85 Days until my CCIE VOICE LAB

LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
I have 85 days until my first attempt at the v3 Lab. This will be my second attempt at a CCIE level test and some how I still feel confident. I think I am on track to do pretty well. I would like to take the chance to blog as much as I can about my trials and tribulations over next few months. I currently am using the IPexperts Lab Books and have a full lab built. I have gone through their lab book 1 once before and am redoing all of them again for the second time.

- If you have any question or would like me to write over something that you might not fully comprehend I will be more then happy too. -icon_study.gif
The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have 85 days until my first attempt at the v3 Lab. This will be my second attempt at a CCIE level test and some how I still feel confident. I think I am on track to do pretty well. I would like to take the chance to blog as much as I can about my trials and tribulations over next few months. I currently am using the IPexperts Lab Books and have a full lab built. I have gone through their lab book 1 once before and am redoing all of them again for the second time.

- If you have any question or would like me to write over something that you might not fully comprehend I will be more then happy too. -icon_study.gif

Good luck. I believe there is only a small number of Voice labs they can throw at you on lab day. At least that's the urban myth I heard. If so, take a good memory with you if things dont work out ;)
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Thanks, I have heard that myth too...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    good luck and I look forward to following your progress, I'm aiming to wrap up my VP by End of March and maybe look at IE written by end of the year.

Ps I like the sound of the myth, but I'm too familiar with how myths are often wrong lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate! hope all goes well
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll have plenty of time to wish you luck when I sober up after my next R&S attempt icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    out of curiosity what's in your lab ?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the good wish's.

As any one that has ever studied for a CCIE knows holidays mean something different then relaxation with family and down time... EXTRA STUDY DAYS!!! Two weeks in my case. And since I wasted the free weekend with normal day to day business it is time to start hitting the lab with a vengeance. So I have my study drink (caramel frappuccino with double avagotti shots = 4 shot’s of espresso), and a clean lab too— let’s get started!!! So since I have two weeks off and four weeks till my Ipexperts’ boot camp, I figure I will start off by doing their Lab book 1 over again. So today I will do lab’s 1 and 2 with one being a four hour lab and two being a two hour lab, both of which are entry level concepts.

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Implementing Campus Infrastructure and Services[/FONT]
    No real problems.
    --One thing I did start doing even though they didn't say anything about it was to read ahead and find out which gateway was in what device pool, so that I could configure the correct NTP association for the correct Time-zone. (for fail-over situation/etc.)
    [FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Implementing CUCM Endpoint[/FONT]
    No real problems.
    --Just remember BAT Is your friend.. and to use as much of it as you can..
    I will update this post with anything I had problems with and newly learned trick’s / tips that helped me.
    As for my current lab, I have the following setup. There has been countless revisions!
    1.2821(PSTN)
    a.3x HWIC-4T1/E1
    b.PVDM2-16
    2.2801(HQ)
    a.1x HWIC-4T1/E1
    b.PVDM2-32
    3.2801(Br1)
    a.1x HWIC-4T1/E1
    b.PVDM2-8
    c.HWIC-4ESW
    4.2801(Br2)
    a.1x HWIC-4T1/E1
    b.PVDM2-8
    c.AIM-CUE
    5.Dell GX280
    a.VM-Workstation (UCM-PUB)
    b.VM-Workstation(UCCX)
    6.Dell GX280
    a.VM-Workstation(UCM-SUB)
    7.Dell GX280
    a.VM-Workstation(UC)
    8.Dell GX280
    a.VM-Workstation(CUPS)
    b.VM-Workstation(AD-directory—Not used but have it setup)
    a.Console Server … Don’t have to have but makes it a lot easier to manage everything.
    a.X2 one for HQ and Br2 simply because I already had them and I only had one ESW card.

DIAGRAM.jpg
    Today's Labs
    3. Implementing CUCME Endpoints
    No real problems, just need to remember to think ahead of what needs to be in the Sip Dial-plan.. (Is a time waste to add numbers after you have built the original plan and deployed it.)_
    4. Implementing Voice Gateway
    No real problems, Just need to remember to reload UCM's when changing the top level domain name for sip routing. Not entirely sure you need to reload the UCM's but I restarted all services and didn't take affect until after full restart.
    Sorry for the delay in post's.... But as for an update I have finished Ipexperts lab books 1 and am starting on their lab book 2 this weekend. I feel pretty confident that I understand all the lab book one material and will do well on lab book 2... But I will update this after this weekend... back to icon_study.gif
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So how are things going on the study front?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    Sorry Guys/Girls its been a while since I posted... I have been studding like a mad man and working on my process more then anything...I have 14 days until I go into cool down mode before my test. Today I am going to work on my vpim process and try to get it down to the 5 min mark but we will see... I have also heard this so many times its mind numbing but I its not until recent that I have realized the lost time in auto-registration...I have come up with the following process for exact accuracy in registration.

1. Pull all Mac address from devices (show cdp ne)
    2. Create PT/CSS ( place holders)
    3. Map Phone to Load / #'s
    4. Create Device (Load/PT/CSS/etc..) (just a temp setup)
    5. Setup LAN (vlan/etc.)

This process is easily repeated if BR2 needs a load change too... (if they don't ask you to do the load change at the Site)...
    Well I leave tomorrow, and I think I am on track to pass. I truly believe if for some reason I don't pass I think it will be more of a mental issue then a failure of my study's...icon_redface.gif But we will see, wish me lucky.

Oooh I also want to say thank you to all the people on this board.bowing.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    go and kick its ass icon_smile.gif

But above all enjoy it and learn from it icon_smile.gif
    Knock 'em dead!!!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck!
    Trust your instincts, stay calm and don't be afraid to reboot an appliance.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Well I leave tomorrow
    ROAD TRIP icon_cheers.gif

Voice is probably the Lab where you definitely have to plan your work and work your plan.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck! And (here comes my favorite phrase)...stay focused :)
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Make it tap man, good luck ;)
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    CCIE:Voice = pwned?

The suspense is killing me :)
    Well, I guess I will be going back in 30 days....!!!! icon_cry.gif .. The thing that really gets me is that it wasn't that I couldn't do any of the things they asked me, it was the fact that I ran out of time... --- NOT MY FAULT!!!! I won't go into details but what I will say is that EVEN PROCTORS MESS UP SOME TIMES.. I have heard it a million times but not till I experienced it did I believe it.

But thanks to everyone for their support, Next week is spring break so I will keep you posting on any new topics...icon_study.gif
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    You can challenge it if the reason you ran out of time wasnt your fault, cant you?
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    $h!t man, sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif

You got the winning philosophy though - kick it's butt round 2 :)
    We'll just call this one Spring Training. :D
    Tough going :-/ Did you have much left to do when you ran out of time? ie is it worth lodging a challenge?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear about the no go man. Sounds like your studying is in the right direction though. You will get it next time!

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As Henry Ford once said:
    "Failure is only the opportunity to more
    intelligently begin again."
    `Henry Ford
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    During the exam I thought they would just add the time on to end of the test... giving me the full 8hours but things didn't work out that way. As I was leaving I thought about opening a case but decided against it.. I am just going to take the hit on the chin and keep studding, and take it agein SOON..like trying to scheduale a date in early April.

ooh and just to be clear we aren't talking like 20 or 30 min of wasted time ... 2+ hours...but I think I have said to much already... thank you all for you support.
    During the exam I thought they would just add the time on to end of the test... giving me the full 8hours but things didn't work out that way. As I was leaving I thought about opening a case but decided against it.. I am just going to take the hit on the chin and keep studding, and take it agein SOON..like trying to scheduale a date in early April.

ooh and just to be clear we aren't talking like 20 or 30 min of wasted time ... 2+ hours...but I think I have said to much already... thank you all for you support.

wow, that's 1/4 of the entire lab time! I would fight for a free re-take. Why aren't the proctors held accountable?