R&S CCIEs shrinking...

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
Worldwide CCIEs

10-26-09 17891
12-01-09 17843
01-06-10 17781

I heard this new exam is tough but geez. Its a dieing breed!

As I think of this more, these numbers are depressing. I mean I understand theres a LOT of people weeded out due to cheating, but I can't believe that practically NO ONE is passing this new exam. Maybe Cisco will make it easier once they see whats happening, but man.

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    The new troubleshooting section is going to weed out a ton of people.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    People are surely passing, but definitely not in the numbers they were before. The way I look at it, before, it took people an average of 2-3 tries to pass the lab. The changes were just implemented in October 09. It's a completely new format with a strange GUI that many have reported having trouble with, no more paper diagrams (which seems to have thrown some people off), and more curveballs thrown in. I think it will be at least 6 more months until we see the people making their 2nd and 3rd attempts at the new format. Just a hunch.

I can't help but wonder how long it'll be until similar changes are implemented on the other tracks. I know the OEQ's made their way to the SP track this month.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wouldn't the numbers be going down because people aren't renewing, not because they're not passing the new lab?

You just need a written every two years to renew, right?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't mind that people aren't passing. I'd actually prefer it stayed that way. The less people that have the cert the more it will do for you.

I also agree with dynamik, but I think its a mixture of the two. I'm sure there are always people not recertifying, but also no new CCIEs being minted makes those who don't stand out even more.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm sure there are always people not recertifying, but also no new CCIEs being minted makes those who don't stand out even more.

Oh, I completely agree with that too; especially if the majority of the people who are getting shut down are the cheaters. I was just specifically referring to the decreasing number.
  • john-ciscojohn-cisco Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    4 guys out of the 30 seats at the mobile lab, passed here in SA last week.
    Compared to the previous time the mobile lab came round (before version 4) when 6/30 passed.

So it is a bit harder, you want it to be, and retain the exlusivity.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    john-cisco wrote: »
    4 guys out of the 30 seats at the mobile lab, passed here in SA last week.
    Compared to the previous time the mobile lab came round (before version 4) when 6/30 passed.

So it is a bit harder, you want it to be, and retain the exlusivity.

Is that R&S track passing? Because all the other tracks are still growing at their same rates.

Yes the number is shrinking because people just don't renew (retired, or just don't need a valid number anymore).

I just think its amazing that there are 80 more people letting their CCIE expire each month, than there are people passing at all. This is compared to about 300 people per month passing (probably more like 400 since people let them expire). I makes you wonder how many people were cheating their way through (im starting to think its more like 80% these days).

And yes, I agree, the smaller the number, the more they are worth. However, I am not one of them yet, so I can't be happy about that yet lol.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Is that R&S track passing? Because all the other tracks are still growing at their same rates.

Yes the number is shrinking because people just don't renew (retired, or just don't need a valid number anymore).

I just think its amazing that there are 80 more people letting their CCIE expire each month, than there are people passing at all. This is compared to about 300 people per month passing (probably more like 400 since people let them expire). I makes you wonder how many people were cheating their way through (im starting to think its more like 80% these days).

And yes, I agree, the smaller the number, the more they are worth. However, I am not one of them yet, so I can't be happy about that yet lol.

Many, many people cheated the CCIE R&S lab exam v 3.0 in one way or another, gunmen, sharing with buddies, reallab sites. I think we had hundreds passing each month at one point. The new lab format will fox these types until the **** sites catch up. To stay in business they are working hard at it! For the ligit types the format is new and there is serious time pressure on lab day. My advice is to be solid on theory to deal with OEQs effectively and work hard on troubleshooting so you can close those tickets quickly without screwing your energy up. At the same time, study the technology labs and do well on the mock exams. You want to be getting to the post troubleshooting section with plenty of time and energy to spare. If OEQ and TS goes badly for you, your brains will be smashed as well as your morale. Once we hear stories of people taking labs and battering the whole thing out inside 5 hours without verifying anything like in v 3 it will be time for Cisco to change the test again because too many people have memorised whats on it. So try and test out before the end of 2010 :)
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Turgon wrote: »
    Many, many people cheated the CCIE R&S lab exam v 3.0 in one way or another, gunmen, sharing with buddies, reallab sites. I think we had hundreds passing each month at one point. The new lab format will fox these types until the **** sites catch up. To stay in business they are working hard at it! For the ligit types the format is new and there is serious time pressure on lab day. My advice is to be solid on theory to deal with OEQs effectively and work hard on troubleshooting so you can close those tickets quickly without screwing your energy up. At the same time, study the technology labs and do well on the mock exams. You want to be getting to the post troubleshooting section with plenty of time and energy to spare. If OEQ and TS goes badly for you, your brains will be smashed as well as your morale. Once we hear stories of people taking labs and battering the whole thing out inside 5 hours without verifying anything like in v 3 it will be time for Cisco to change the test again because too many people have memorised whats on it. So try and test out before the end of 2010 :)

I can tell that you have studied quite a bit and are working hard toward your CCIE. My hat's off to you. I'm curious - your signature says you're married with children. How do you budget your time with your family in order to do your studying? (I say this because it's an issue I'm having to deal with). Do you involve yourself in hobbies/sports/excursions-with-family often, and if so, how do you work that in with your studies?

I also see that you passed the IE written in '01? Can you go that long between the written and the lab, or did I read it wrong?

Best of luck in your endeavors.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    I also see that you passed the IE written in '01? Can you go that long between the written and the lab, or did I read it wrong?

Getting the work life balance right between study\lab time can\will and does take its toll both on you and your family. As long as your willing ti make sacrifices its worth it, but you have to keep your family first imo icon_smile.gif

Turgon passed his written, in 01, 07 and 09 so three times so far icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Getting the work life balance right between study\lab time can\will and does take its toll both on you and your family. As long as your willing ti make sacrifices its worth it, but you have to keep your family first imo icon_smile.gif

Turgon passed his written, in 01, 07 and 09 so three times so far icon_smile.gif

Seems I had heard that if you pass your IE written, you have a finite period of time to pass the lab (certainly less than nine years). But like I said, perhaps I'm missing something somewhere.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Seems I had heard that if you pass your IE written, you have a finite period of time to pass the lab (certainly less than nine years). But like I said, perhaps I'm missing something somewhere.

18 months
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    18 months

The written is valid for 3 years, but you have to attempt your first attempt at the lab within 18 months. Not quite sure what happens if you dont attempt it within 18months tho, I guess you then have to re-take the written again before the lab :-/ Kind of an odd exam policy imo.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • LPDLPD Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the R&S lab back in 2001 on the first attempt, studied my ass off and smoked it.

I remember it quite well. first day about 15 people. second day two...me and a cisco employee. Afterwards I had head hunters calling me at work all day, every day.

I let my cert lapse after about 4 years. I do regret that. but being a CCIE wasn't really doing anything for me other than impressing vendors and consulting firms. I guess my career headed in a different direction.

To insinuate that folks like myself let their cert lapse 'cause I was some kinda cheater, well F.U. That's all I gotta say about that.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Gee tell us what you really think. You joined and posted a message just to say that. You must be really ticked. Yours is from the time of the two day lab and leather bomber jackets. Things really did change after the lab switched to one day. Last year for < $300 you could buy several of the actual labs pass or don't pay. The open ended questions came in because it was so bad in Asia that people were finishing before lunch. After R&S changed you could still buy service provider on ebay and there was an increase in people taking and passing that with a few months study. I believe they were still selling voice last month.

I don't think anyone is pointing specific fingers at anyone, just saying the the number of dumpers increased substantially in the last few years. This sites members unlike many on the net does not condone that activity. Many of the members here from early 2000 joined this site when Johan started it because we were tired of the **** on other sites. There was this mad Russian and a few others that we fled from.

Any how welcome to TE
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Great so I passed during the steroid era. ;)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    apd123 wrote: »
    Great so I passed during the steroid era. ;)
    You're fine as long as an * doesn't show up next to your number on the CCIE Verification web site icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!