Options

QoS - Match-all vs match-any

mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
It seems like most of the QoS configuration examples I see use match-all.... Like I have seen VoIP QoS configs where there will be a match-all, then the match elements will be for multiple DSCP's...

ie:
class-map match-all VOIP
match dscp ef
match dscp af31

Now, wouldn't that be impossible? Since you can't have multiple DSCP's on a single packet?

I just set up a new QoS template with:
class-map match-any VOIP
match dscp ef
match dscp af31

Maybe I've just been reading bad info? Can someone clarify?
_______LAB________
2x 2950
2x 3550
2x 2650XM
2x 3640
1x 2801

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    If you see anything blatant like that, it probably means that the author and their editor weren't paying attention. match-all is the default, so it's an easy thing to overlook
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are correct. A match all needs to match all and a packet will only have one DSCP marking. You will need a match any like your example. What source are you getting the bad info from?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mzinz wrote: »
    It seems like most of the QoS configuration examples I see use match-all.... Like I have seen VoIP QoS configs where there will be a match-all, then the match elements will be for multiple DSCP's...

ie:
    class-map match-all VOIP
    match dscp ef
    match dscp af31

Now, wouldn't that be impossible? Since you can't have multiple DSCP's on a single packet?

I just set up a new QoS template with:
    class-map match-any VOIP
    match dscp ef
    match dscp af31

Maybe I've just been reading bad info? Can someone clarify?

bad info. match-all as a given (dscp example posted excluded) requires that all conditions are met. Basically it acts as a "and" operation. Where match-any does a "or" operation.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys, totally makes sense.

One last question:
    In most configuration examples, RTP and Control traffic is separated for VoIP QOS. What's the benefit to doing this? Why not bundle them into a single class-map?

It just seems like since control takes so little bandwidth but can be equally important to voice traffic it would make sense to combine them into a single queue...
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The control traffic is not as delay sensitive so it does not need to be in the expedited queue. I've seen implementations where they are both put in the same queue, but its not necessary. If the message to end the call doesn't get there with little delay its not as big of a deal as if your actual voice traffic was delayed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I rarely, if ever, use match-all. Sometimes I forget to type the match-any at the end though.:p
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys :)
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801