectly fine for a woman to do the hyphen thing or retain her maiden name or her ex-husband's name if she wants to keep the same last name as her children or it has something to do with being well known via her profession with that name.

I just don't see why a man would want to append his wife's name to his. It sounds all new agey and enlightened or worse politically correct. Women may be burdened with all these choices but I don't see why any man would want the burden of changing his last name to appease his wife.

To me a man should be proud of his family name. My dad was lied to for 40 years by his parents about his real biological father and we just recently discovered the name of his biological father. A family name is an important thing...I wouldn't have been so quick to change it.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't even get me started on kids. I'm 23 (today!) and I am highly considering getting the old snip snip done.

I heard the new procedure is to smash the boys between two bricks.

MS
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Norbie wrote: »
    Apologies for going off topic but I have to ask WHY you did the whole hyphen thing to begin with? I had a former professor who did the same and I always thought it was odd.

I think it is perfectly fine for a woman to do the hyphen thing or retain her maiden name or her ex-husband's name if she wants to keep the same last name as her children or it has something to do with being well known via her profession with that name.

I just don't see why a man would want to append his wife's name to his. It sounds all new agey and enlightened or worse politically correct. Women may be burdened with all these choices but I don't see why any man would want the burden of changing his last name to appease his wife.

To me a man should be proud of his family name. My dad was lied to for 40 years by his parents about his real biological father and we just recently discovered the name of his biological father. A family name is an important thing...I wouldn't have been so quick to change it.

I'm guessing that more than a few here have been waiting for someone to pull the pin on this grenade....

Personal opinion aside, someone hyphenating their name has no effect on me, other than to increase the amount of comedy material that I have to work with. I guess my take on this one is "to each his own" appended with "but have a thick skin".

MS
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Is this some feminist thing going around? I found this very odd also. I also agree about keeping the family name intact and I think this hyphen thing is just going to complicate things for the kids when they go through school and everything else. I know I had a hard time in school with my last name since it's named after a major American city. I think it was a mistake when my ancestors changed it when they came from Poland to be more "American".
  • RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All I will say is that it was a dually agreed upon decision made many years ago, that now, both of us have come to regret.

And getting it changed back is a Probate Court nightmare! :)