Studying Progress for Linux+

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am currently studying for the Linux+ (2004 Objectives) XK0-002 exam. I will be sitting the exam on the last day of this month. Just wanted to tell you all that I am 60% of the way through the McGraw book I borrowed from the office and wanted to get your views on my preparation plan.

Basically, I plan to read the book to the end and then do some practice tests online for preparation. I have the Transcender practice tests as well for XK0-002.

Is it okay if I sit the 2004 exam even though I will probably be one of the last people to be Linux+ certified on 2004 objectives?

Last questions. Which logo do I get? The sexy new red one or the not so attractive, old skool, worn out blue logo which they have been using for years. While were on this note, do I get the whole Label pin, wallet card, hard copy cert package or not?

Thanks,
David
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Nothing wrong with the 2004. It's still Linux+ for lifetime.

You will get the Red logo now! I did not know about that change.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info, damn... You pretty much got the whole CompTIA suite under your belt (Minus the ones that no one sits, like the project+).

Regards,
    David
    I'm still waiting to hear how my score for the Linux+ 2009 Beta turned out. I sometimes think that I should have just taken the 2004 version, then I would already know!

I have continued on the CompTIA path because I am sort of sick of MIcrosoft OS's right now. My job is total desktop/deskside support(XP client), hardware, and enough networking/wireless networking to communicate with networking team members and keep users running.

Anyway, presently trying to get back to Cisco study. Want to continue with Cisco for the additional security information/experience as well as networking. Looks like you have that well in hand!
    janmike wrote: »
    Anyway, presently trying to get back to Cisco study. Want to continue with Cisco for the additional security information/experience as well as networking. Looks like you have that well in hand!

Cisco is definitely a big boy in the cert game. Thats sort of why I knocked out the CCNA before doing my other certs. If you do go Cisco, knock out the CCNA and then do CCNA:Security. I will sit the CCNA:Security later this year like on the 28th of December and hope my local test center will be open. Just got to knock out the Linux+, its been bugging me for the whole year!

How did you go in the Beta? Tough? And about your job, do your end users use Linux as a desktop os also? I'm a technical support engineer in an ISP here so they made me do CCNA but I really want to get into open source software and supporting it. Where I live people choose Exin over exchange and Squid over ISA, and I want to be there to support them.

Regards,
    David
    The Beta exam was not a surprise. There was little on the exam that I dd not recognize from the studies I did. I followed the CompTIA 2009 Objectives closely after I had done the same to the 2004 objectives. I have started with Linux several times over the span of several years, but had never really concentrated on exam objectives before. I was impressed by Linux plus subject material as applying to the things that I deal with on a daily basis with XP so, pretty mucy a client-side operating system approach, but with a spattering of printing and network setup basics.

After all the cert exams I have taken, I would not list any of them as "easy", but some are tougher than others. I have failed several!

My job is in a hospital environment. There are no Linux desktops in use. However, Unix-based servers, and Linux-flavored network appliances show up from time to time, and error messages sometimes give a clue as to the OS and a clue for the network-tier escalation activity--always watching for those clues.

I agree with the Cisco approach working to CCNA: Security.
    I know its probably off topic, but would you consider CEH?
    CEH appears to be a step beyond Security+ and should be applicable to all operating systems, including Linux, although we don't hear that much about Linux security in particular. It is, no doubt, a valid stepping stone in the Assurance field.

My interest in Cisco definitely includes the application of Linux on the network. But, if you can stop the hack at the Cisco entry point, all OS's should be safe and sound. So, it would not hurt to have that extra "umph" that penetration testing, etc could provide.
  • Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like we are using the same 1000 page book (R. Tracy). Good luck to you, I will be taking the same test here in a couple of weeks also.icon_thumright.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL. Yes we are, lugging it to and from the office is annoying but I must get through it!

Hows your study/prep going? I'm up to Apache in ch.14 been practicing on a Centos 5 VM.

Regards,
    David
  • Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is going well, thanks. I just started chapter 14 also. Maybe we can carpool to the exam at this rate. :D I plan on reviewing TestOut's Linux+ videos in some of the CLI areas to re-enforce those areas. I might try Transcender's 30 day practice test too.

Are you planning anything after your epic?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What are you planning after Linux+?, would be interesting to know!

Regards,
    David
    Last two weeks till exam starts tomorrow... I hope I pass! I should be okay...should be...

Any last minute advice, anyone?

Regards,
    David
    FYI,

My exam has been moved to 7th December based on the fact that I have a huge Symantec Endpoint Protection roll out before then. Will keep you all posted.

Samurai004: I have finished the book already, did all labs and practice questions. Now playing with a CentOS server for practice till I sit the exam.

Regards,
    David
    Hi People,

Okay, I know it took FOREVER for me to book this and my thread is probably gonna die soon. I now feel I am ready... I will be taking the plunge at exactly 10:00am tomorrow morning at a Pearson VUE center here in POM... Wish me luck... I will tell you all how I go tomorrow morning... FYI I am sitting the 2004 exam... I don't know whether the 2009 has been released yet, has it?

Regards,
    David
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi People,

Okay, I know it took FOREVER for me to book this and my thread is probably gonna die soon. I now feel I am ready... I will be taking the plunge at exactly 10:00am tomorrow morning at a Pearson VUE center here in POM... Wish me luck... I will tell you all how I go tomorrow morning... FYI I am sitting the 2004 exam... I don't know whether the 2009 has been released yet, has it?

Regards,
    David

Good luck! I plan to take the 2009 version if it is out in March (which it should be). Make sure to give us a full review.
    Hi knwminus,

Thanks for the luck, I passed... Wrote the full review on another thread,

http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/50431-passed-but-let-me-clear-air.html

Check it out...

Regards,
    David