Entry level certification dilemma

phobophilephobophile Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi TechExams!

I've been using this website for the last few months in preparation of my A+ exam, which I passed quite handidly in October. My next goal was to finish the second half of the CompTIA duo (Network+) at the beginning of this year. I have yet to start studying for it.

Last week I got a job offer from a large retail company doing Tier 1 Desktop Support. I'm quite lucky to get this job offer considering I only have my A+ and no real IT job experience (only PC retail sales). The company supports mainly Windows XP clients, which I will be responsible supporting and troubleshooting, with a mix of other job responsibilities (changing backup tapes, resetting accounts and passwords, etc etc.) During the interview I asked what servers they operate, and they are in the process soon of upgrading '03 to '08, and soon moving their clients over from XP to 7.

I'm now considering going straight for my MCDST, since most of my job responsibilites would entail of what's in the learning material. Would it be wise to pass up Network+, or would you think I do not need Network+ at all? I've heard that alot of the material in Net+ will make you better prepared for MCDST and MCSA, but I do not know first hand.

My ultimate goal would be to upgrade my MCDST to MCITP:EST7 when the upgrade course comes out, then to get my MCSA, then upgrade the MCSA to MCITP:SA. My passion is infosec, but I know that I need to build a strong foundation first with support and adminstration. I guess my issue is, is that if I go towards the certification route all the way up to MCSA, would Network+ be irrelevant, especially if I were to consider CCNA down the line as well?

Thanks for any input! :)

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phobophile wrote: »
    Hi TechExams!

I've been using this website for the last few months in preparation of my A+ exam, which I passed quite handidly in October. My next goal was to finish the second half of the CompTIA duo (Network+) at the beginning of this year. I have yet to start studying for it.

Last week I got a job offer from a large retail company doing Tier 1 Desktop Support. I'm quite lucky to get this job offer considering I only have my A+ and no real IT job experience (only PC retail sales). The company supports mainly Windows XP clients, which I will be responsible supporting and troubleshooting, with a mix of other job responsibilities (changing backup tapes, resetting accounts and passwords, etc etc.) During the interview I asked what servers they operate, and they are in the process soon of upgrading '03 to '08, and soon moving their clients over from XP to 7.

I'm now considering going straight for my MCDST, since most of my job responsibilites would entail of what's in the learning material. Would it be wise to pass up Network+, or would you think I do not need Network+ at all? I've heard that alot of the material in Net+ will make you better prepared for MCDST and MCSA, but I do not know first hand.

My ultimate goal would be to upgrade my MCDST to MCITP:EST7 when the upgrade course comes out, then to get my MCSA, then upgrade the MCSA to MCITP:SA. My passion is infosec, but I know that I need to build a strong foundation first with support and adminstration. I guess my issue is, is that if I go towards the certification route all the way up to MCSA, would Network+ be irrelevant, especially if I were to consider CCNA down the line as well?

Thanks for any input! :)

The ICND1/CCENT covers pretty much everything the N+ does at a cheaper cost and a vastly more significant long term value to your career.
    (take that comptia you cheap bastards :p)
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    GAngel wrote: »
    The ICND1/CCENT covers pretty much everything the N+ does at a cheaper cost and a vastly more significant long term value to your career.
    (take that comptia you cheap bastards :p)

I agree, taking the ICND1 from Cisco will give you the CCENT certification, which is a bigger bang for the buck than CompTIA's Network+. Also, you should definitely check out the Windows 7 exams.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    phobophile wrote: »
    I've heard that alot of the material in Net+ will make you better prepared for MCDST and MCSA, but I do not know first hand.

Ummm...no. N+ is mostly memorization, lots of questions on standards, vocabulary, etc. The DST is going to be focused on the OS...IE, Outlook, control panel stuff, getting around in the OS, start menu, taskbar etc.
  • dmarshdmarsh Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd go for MCDST next, you should be able to pass it with minimal networking knowledge.

The N+ is largely a networking trivia exam, look at the objectives, its a few command line utils ping etc, the OSI 7 layer model, etc. The one I took included appletalk and netbios ! I think they've updated it now which is good.

Its good stuff to know but will all be covered on the first day of any beginners networking course.

Most people could probably pass N+ after 10 hours watching a decent CBT and a few hours reading wikipedia and trying a few commands in the console.

MCSA 70-291 requires real networking knowledge, so make sure you've read around the subject a little and examined a few networks, built a home network, etc before you start it.

If you are at all interested in pursuing Cisco tracks and re-certifying then CCENT will be a better bet longer term.
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    I guess my issue is, is that if I go towards the certification route all the way up to MCSA, would Network+ be irrelevant, especially if I were to consider CCNA down the line as well?

I think going through the information presented in the Network+ would be beneficial, even if it means you will hear it again in your Cisco sequences. Many people starting out need more than one swoop through some of the basic concepts in order to really understand them and know how they apply to the real world. Network+ literature will also present the information at a little different angle than a Cisco book will, which is good.

Studying for the Network+ would present a good baseline of knowledge to help get yourself prepared for CCNA studies, though you could get by without it. Whether or not you intend to pursue the actual Network+ exam, you would still need to know most of the information presented there.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Read the Network+ material for the information but don't necessarily memorize all of it. The Net+ is heavy on memorization which doesn't really benefit you that much. Get the CCNA or at least the CCENT and you'll be more than prepared for the networking in almost any Microsoft cert.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skip N + and never look back Comptia is now a waste of money IMO.

Go after the MCDST for sure I am thinking the new track would be better for you.

I agree with everyone study for CCENT and get it out of the way.

Good Luck
    Free Reading : History Books
  • phobophilephobophile Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses.

I was quite surprised that after posting yesterday that I had seen that CompTIA certs now expire after 3 years. It looks like it makes much more sense now to go for the CCENT/CCNA track, as I can easily have those renewed through taking one of the many Cisco certs later on in my studies.

I'll go straight ahead with MCDST now, upgrade to 7 DST, and afterwards probably go for CCENT to start off. Sounds like a good progression for me. :)

Thanks again.