Options

CCNP 2010 updates

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    suffah wrote: »
    Nice catch! Looks almost identical to the BCMSN.

Whoa, after some searching I found the TSHOOT book. :)

InformIT: CCNP TSHOOT 642-832 Official Certification Guide

CCNP TSHOOT 642-832
    Official Certification Guide
    Kevin Wallace, CCIE® No. 7945

CCNP TSHOOT Exam Preparation

Master CCNP® TSHOOT 642-832 exam topics
    Assess your knowledge with chapter-opening quizzes
    Review key concepts with Exam Preparation Tasks
    Practice with realistic exam questions on the CD-ROM

The official study guide helps you master all the topics on the CCNP TSHOOT exam, including
    Common network maintenance tasks and tools
    Troubleshooting models
    Cisco IOS® troubleshooting commands and features
    Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst® Switches and STP
    Troubleshooting BGP, OSPF, and EIGRP routing protocols
    Route redistribution, security, and router performance troubleshooting
    IP services and IP communications troubleshooting
    IPv6 troubleshooting
    Large enterprise network troubleshooting

And for those curious, here's the ROUTE book:

InformIT: CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide

Well done sir, cheers for picking up the rest of the books.

I think every thing should be covered in there ok.

I really thing that network is growing massivley at the moment. Voice for instance only a few years ago was a small area, now it nees its own certification, theres no possible way to included things like voice,security,wireless and routing + switching all in to one course and expect to cover any of them in any detail.

TO me its seems they have taken out the security, wireless etc from the CCNP and made the CCNA branchs, as looking at the levely of the ccna securiy it seems much of this was replicated in the old CCNP. I dont see any point in covering securirty in any more detail than the CCNA course in the CCNP when you also have the CCSP. The last thing i want is to be duplicating my learning.

I like the Idea that the CCNP is concentrating on core switching and routing, rather than trying to teach a little bit of everything. This is after all what the CCNP is all about, its the core of networking.

I much rather this core consepts which can then either be addded to by achiving extra CCNA certificated to show basic knowlage of an areas, or going after a full ccsp, ccwp if thats the track you want to take.

One thing I do hope to see is MPLS though, I have nevver had to use this at work, but it being such a hot topic I would love to see it included.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    pureblue wrote: »
    Where's MPLS, IPsec, IS-IS ?
    What is cisco thinking.. A well rounded CCNP should now these topics..

theres still the VPN stuff and IPsec tunnels, so a bit of IPsec there no doubt.

and it doesnt say what is involved in the branch routing areas, so MPLS/IS-IS could still be mentioned. Just have to wait for the Cisco Blueprints I think for a more precise list of topics.

I do like the troubleshooting idea, great addition.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    buemae808buemae808 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The changes to CCNP are posted on the Cisco Learning Network site.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Click me!!

Last day to test 31/07/2010

Excellent, that gives me another month!!
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Click me!!

Last day to test 31/07/2010

Excellent, that gives me another month!!

LOL I just came here with that same link copied and ready to paste!!!!

You can still use the old exams as part of a certification it seems. (mix and match)

but I think as I am jsut starting out I am going to do it all the new way.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Snap! thanks for the update
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    looking at the blueprints, I think this version of the CCNP may actually end up being harder than the current one.

I'm very pleased to see that it looks like they're actually going to expect folks to know something about ip6, at least enough to configure it and RIPng, rather than the cursory theory that BSCI required you to know.

I actually kind of want to take the new exams myself just to see how they shake out, though that's not really in the budget
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    looking at the blueprints, I think this version of the CCNP may actually end up being harder than the current one.

TSHOOT will be a monster of an exam

According to the video I just watched, ROUTE AND SWITCH will go towards CCIP and CCDP aswell
  • Options
    You should watch the 10 minute video discussing the changes.

The CCNP exams will be 3 x 2 hours, not 4 x 90 minutes

Click Me!
  • Options
    jovan88 wrote: »
    TSHOOT will be a monster of an exam

honestly, I think it was probably needed. I'm glad to see that Cisco is going to actually try and teach some practical skills as part of the certification process, though I'll hold any further praise until I can get my hands on the TSHOOT book and see what it is they're actually trying to teach.
  • Options
    jovan88 wrote: »

They don't seem that bad.

This as one of the choices made me laugh out loud:

obligatory reload of the network equipment when you apply fixes
  • Options
    and it looks like their web team managed to screw those links up, only the first set is from TSHOOT, the other six are for CCNP Wireless exams
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Heh, no more learning to configure DHCP on the CCNP exams. Phew, dodged a bullet there icon_lol.gif!

No more iBGP either!
  • Options
    Configuring DHCP is hardly difficult :D
  • Options
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    Heh, no more learning to configure DHCP on the CCNP exams. Phew, dodged a bullet there icon_lol.gif!

No more iBGP either!

Oh I wouldn't be so sure about DHCP...

Troubleshoot a DHCP client and server solution

That's from the TSHOOT blueprint. Have to know how to configure it in order to troubleshoot it :)

And I see they're offering beta exams, $50 bucks for TSHOOT. I might just go ahead and take it at that price just for giggles.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Is it still 12.4T for labs ? Been looking around but can't find if it's been upped
    Kam.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    Heh, no more learning to configure DHCP on the CCNP exams.

Dont be so sure, found this in the TSHOOT exam blueprint

Troubleshoot a DHCP client and server solution

Better know how to configure it if your gonna troubleshoot it
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    CCNP Certification - Cisco Systems

That's been updated now.

It says that they recommend those who have BCMSN and BSCI but DO NOT have ISCW/ONT should not take ISCW or ONT and take TSHOOT instead.

What say you guys, I've just booked ISCW this morning :-/
  • Options
    New Route Curriculum
    Implement Layer 3 Path Control Solution

* Create a Layer 3 path control implementation plan based upon the results of the redistribution analysis
    * Create a Layer 3 path control verification plan
    * Configure Layer 3 path control
    * Verify that a Layer 3 path control was implemented
    * Document results of a Layer 3 path control implementation and verification plan
    * Implement basic teleworker and branch services - ISCW
    * Describe broadband technologies - ISCW
    * Configure basic broadband connections - ISCW
    * Describe basic VPN technologies - ISCW
    * Configure GRE - ISCW
    * Describe branch access technologies - ISCW
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    svo4dot6svo4dot6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□

I just booked my ISCW exam on friday, hopefully I'll pass the ISCW and ONT before the TSHOOT exam is even out of beta :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

You've got six months to wrap those two up. Quit playing around on the internet and study ;)
  • Options
    This may sound dumb, but I'm going to try and get the ISCW and the ONT done before 7/31. I know its not needed for CCNP anymore but I think the knowledge from those exams is worth it.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    svo4dot6svo4dot6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    This may sound dumb, but I'm going to try and get the ISCW and the ONT done before 7/31. I know its not needed for CCNP anymore but I think the knowledge from those exams is worth it.

Same here, plus I already have about a month of study in the ISCW anyways...so should wrap that up in by the end of Feb.

EDIT: Not to mention the current ISCW and ONT materials are pretty good, not really sure what to expect from the TSHOOT materials, especially if they are in beta until April.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You've got six months to wrap those two up. Quit playing around on the internet and study ;)

Heh, that's the plan :D

Still, nice to speculate
  • Options
    Panzer919 wrote: »

If the blueprints hold up to reality, I think the new exams will actually impart better knowledge. It looks like the new CCNP focus is tinged with a healthy degree of practicality where they want you to be able to actually do the job, rather than half assed regurgitation of a few items (I'm talking about voice and wireless) and the ability to configure a few things.

But don't just let the certification guide your path, the knowledge is what really counts. I already have my CCNP, and I fully intend to get my hands on the TSHOOT book at the least just to see if it can teach me something I don't already know.
  • Options
    svo4dot6 wrote: »
    EDIT: Not to mention the current ISCW and ONT materials are pretty good, not really sure what to expect from the TSHOOT materials, especially if they are in beta until April.

Well the study material looks to be available in early February, so you'll get a fair chance to judge it. And I'm not sure I'd call the ISCW good.... I suppose the prep material is alright for it, but I think the exam itself is a piece of garbage. Entirely too much focus on a tool I'm never going to use unless you put a gun to my head (SDM), the firewall sections weren't that much more advanced than what you learn in CCNA, and configuring dialup connections is something I can google whenever I need to do it. About the only thing worthwhile on ISCW at all were the VPN and AAA sections (please note that I'm not saying MPLS is not worthwhile. What I am saying is that ISCW's coverage is pretty damn sad)

I may be a little bit biased though. Working for Earthlink for a number of years left me with enough knowledge that I could go through the teleworker sections in my sleep, and dealing with unix boxes for years left me with more than enough knowledge when it comes to IDS/IPS and firewalling.
  • Options
    It's not really about letting them guide my path its more like, it gives me a purpose to focus on those topics and study them. Otherwise, to me, I wont really know how well I've obtained the knowledge unless I have something to test it on. I have gone through the labs over and over while in the NETAcad but I know there are some topics that did not sync in as well as others.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Entirely too much focus on a tool I'm never going to use unless you put a gun to my head (SDM), the firewall sections weren't that much more advanced than what you learn in CCNA, and configuring dialup connections is something I can google whenever I need to do it. About the only thing worthwhile on ISCW at all were the VPN and AAA sections (please note that I'm not saying MPLS is not worthwhile. What I am saying is that ISCW's coverage is pretty damn sad)

I see your point now. I had forgotten about how much SDM was in the ISCW and how I often read through it thinking why teach people this program, when it fails they will be back to using CLI and more than likely be stuck searching for the answers.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison