Will this be a good lab?

Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I'm studying for my ccna and taking the 2 test route. I am using the cbtnuggets serious with cisco press books and sme other book that I was giving. My lab so far consist of a 2924xl switch, 2950 switch and 2 2500 router with 2 serial ports on each and one ethernet por on each. Will this be enough for at least the icnd1. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
CCENT

Comments

• RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    The only thing with the 2500 series routers is that the max IOS is 12.3 and it does not support the SDM.

It is a good start. If you plan to go any further, I would recommend getting a router that can support the 12.4 IOS and SDM, such as any of the 2600XM series or the 3640.

The 2950 switch is fine, the only thing it doesn't have that the 3550, if I recall correctly, is that it doesn't support Layer 3 switching, with the 3550 does.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I would also recommend getting at least one 2600 XM router. You can also run CME on a 2600XM. On a tight budget For my money I'd buy a 2611 for an internet access router and then any 2600XM.
  • Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tha_dub wrote: »
    I would also recommend getting at least one 2600 XM router. You can also run CME on a 2600XM. On a tight budget For my money I'd buy a 2611 for an internet access router and then any 2600XM.

So this setup would not work even for the icnd1? And thanks for all the inputs I will start looking at some more routers.
    CCENT
    It would work fine for icnd 1. My thinking is what is the price diff between a 2611 and a 25XX ?

You could pickup a 2611 for 50 bucks on ebay. The XM models are faster and support a lot more features but I guess the real question is what do you want to do with them once you've completed the icnd1?
  • mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kinda like a 2500 series better than a regular 2600. I dunno, but there's something sad about a 2600 without xm. Plus the wic and nm's cost money too.
  • Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tha_dub wrote: »
    It would work fine for icnd 1. My thinking is what is the price diff between a 2611 and a 25XX ?

You could pickup a 2611 for 50 bucks on ebay. The XM models are faster and support a lot more features but I guess the real question is what do you want to do with them once you've completed the icnd1?[/QUOT

I'm just short on cash right now that's all. And since I already have all the equipment I figured I'll just work with what I have now. But I'm gonna start looking for what you recommended.
    CCENT
  • celtic_tigerceltic_tiger Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thre is also i have heard boson network simulator which simulates the newer routers etc. without you having to buy all the equipment. The 5.? packet tracer I have only suports the older equipment and some of the more advanced security commands are not supported.

Its a cheaper solution using simulators and I have not aquired any yet so i suppose the more experienced users can give the pro's and cons.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    If you're already comfortable working with the physical aspect of routers (plugging in power cords, cable, modules, etc), have you tohught about giving dynagen/dynamips/gns3 a shout? If your PC can handle it you can run quite a few higher level IOS's if you can obtain them.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would recommend getting a 2600XM. You can get a 2610xm for about $95 with free shipping one year warranty from Ebay.
    I don't know if I missed it but if you already have the 25xx routers then you are fine.... I was thinking along the lines of purchasing one or the other....

Whatever the 2500's won't do you can read about and you will be okay
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Personally, I would not get rid of the 2500 series you have. They are great for setting up branch offices in a Frame Relay scheme. being cheap, they are a good way to add bulk to the rack.

Although not rack mountable, do not sell the 1721 routers short. With the right IOS, they are SDM compatible (the 1720s are not SDM Compatible.) Also, the 1760s are a workable choice.

3640s are another option and can be had with modules for $50 to $100.

A good module to have is an NM-4A/S. Put that in a low dollar router like a 2610 and you have a good box for a Frame Relay Switch. it is generally cheaper to buy one of these than it is to buy 2 WIC-1Ts.

As mentioned by a previous reply, the 2611 in an inexpensive choice for a router to supply internet access. It has 2 10BaseT ethernet connections, but few ISPs provide even that as far as connection speeds.

I managed to pick up a 2621XM from EvilBay for less than $50 (that was a fluke) and a 2610XM with CME 4.1 I am using in my Voice Lab for ~$80 delivered!

Just a few thoughts.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there something about the 2600xm's that make them a better bang for the buck than a 3640? It looks like the latter offers more room for growth at around the same cost.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I agree with the 26**XM series. I got my 2620XM with 128/32 with 12.4 for $60 shipped. The 3640's Ive looked at are all a little more expensive than the 26**XM series sans the 2650/51XM... which I would love to get.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU