Absolute requirements of a training lab

daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I'm new to this site and to the CCNA.

I'm interested in your thoughts as to what you consider to be essential equipment, IOSs, peripherals and books/study aids for the purposes of completing the CCNA.

So that you can tailor your responses to my level of understanding know that I am currently only microsoft and A+ certified with a few months of experience in general support.

I will soon be looking to buy myself an initial training lab. Also what are your thoughts on simulation software? Is it adequate for training purposes?

I have covered the OSI model,subnetting and IPV4 in preparation for the begining of my studies.

Your assistance is appreciated.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
-Sun Tzu-

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Welcome to the site Dave.

This is a common topic, and I am sure you will find everything you are looking for here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/6434-ccna-faq-please-read-before-posting.html
  • daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Welcome to the site Dave.

This is a common topic, and I am sure you will find everything you are looking for here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/6434-ccna-faq-please-read-before-posting.html

Cheers, I guess a mod will clear this thread.
    Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    -Sun Tzu-
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Checkout: NetworkWorld.com

A lot of good stuff for starting your CCNA.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    daveccna wrote: »
    Cheers, I guess a mod will clear this thread.
    Nope -- it's a pretty standard question (which is why we have a FAQ) but it also alerts other "new guys" to the FAQ. Plus when you still have questions it gives you a place to come back to and ask them.

And this post gives me a chance to mention:
    Make sure you page down through the FAQ thead comments/posts to my last post. I'm storing links in that post that will probably make it into the next FAQ update.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    You've already got the CCNA Forum FAQ link, so here's the direct link to that Possible FAQ Links for the next FAQ update(s) post.

Another reason to leave this thread -- the first link in the FAQ update post is CCNA - Lab workbook -- which was a great find by blackninja.

So this thread also gives me a chance to say:
    Come on people -- show blackninja some love and rep that http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/42260-ccna-lab-workbook.html post.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Come on people -- show blackninja some love and rep that post.

done icon_wink.gif

btw slightly off topic, but how do you see who added to your rep? CP shows its been added, but I cant see who added it, unless they say so?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    but how do you see who added to your rep?
    You don't -- If you ever get some objectionable or really rude negative rep, you can ask webmaster or an admin to review it.

That reminds me -- Yep, I've spread around enough rep -- I found another icon_wm.gif Technote sticky I hadn't rep'ed yet. :D
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    You don't -- If you ever get some objectionable or really rude negative rep, you can ask webmaster or an admin to review it.

No worries Mike cheers, one more quick question can you tell if its positive or negative?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Negative is red, positive green :)

I believe that is how it works.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So my brother (who works at a NOC) says that hes going to give me 3 old cisco 2500 series routers and some peripherals this weekend to get me started.

I'll be setting them up on Sunday or Monday night. I might even try a starter lab.

EXCITEMENT YAY!
    -Sun Tzu-
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Thats great dude! With those three you can do point-to-point with frame relay. Also if you load up those 2501's with full 16MB DRAM and 16MB Flash with IOS 12.3 you can do IPv6. I use two 2501's in my home lab as backbone routers and for the price I got them at, they cant be beat.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    btw slightly off topic, but how do you see who added to your rep? CP shows its been added, but I cant see who added it, unless they say so?

There should be no anonymous rep. If you are too scared to put your name on it then don't give it out!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    So this thread also gives me a chance to say:
    Come on people -- show blackninja some love and rep that http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/42260-ccna-lab-workbook.html post.

Thanks Mike - Bring on the love ;)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)