Options

memory for a cisco 1760

tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
I'm still working on building a voice lab. Currently have a 2611 in transit I picked up for 25+ shipping. I'm thinking I'll buy a 1760 for my CME. In my searches on ebay I've noticed the ones with small flash and ram are really cheap. My understanding is I can use generic compact flash if I need more flash but what about RAM? The sellers listing cisco 1760 ram want quite a bit for it. Is there a generic PC/Laptop memory I could throw in and what is the specs?

THANKS!

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You sure it takes CF cards? Last time I checked, it used a proprietory flash card.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    No I'm not sure...

While surfing I read a couple articles stating it was not an issue to use generic flash and I know everything on the internet is true so.....
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    tha_dub wrote: »
    I'm still working on building a voice lab. Currently have a 2611 in transit I picked up for 25+ shipping. I'm thinking I'll buy a 1760 for my CME. In my searches on ebay I've noticed the ones with small flash and ram are really cheap. My understanding is I can use generic compact flash if I need more flash but what about RAM? The sellers listing cisco 1760 ram want quite a bit for it. Is there a generic PC/Laptop memory I could throw in and what is the specs?

THANKS!
    The flash is a simm/dim format, a bit like PC ram rather than a compact flash card.

I believe the flash and ram in the 1760 is the compatible with the 2600xm series, in the UK I have noticed 2600xm ram and flash is cheaper on ebay than 1760 ram.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tha_dub wrote: »
    I've noticed the ones with small flash and ram are really cheap.
    Those are probably the old models which have the fixed 16 Meg Flash, rather than the fixed 32 Meg Flash. The fixed DRAM could be 32 or 64 Meg. That would limit your upgrade to the 1760 MAX of 160 DRAM and 64 Meg Flash -- but still should be upgradable enough to support CME in a Lab.

Look for the black square with the 32 in it above the Ethernet port to get a newer 1760 with the max fixed 64/32 memory on board.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!