VTP Server and Client mode

E1or0E1or0 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Guys I need a quick clarification here...

[Switch1]----Client Mode

[Switch2]----Client Mode as Well

Whatever VLAN's I create on switch 1 can still be populated on switch2? via a trunk link even though switch 1 is not on server mode?icon_rolleyes.gif

I know that VLANs are configured on VTP Servers and VTP Clients receive VLAN information from the VTP Servers in the same VTP domain. VLAN sharing is possible by using a trunk between the switches but i tried creating a VLAN on switch 1 having switch 1 acting as a server after creating the vlan i changed the mode to client, now i connected my self to switch 2 and switch 2 is showing this new vlan that i created on switch 1 how come if switch 1 is now acting as a client? this is where I'm confuse can someone clear this out for me?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A client switch can not create VLANs, but it can update a server if it has a higher revision number. If a client receives an update from a server with a lower revision number than it has it will respond with its higher revision number thus causing the server to change sync to it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • E1or0E1or0 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [ Switch 1 ] Server mode
    I created a new vlan on this server switch but after new vlan was created, I changed its mode to client.

NOW

[ Switch 1 ] acting as a client with its new vlan already configured

I then configured fa01 on both of my switches for trunking

[ Switch 2 ] client mode as well

[ Switch 1 ] Client now
    Trunk Link
    [Switch 2 ] Client mode

How can I still see the new vlan that i created on switch 1 when it was acting as a server when both switches are now clients?

I still don't get this part sorry guys this is new to me icon_rolleyes.gif

I understand networker's explanation but none of the switches now are acting as a server both are clients how is that i can still see this new vlan on [ Switch 2] when this only happens when there is a server switch updating every client ???

Or client switches can still update among them self through the trunk link and the difference between a client switch and a server one is that you can create/delete/or change any vlan configuration on the server switch something that can't be done on a switch acting as a client???

the way I see it is that the trunk link is the one doing the magic here is the one populating every vlan to the switches ???

HELP PLSicon_scratch.gif
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    I believe the only operational difference is in client mode vlans cannot be administered (created, deleted etc) but can still participate in propogating vlan changes to other switches. I found this on the Cisco Site-

• Server—In VTP server mode, you can create, modify, and delete VLANs and specify other configuration parameters, such as VTP version and VTP pruning, for the entire VTP domain. VTP servers advertise their VLAN configuration to other switches in the same VTP domain and synchronize their VLAN configuration with other switches based on advertisements received over trunk links. VTP server is the default mode.
    • Client—VTP clients behave the same way as VTP servers, but you cannot create, change, or delete VLANs on a VTP client.
    • Transparent—VTP transparent switches do not participate in VTP. A VTP transparent switch does not advertise its VLAN configuration and does not synchronize its VLAN configuration based on received advertisements, but transparent switches do forward VTP advertisements that they receive out their trunk ports in VTP Version 2.

As far as I can tell the reasoning for having server / client vtp switches is to reduce the probability of corruption of the vlan table, for example if all the switches in a network are servers, two admins could add a vlan to two different switches at the same time, this would cause inconsitancies in the network, probably ending with one set of changes getting lost. If only one switch is set to server and the rest clients, this risk is reduced.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mikem2te wrote: »
    I believe the only operational difference is in client mode vlans cannot be administered (created, deleted etc) but can still participate in propogating vlan changes to other switches.

Exactly. A lot of people don't realize this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • E1or0E1or0 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Originally Posted by mikem2te
    I believe the only operational difference is in client mode vlans cannot be administered (created, deleted etc) but can still participate in propogating vlan changes to other switches.
    I didn't realize it until now networker, thanks a million mike i fully understand this now, you both have a good one guys. Thank you both icon_cheers.gif