Would you go? Cloud andAzure MSDN EVENT

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I thought about going to this, but I have my doubts… Does anyone think this would be worth going to? Also, is anyone going to this event in other states, or countries? Would it be worth it to use a vacation day to go to this? I went to an event like this last year called Tech Fuse, and I felt like Microsoft was mainly trying to pitch their product.
MSDN Events - Cloud Computing and Azure

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:00 PM - Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:00 PM Central Time (US & Canada)
Welcome Time: 12:30 PM

Theater - Eden Prairie 18

8251 Flying Cloud Dr
Eden Prairie Minnesota 55344
United StatesLanguage(s): English.
Product(s): Windows and Windows 7.
Audience(s): IT Generalist, IT Implementer and IT Manager.

Event Overview
SESSION 1: The Next Wave: Windows Azure

The future of highly available, high-performance, secure, dynamically scalable, hosted computing is here. It’s Microsoft’s new online service computing platform: Windows Azure. In this session, we’ll discuss and demonstrate the basics of Windows Azure and how you can leverage it in your work. We’ll show you real-world examples of how companies are using Azure today, help you think about applying it for customer-facing applications, or quickly and dynamically add horsepower to your own computing infrastructure. We’ll also touch on the exciting future of the platform – including what you can expect to see in the coming months and years.

Highlights include:

· What exactly is “Cloud Computing”? What applications are best suited to the cloud?

· Microsoft’s commitment to the Cloud: The virtualization platform and data centers

· The Azure architecture: How it all fits together

· How to get started in the cloud: Deploying and managing applications

· Will I save money by doing this? (Using the Azure TCO tool)

· What will Windows Azure look like a year from now?

SESSION 2: Hyper-V: Tools to Build the Ultimate Virtual Test Network

Windows Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V version 2.0 provide a powerful base upon which you can build a highly realistic, effective test bed for servers, clients, and networks. In this session, you’ll learn how to use the resources of a TechNet subscription, Windows Server 2008R2, Hyper-V, and a new, free sysinternals tool called Disk2vhd, to build the ultimate test or training environment. We’ll show you how to import existing virtual machines and export virtual hard disks. You’ll see how to take point-in-time snapshots, and to build snapshot hierarchies that allow you to move both backward and forward to specific points in the time of a VHD. We’ll also demonstrate how to create a virtual machine from a running physical machine, and then import that VHD into Hyper-V. By the end of this session, you’ll have a solid understanding of the tools and techniques currently available for building a great virtual environment in Hyper-V.

Highlights include:

· TechNet subscription: What is it? How do I get one? What does it cost?

· Virtual Hard Disks: format interoperability and disk types

· Working with virtual networks and network connections

· Connectivity with legacy network adapters and network adapters

· Using wireless interfaces

· Importing and exporting VHD files

· Effects of importing and exporting a VHD in Hyper-V

· How to take, apply and consolidate snapshots

SESSION 3: Windows 7 Deployment

Deploying Windows 7 is easy if you’re using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2010. This session will walk you through the various tools that can help simplify your deployments. We’ll drill down in the MDT Workbench and look at how the MDT process helps you create a reference image, which can then be easily deployed to the target computers. We’ll look at how to configure the deployment environment, show how you can add operating systems, applications, drivers, and language packs using the Deployment Workbench, and then finish up by creating a task sequenced deployment to a target computer.

Highlights include:

· Microsoft Deployment Options

· Review the MDT 2010 Deployment Process

· Deployment Tools

o Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK )

o Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010

· Configure MDT 2010 to perform a Lite Touch Installation (LTI) of Windows 7

Registration Options

Event ID:

Register by Phone
1-877-673-8368
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I went to an event like this last year called Tech Fuse, and I felt like Microsoft was mainly trying to pitch their product.
    Uh. What exactly did you think they were going to do?

What type of event was it anyway? They generally do several kinds and some of them aren't for technical people but more managerial level people to make decisions on. Even the more technical orientated events are designed to make you use their products and possibly purchase more though.

I've been to several Microsoft events and generally been happy with the content. The last one I went to was the Windows 7 technical launch and there were some non Windows 7 sessions which were pretty interesting as well.

As for whether that particular event is worthwhile or not depends on yourself and your level of expertise with Hyper-V and Windows 7. I'd personally not bother going since I don't use Hyper-V but have used it in the past and not had any difficulties with the topics they've listed. We also don't use Windows 7 yet on the desktop.