Options

Line protocol is down

joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
R1 serial1- Interface is up protocol is down.
R2 serial0/1 - Interface and protocol are both up.

R1 serial1 - Interface and protocol are both up.
R3 serial0/1 - Interface and protocol are both up.

Hmm... Cable is secure, Encapsulation is a match, clock is set.

Scratch head... double check everything.. Go back to basics.
Try a diferent cable between R1 and R2. DOH!!!!!

bad cable, was a fun 45 minutes...lol

Had to share that. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    joe48184 wrote: »
    Scratch head... double check everything.. Go back to basics.
    Try a diferent cable between R1 and R2. DOH!!!!!

bad cable, was a fun 45 minutes...lol

Always start with the basics icon_smile.gif
    but tis all fun learning icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    mmartinez85mmartinez85 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't a line protocol being down indicate something wrong with the data-link layer? In this case, the interface is up which further signifies that the cable is good. Why would changing the cable in this case have fixed the issue?

Can we just attribute it to the fact that the errors that systems output don't always lead us in the right direction?
  • Options
    joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't a line protocol being down indicate something wrong with the data-link layer? In this case, the interface is up which further signifies that the cable is good. Why would changing the cable in this case have fixed the issue?

Can we just attribute it to the fact that the errors that systems output don't always lead us in the right direction?

With my limited knowledge I ruled out the logical.. that just left physical. On a simple serial to serial connection, I had set R1 as the DCE on serial1 and serial0. Both R1 interfaces have identical settings other than IP address and R3 could talk to R1's serial0. R2's Serial0/1 and line protocol were both up, so the problem had to be with R1 - serial1. Other than clock rate and encapsulation on a simple serial connection I couldn't think of anything else to check, so I went back to basics. I had another DTE/DCE cable handy and when I plugged it in, R1 - serial1 line protocol came up.

I just hadn't expected a cable to be bad, the pin-outs look good with no visable marks on the outside of the cable.
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    I had one of my techs call me to check the switch for a particular port. She had a computer that had link lights, but no connection. Hmmm...the port shows up down....Lights??? How? Weird. I go over and checking a few things realize that the user has a VOIP phone with the line going to the phone and from the phone to the PC. BIG OL' LETTERS on the phone saying DISCONNECTED. The PC got LINK LIGHTS because it was connected through the phone just fine. The phone was disconnected from the wall.