How much money can I get with A+,N+, MCSA, CCNA, & Secur

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
These are the certs Im planning to have after June or July with New Horizons Cyber Defenders Program! These accomplisments are only half of the program and Im not taking the second half of the program.

New Horizons has been a bad experience and not much help in achieving my certs! Basically it has been all self study and just using some resources of their but stuff I could of bought on my own with way cheaper than the $8000 paid for the classes and vouchers.

How much money can I get with A+, N+, MCSA, CCNA, and Security+???
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Not a lot without experience. Even with those, youmay still need to go entry level to start. Paper-techs don't go far.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how much are you talking about???
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Not a lot without experience. Even with those, youmay still need to go entry level to start. Paper-techs don't go far.

I agree!!

Entry-level, maybe. Even with experience holding a certificate doesn't warrant someone a 'management' type position.

What is it you wish to do and or specialize in regarding 'IT'? Or more importantly, what do you enjoy with respect to computers that you wanted those specific certifications.

Plus, it depends upon how flooded your market (area) currently is with people who have years of experience and no certs.

Certifications are nice as a guide, but Personality and Experience will usually result in the best jobs. Networking (i.e. people networking) will also pay off long before holding a certificate.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    For entry help desk, which is usually 70-90% phone work, probably $9-12 hour, depending on where you live. That's only a guess. The most I've seen for help desk is around 32k.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:

I agree!!

Entry-level, maybe. Even with experience holding a certificate doesn't warrant someone a 'management' type position.

What is it you wish to do and or specialize in regarding 'IT'? Or more importantly, what do you enjoy with respect to computers that you wanted those specific certifications.

Plus, it depends upon how flooded your market (area) currently is with people who have years of experience and no certs.

Certifications are nice as a guide, but Personality and Experience will usually result in the best jobs. Networking (i.e. people networking) will also pay off long before holding a certificate.

I got a masters degree in Computer Science as well

I was hoping to be an System Adminstrator at first and then work with Security.

Man, this is really sad news! what is the point of getting a MCSA and Cisco CCNA cert if they still give you entry level jobs positions just like an A+ and N+ cert!!
  • HackNackHackNack Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have way too much paper my friend. It's time to get a job -- any job -- that deals with computers and get yourself some experience. Believe me, it will be an eye opener.
    x_Danny_x wrote:

I got a masters degree in Computer Science as well

I was hoping to be an System Adminstrator at first and then work with Security.

Man, this is really sad news! what is the point of getting a MCSA and Cisco CCNA cert if they still give you entry level jobs positions just like an A+ and N+ cert!!

Not trying to disappoint you, but the reality is there are a LOT of very talented, very skilled people already in the market. There is always room for new blood, but no one starts at the top.

And with a CS degree, I'd inquire why you felt you needed certs too? The System Admins I know worked there way up from help desks.

Go and get a job, be enthusastic and prove yourself. Other option is to go into business for yourself. If your young or look young, be ready for people to not completely take you seriously until they see what you can do. You sound like you have a lot of training, just need to get you out there! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

The Computer Science degrees where Bachelors and Masters in concentration in Computer Programming!

I join the bandwagon because everybody was doing it! I wasnt very good at it when I graduated with my Bachelors and didnt took it seriously.

So to make up for lost time I decided to do my masters! I realize it was too late to catch up cause I wasnt advancing enough or had the skills level of Masters graduate

I hated programming anyway, but I fell in love with Networking! I love what I can do with computers and how they communicate!

That is why I want to go into how networks work and how to protect them cause I love them soo much! Thus going into Security!

I had big dreams of starting with a $45,000 job and up!

Im kinda bum big time right now! I have alot of loans to payback from college.

Thanks for your support though, I have to get that attitude.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    x_Danny_x wrote:

I agree with that statement. Thats why I don't like all these "training companies" producing paper IT "experts". It has 2 major negative effects on the industry.

1. It completely devalues the certification process to the point where skilled and experienced people have qualifications on par with newbies to the industry.

2. It gives people entering the industry such as yourself false hopes that all this hard work, study and "training" will get you into a rewarding high paying job.

I agree with everyone when they say you need experience and unfortunately even though you laid out all that cash for an education you have start at the bottom of the ladder with a low paying job. Sorry that we had to break this news to you but its the same for everyone.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    As other posters basically said, you're getting your hopes up. Simply gathering a bunch of certifications and having no work experience is not going to get you a high paying job to start off. It may provide you with greater flexibility when you get some experience under your belt, but for now, I would look for an entry-level job and begin working your way up.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I know this figure is different for different parts of the world but in Nashville the starting average salary with someone who has an A.A.S in networking is around 32k.

This has been the average for two year now according to the graduate job reports posted at my school.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got my first ENTRY level IT job on a helpdesk and they are starting me at $12.50/hr or 24k a year with benefits, vacation, etc.

I have 2 AAS degrees and this was the best job I could land. Just need to get some experience before getting the granddaddy job which I hope will happen to me in the next 5 years :D
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    New Horizons has been a bad experience and not much help in achieving my certs! Basically it has been all self study and just using some resources of their but stuff I could of bought on my own with way cheaper than the $8000 paid for the classes and vouchers.

I certainly don't like New Horizons or any type of Technical school like ITT Tech, etc. IMO they don't teach anything and don't have the so called professionals they claim to teach the class. I would rather go to a local Community College instead which is WAYYYY cheaper and get a better education. Good luck whatever you do.
    thank sguys!!

my friend directed me to this webpage which pretty much confirm what you been saying all along

http://workit.leapit.com/news/newsarticle.ihtml?news_oid=1275
    Nice link you posted!

Keep in mind x_Danny_x, that it may not take you all that long to achieve your goals or even be a good way into being where you desire. People skills count for so, so much. Hang in there, and remember, its always easier to find a job when you have a job :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    how much are you talking about???

certifications is not all about money.. :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    you know, that is what New Horizons led me to believe!

they a couple of times talked about getting jobs around $60,000 with MCSA and CCNA and combine with other certs such as N+, A+ or a few Security certs!

Bastards, they got $8000 of my money!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    you know, that is what New Horizons led me to believe!

they a couple of times talked about getting jobs around $60,000 with MCSA and CCNA and combine with other certs such as N+, A+ or a few Security certs!

Bastards, they got $8000 of my money!

yes they did..... but as everyone else has said get a job and get the experience
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Pretty much everyone here has pointed you in the right direction. I can speak from experience. My IT career started with a BS in computer science. Basically after that I just worked in various positions (at the same company) for 6 years. THEN, I started pursuing certifications heavily. I can't even start to tell you how much more certs are worth if you have the experience to back them up. Some people in IT do the opposite of what I did. They jump in, get tons of certs first, then look a little silly when they go on an interview and cant perform something simple like configure dns for a small environment. For what it's worth, I've found getting the certs (and preparing for them) very rewarding personally simply because most of the stuff I read in preparing I understood it. You will learn many things and many ways of doing things in this field if you stay in it long enough. I think those of us who have done things the "long hard way" many times might understand and appreciate the newer things often outlined in certification preperation. For example I recently had a student who had 10 years experience on NT4. When we covered group policy he acted as if he had found heaven!!! So yes, in conclusion, get the experience first, the certs will come with time. It took me almost 2 years to complete the MCSE2K track, and this was by choice. Basically what I did was when I was preparing for 210 and 215, I worked with and helped out the desktop and server support team for about 2 months. 218, I worked with the desktop maintenance and AD management team. For 216 I worked with the infrastructure guys (for about six months). And for the remaining tests 217 and 219 I went on the road with the systems engineers and architects. Needless to say, while approaching it this way, I went into every test feeling 100% sure I would pass and I did. I basically had to wait until I had enough years experience before I could get a position (management) that would allow me to go from one department to the next as needed. Right now I'm doing penetration testing and working towards CISSP. I already have CEH and sitting for LPT next week. Bottom line? I don't care if you have an MCSE if you've never designed a real world network, or active directory or supported a real network. One of the earlier posters above also hit a key point with attitude and personality. Sometimes the person I hire is not always the most "trained" but it's often the most "trainable" So no matter how you look at it, getting the experience will open you up to a whole new world and a different way of looking at things. Hope this helps and sorry it's so long.
    yeah dude, thanks for that informative post!

I am talking to a friend who is working in Georgia Tech and he is trying to hook me up! He is saying I could get a top position because of my masters in computer science topple with the certifications because the employer likes Certifications and wants to see it in the resume!

it is for some research and development team they have in Georgia Tech and it offers alot of money and I hope maybe they could pay for future certifications I might pursue cause I want to get into security!
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Networking (people networking that is) is probably the most powerful way to get your foot in the door.

Good luck with the position.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    sitting for LPT next week.

Mind posting a review of that in the Security section? I wouldn't mind hearing more.
    what about getting CCNP and CCSP under my belt as well? How much are these certs value???
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    what about getting CCNP and CCSP under my belt as well? How much are these certs value???

x_Danny_x,
    Everything that you can learn and understand will make you more valuable. Many times, it isn't so much about the ribbons and trophies as it is about true knowledge and reputation.

Value also comes down to basic economics Supply vs. Demand. If where you live or the places you are appling have a lot of talented people also applying for the job, the wages will be more competitvely balanced within similar jobs. If there isn't a large pool of candidates than they will pay better than average to attract the best - then the indivdual will need to prove they are the best.

When I was in college, I worked hard to graduate early and get out in the job market. A couple of my friends were 'scared' and decided to add another degree to their portfolio. By the time they finished school, I had three years experience on them, plus had the stigma of 'entry-level' well past me. When they finished school, they were facing entry-level work with a large debt to repay.

Trust what you think is right for you! Based on your past comments, I stand behind my comments of go get a job. If you want to gain more knowledge (i.e. certs in this case) go ahead, it isn't likely that it will push you further ahead though.

IMO - everyone here has posted execellent feedback - it is now yours to do ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

thanks man! Im trying to see where this connection at Georgia Tech would land me!

A job it is!!

I hope I will be able to land that job.

If only I knew how important experience is! I would of graduated with just a Bachelors and do what you did and hit the Certifications!

better late than never I say!

I guess I will continue on the certification path with MCSA, Cisco, and Security while trying to get a job!

After that I will get certified in the certs that I want to learn and do for the rest of my life!

Here I come world! icon_lol.gif
    You'll do well!

Keep us posted :)

Learning is forever, I still study as does the majority of this group. Ask JDMurray about what he is working on. Always room for more education. Once you hit the job market, education means something else. You may even find your classroom experience to become more valuable when you have job experience to back it up.

Keep a good attitude -you will make it!!
    Plantwiz
    _____

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    keatron wrote:
    Pretty much everyone here has pointed you in the right direction. I can speak from experience. My IT career started with a BS in computer science. Basically after that I just worked in various positions (at the same company) for 6 years. THEN, I started pursuing certifications heavily. I can't even start to tell you how much more certs are worth if you have the experience to back them up. Some people in IT do the opposite of what I did. They jump in, get tons of certs first, then look a little silly when they go on an interview and cant perform something simple like configure dns for a small environment. For what it's worth, I've found getting the certs (and preparing for them) very rewarding personally simply because most of the stuff I read in preparing I understood it. You will learn many things and many ways of doing things in this field if you stay in it long enough. I think those of us who have done things the "long hard way" many times might understand and appreciate the newer things often outlined in certification preperation. For example I recently had a student who had 10 years experience on NT4. When we covered group policy he acted as if he had found heaven!!! So yes, in conclusion, get the experience first, the certs will come with time. It took me almost 2 years to complete the MCSE2K track, and this was by choice. Basically what I did was when I was preparing for 210 and 215, I worked with and helped out the desktop and server support team for about 2 months. 218, I worked with the desktop maintenance and AD management team. For 216 I worked with the infrastructure guys (for about six months). And for the remaining tests 217 and 219 I went on the road with the systems engineers and architects. Needless to say, while approaching it this way, I went into every test feeling 100% sure I would pass and I did. I basically had to wait until I had enough years experience before I could get a position (management) that would allow me to go from one department to the next as needed. Right now I'm doing penetration testing and working towards CISSP. I already have CEH and sitting for LPT next week. Bottom line? I don't care if you have an MCSE if you've never designed a real world network, or active directory or supported a real network. One of the earlier posters above also hit a key point with attitude and personality. Sometimes the person I hire is not always the most "trained" but it's often the most "trainable" So no matter how you look at it, getting the experience will open you up to a whole new world and a different way of looking at things. Hope this helps and sorry it's so long.

Thats exactly how it should be done. Very nice. icon_cheers.gif
  • DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    in Delaware, help desk support pays up to $42k a year (full benefits 8am-4:30pm mon - fri). It's a state government job.

These certs will DEFINITELY help. Job requires no degree either.

ps: cost of living in delaware is low too. $42k is enough to buy a nice house and car for a single guy. icon_cool.gif
    Danh wrote:

ps: cost of living in delaware is low too. $42k is enough to buy a nice house and car for a single guy. icon_cool.gif

$42K is pretty good for a guy with a wife and a child or two. That is a very, very good wage.
    Plantwiz
    _____

wow!!! what about Conneticut??????? is it the same as Deliware??

what about in New York City???
  • nknk417nknk417 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Danny, when I decided to get into the IT field I looked at going back to school. My main goal was to get certified and to eventually become a network administrator. When I looked into the State Colleges most of the computer science programs were geared to programming. I did not see any classes that actually prepared you for any specific certification. Maybe some java certification. Anyway, I ended up on going into a two year local tech school instead that was more focused on not only getting you certified but also prepares you to become a network administrator. A great all around program. I have been in it already for eight months now and have already passed my A+ and XP Pro exam. I guess my question to you is why do you want to become a network admin if most of your education has been based in programming. As for as I know programmers make much more money than network admins. Well, at least from my point of view it kinda looks like you are taking a step back. I wish you the best of luck.... Go find yourself a job with Microsoft and let these network admin jobs for people like me. :D