Options

Taking First Exam

RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
As the title says, I'm about ready for that first one (70-642).

What do I do? LOL

I have no idea where you take the test, how much lead time there is etc.

Please help.

Thanks,

roots

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I recommend you start here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/default.aspx

And then go here when you are ready:
    Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment

Lead time depends on your abilities and experience. I spent about a week preparing for the 642 portion of the 649 upgrade exam, while others may spend months learning the material. The point is not to rush through it, but to take the exams when you understand the material and are ready. If you look at the Audience Profile of the 642 exam description, you will see that they recommend you have at least a year of experience supporting a larger Windows network.

I don't recommend starting with 642 as your first exam. Take a client exam to get used to the format and get a baseline of skills. Then move on to the AD exam before the networking exam. Basically, do the exams in numerical order - client (680-Windows 7), 640, 642, 643 and then 647 to complete the MCITP:EA
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Microsoft exams are cheaper than Comptia exams but the CompTIA A+ exams are also a good starting point.

Good Luck!!!!
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    The first exam was 640 and Active Driectory...I think over 700 pages of material. I wasn't going to take my first-ever exam on that broad of a topic.

If you didn't read my "hello" post, than you don't know I have a A.A.B. in Computer Programming and a B.S. in Computer Science and was "let go" of my programming job October 2009 after 13 years as a Systems Analyst/Programmer. And my first computer was an IBM 5150 so I know my way around computers and software.

Not bragging here, just giving you some background on my age, ability to learn and be able to tackle difficult situtations as they're thrown at me. I felt 642 was a better start for me :)

Appreicate the advice, nonetheless,

roots
  • Options
    I have this in another thread, but my first MeasureUp test? 57%. I was 50/50 on that score condsidering it was first-ever test of this type :)

After reading and doing labs on 600 pages of material, an almost 60% retention rate pleased me. However, failing, did not! :) LOL

But I am impressed with the granularity that MeasureUp gives you on the test results. The breakdown of scores and percentages per objective really narrow-down where one needs to review.

So now, instead of a 45 question "full test", I'm taking 20-40 questions tests on each objective that I scored low in (and for MeasureUp, that's anywere from 80 to 85%). It's a great learning tool and I've learned to focus on not necessarily what the right answer was, but why the wrong answers were wrong (ya know, the ones that make you go "Oh crap, I knew that! :))

Anyways, looks like I'll schedule 642 for 02.04.10 (my anniversary is 02.02.10 and I don't want that to mess me up < or fail before it>).
  • Options
    Ok, went to Prometric site and registered for 70-642 on 2/4. It had the link for voucher, so I put in my number and clicked "Validate". I got no response (good OR bad) from that.

Do we think I have the free re-take???