Options

Dns

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just curious can anyone elaborate on what DNS system they use? I'm looking into BIND vs MyDNS and I understand that MyDNS uses a MySQL backend. Aside from this is there big difference between the two? Mostly in Windows world so I don't have much experience here.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've never heard of MyDNS and it hasn't been updated for years.

I use BIND since it is generally the reference implementation of DNS and I don't need any of the database features even though BIND supports it.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Outside of Microsoft environments, I've only ever used BIND. It's widely supported, has LOADS of documentation and support communities, and just about every setup example that comes with other software assumes you're running BIND. . . not to mention that BIND is fairly universal and plays nice with other heavy-hitters, like the aforementioned Microsoft DNS. Unless there's a specific reason to go with something else, stick with BIND every time.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Interesting, thanks everyone. I saw MyDNS on howtoforge.com they actually use it in alot of their ubuntu tutorials so I thought it might be more widely used or something new. I will stick with BIND however since that does seem like a big player in the DNS space.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    BIND is def going to be the most popular. I've seen MyDNS used in a few places, but really only so they can use a GUI with it to allow people without skills access to change/enter records.
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    I've seen MyDNS used in a few places, but really only so they can use a GUI with it to allow people without skills access to change/enter records.

That is absolutely NOT want I want. I want something I can manage via the command line and script, no GUI. I'll look into BIND.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    BIND is the way to go starting out since it's what most places use. I'm also a fan of djbdns, but very rarely come across it anymore.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    And put into a study frame of reference you'll be wanting to learn BIND as from what I've seen whenever it comes to a server that's what you'll be tested on.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/