CCIE R&S study materials arrived today

SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
The title says it all.

I think i can feel an eye twich happening already ;)

cciestudymaterialhasarr.jpg

icon_study.gif starting at the weekend.

%20target=_blank%3Ecciestudymaterialhasarr.jpgcciestudymaterialhasarr.jpg

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Impressive!

That's many many books icon_neutral.gif
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Nice....!

Its a eyesore looking at my mountain of books.....but I take comfort in knowing others feel my pain... ;)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    maybe time to buy an e-reader :)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Ah the green tower. I had quite a stack going before I got rid of my ccna/ccnp stuff. Now my books are spread between home and the office so I don't look like such a geek anymore ;)
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I thought I had a pile :). woud you mind listing the titles :P
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Ouch!! I've got a large collection of tech books that I've built up over the years, but if that lot all turned up on my desk at once I think I'd freak!

The shipping on that must've hurt too :-/
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice pile of books, but is all those really necessary for the CCIE R&S? Or did you just look at cisco's recommended book list material and bought the whole list? I am curious to know the list of books you bought. I also see some binders, are those labs from a third party source? Those will definitely come in handy! i am shooting for the written later this year. However for my lab portion i am looking at this list of books.

Written: 2010
    1. Certification Guide by Odom, Cisco press v4
    2. CCNP Books
    3. CBT Nuggets

Lab: 2011
    1. Routing TCPIP vol 1
    2. Routing TCPIP vol 2
    3. Troubleshooting IP routing protocols
    4. CCNP BCMSN (for swithcing)
    5. QOS (Reading only the needed topics)
    6. MPLS (Reading only the needed topics)
    7. BGP Design (forgot about this book too)
    8. CBT Nuggets
    0. Internet Experts LAB books and Videos.

Not sure what else is left to cover. But id like to see your book list there. Also good luck and we should all helo one another in our CCIE journey. Mine will start later in May/june. Right now I am focusing on the Booklist on my signature and mainly on the ASA stuff for work. Cheers!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    chrisone wrote: »

Written: 2010
    1. Certification Guide by Odom, Cisco press v4
    2. CCNP Books
    3. CBT Nuggets

I'm not sure about how much prior knowledge you have (not trying to insult your intelligence), but that list looks VERY light for the written. I'd at a minimum throw the Routing TCP/IP books on there and some Cisco Docs. The Odom book is nothing more than a lite review really, don't plan on it teaching you much of anything if you have already passed the NP. The NP books are good and I've been using them as a refresher, but most of them don't seem to go into the kind of depth I think you need. I could be wrong since I've never taken the exam, but I have read the v3 Odom book once and I can assure you I don't feel anywhere near ready for the written.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I'm not sure about how much prior knowledge you have (not trying to insult your intelligence), but that list looks VERY light for the written. I'd at a minimum throw the Routing TCP/IP books on there and some Cisco Docs. The Odom book is nothing more than a lite review really, don't plan on it teaching you much of anything if you have already passed the NP. The NP books are good and I've been using them as a refresher, but most of them don't seem to go into the kind of depth I think you need. I could be wrong since I've never taken the exam, but I have read the v3 Odom book once and I can assure you I don't feel anywhere near ready for the written.

I agree with your statements, as I myself obviously havent tooken the written, I am still looking for material to study for the Written. I was thinking of both Routing TCPIP volumes and the Troubleshooting IP routing for my written part as additional sources. The current CCNP books have good information on the security portion and the switching portion of the CCIE blueprint, stuff i cannot
    get out of the routing tcpip or troubleshooting IP. I am still in the process of deciding what else is needed for the written.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nel wrote: »
    maybe time to buy an e-reader
    It's faster to get up from my desk, walk to the book shelves, search the 18+ linear feet or so of Cisco Books, pull the book I want, and page to what I'm looking for then to grab the Kindle DX sitting in front of me and find what I'm looking for in the PDFs I have loaded.

The Kindle is okay for reading and jumping around to the chapters in the Kindle versions of Doyle of bought -- and its fine for "linear reading" of other PDF books. But it's still probably faster if I'm traveling or on site to fire up a netbook (and even my laptop) and search the PDFs there for something specific than to find it in/on the Kindle. Maybe the Plastic Logic thing & Apple iTablet will force Amazon to at least add folders to the Kindle.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Yeah im curious as to what apple has in store for that iTablet, i guess we will find out Jan 27th for their special conference. It wouldnt be to bad to have all those CCIE books on a kindle / iTablet sort of thing and read while you travel.
    Not sure what else is left to cover. But id like to see your book list there. Also good luck and we should all helo one another in our CCIE journey. Mine will start later in May/june. Right now I am focusing on the Booklist on my signature and mainly on the ASA stuff for work. Cheers!

I'm starting around june/july. I can't seem to find much information on preparing for written. Everyone seems to be hell bent on the lab portion(not that I blame them), I'm looking at Netmaster and INE recommended reading/books. Even at that its seems geared toward the lab portion.

While were on the subject. What do you guys think of Boson's CCIE Exam Sim for written as a preptool for the written exam?
    well enough.
  • SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    I did choose just about all the books from the list, also added the ASA 2nd ed.
    The company was paying for a change.

I do believe these will all be needed, also the folder are third party courses and labs. I had to also print out 2 books today that were only available in E book.
    This wont be all of it as i haven't go to going through RFCs.

[FONT=&quot]1. Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    2. CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Quick Reference: Exam 350-001 v3.1
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    3. Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, IPS, Anti-X, and VPN Adaptive Security Appliance, 2nd Edition, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    4. CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide, 4th Edition, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    5. Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Professional Development series), [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    6. Cisco OSPF Command and Configuration Handbook[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    7. Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    8. Cisco Field Manual: Router Configuration[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    9. Developing IP Multicast Networks, Volume I[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    10. Internet Routing Architectures, 2nd Edition[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    11. MPLS and VPN Architectures, Volume II[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    12. MPLS and VPN Architectures[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    13. End-to-End QoS Network Design: Quality of Service in LANs, WANs, and VPNs[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    14. Deploying IPv6 Networks[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    15. Network Security Technologies and Solutions (CCIE Professional Development Series)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    16. CCIE Routing and Switching Practice Labs
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    17. Cisco LAN Switching Configuration Handbook, 2nd Edition[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    18. BGP Design and Implementation[/FONT]

19. [FONT=&quot]CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide, 4th Edition[/FONT]

20. Routing TCP-IP Volume 1

21 Routing TCP-IP Volume 2

22. Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols

Any ways this weekend i start on the path. icon_study.gif
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    very impressive! you guys are awesome. and i thought i had a lot of books :]
    Very nice list. I personally would have skipped 1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 17, and 22, but only because of personal tastes.

I think the lack of written content and feedback is because most people hit it right after the CCNP, and its not to much of a gap. I think its changed now, but it also used to be an 'easier' test, due to the lower pass score.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You'd skip Halabi's book? Really? I consider it an absolutely must read, it's one of the best dissertations on BGP available.

And the Cisco Lan Switching book is old and a bit outdated, but I've yet to find a book that more thoroughly explains spanning tree, and it's available used for dirt cheap.
    Don't get me wrong, its a great book for ISP and production networks (I still own it). I just think for the scope of the R&S, that Implementing BGP design, and the BGP-4 command guide, along with the written exam guide and Routing TCP/IP, and any video classes and labs you end up doing, is probably enough for the CCIE R&S. You are going to be re-reading information 800 times by then (which unfortunately a perk of studying for the CCIE lol).

For real life, and for the SP, then yes, I would recommend it (and probably all of the books in that case lol).

*disclaimer* this is all coming from a guy who failed his CCIE lab! haha
  • Dan.Dan. Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is the collections of books i use for my studies and general reference. There are a few more that i've added since. A few rare finds as well like the Frame Relay Solutions Guide.

books.jpg

You can't beet books for study or reference. ebooks are a pain. The ability to have half a dozen books open at one time and be able to switch between them all is brilliant if your trying to clarify some theory points and configs.

As for the written i'd suggest looking at the following:

CCIE Blog So Much Information: Part One

The suggested list is:

1: CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
    2: Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1, 2nd Edition
    3: CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide
    4: Internet Routing Architectures, 2nd Edition
    5: Routing TCP/IP, Volume II
    6: Developing IP Multicast Networks
    7: Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide

Check out the Above link for details on the list. I'll be loosely following this.
    qplayed wrote: »
    I'm starting around june/july. I can't seem to find much information on preparing for written. Everyone seems to be hell bent on the lab portion(not that I blame them), I'm looking at Netmaster and INE recommended reading/books. Even at that its seems geared toward the lab portion.

While were on the subject. What do you guys think of Boson's CCIE Exam Sim for written as a preptool for the written exam?

I plan on purchasing the Boson CCIE Written sim as well. I am sure there is priceless information for the written.

The list from the CCIE page on cisco's website is a bit overkill for the entire CCIE R&S path, written/lab. At most i see myself buying both TCPIP volumes, Troubleshooting IP, Odom Cert Guide v4, QOS cert exam, an MPLS book, a BGP book, an IPv6 book, and maybe a Multicast book. I am not concerned about LAN switching whatsoever with my experience and with the LAN/switching subjects on the BCMSN and Odoms cert guide book is more than enough. These books and materials are more than enough to read along with IPexperts LAB books and CBT videos. Along with 1 year and 8 months of studying and labs, I plan on taking my written dec. 2010 and my lab dec.2011
    Awesome. I plan on jumping on teh written as soon as I clear NP before the new changes. Saving up for books right now...that Frame Relay Solutions Guide is one that will be putting a hole in my pocket :P, and one taht is on top of my book list :D

@Dan

W O W... but I'm right behind you :D
    well enough.
  • SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Dan lovely collection :)

I agree that having book on hand is great, i also have an extensive ebook library but i use it more as reference.

OMG i have just realized i sound like a character out of my fav show.

The Big Bang Theory,

icon_cheers.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just be warey. It's very easy in the early stages to go nuts getting your materials together, it's like a drug, each nice shiney new book is one more hit. I advise anyone to just get the core books they know they need now, then add the others as you go. Also don't make presumptions about the reading list until you have been through them each at least once - and since that's kind've a catch 22 when you are getting ready to stock up in the first place then rely on reviews or blogs/posts from the folks who have actually taken the exam/lab, whether they failed or passed. Meaning no offense I don't think anyone should dismiss so many off the reading list with without having already been through them or having sat the exam itself, it's opinion without any experience behind it.
    That said from my own experience on the security side I'd say yup at least half the books were not absolutely necessary but most had one or 2 nuggets of Info that you wouldn't find in the more dedicated ones. These definitely get tossed into the buy if you can but don't sweat it if you can't list.

I tend to favour Ebooks now. Overall I prefer the experience of a real book but the convenience (and later on the search features) of Ebooks are more of a benefit to me....of course work having a Cisco contract that includes access to the entire Cisco-Press library online helps :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    @Ahriakin
    You can place me in the "go nuts on the book shopping" . Personally I like to have the books handy just incase I get bored reasing wahtever it is I am currently reading. I agree with you on only having a few nuggets of useful information on a subject when it pertains to an exam. Having that "extra" knowledge never hurts :)
    well enough.