iPad - Apples Latest Device

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
You know the rumors, now the day has come. If you want to get up to speed here is a link about the device, its capabilities, pricing. Apple unveils $499 tablet, $629 with AT&T data - Yahoo! News or www.apple.com

Whats your opinions on this device? are you buying one?

I personally think its a pretty cool device, i always wanted to buy a netbook, i might pick this up instead. Well see i need to get a hands on look first and i also need to replace my iphone 2g with a 3gs or 4g, i might have to wait until summer for this bad boy.
Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not a Apple fanboy by any stretch but I try to keep an open mind about their products. This one is definitely not for me. I can't think of a single use I would have for it that I don't already have covered. I like the concept, it's getting closer to the devices that everyone carries around in sci-fi movies that can pretty much do anything, but it's currently too big, expensive, underpowered, and locked down for my needs. Besides, it doesn't support multitasking, which is just stupid.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Could be neat but currently I don't think I need something like the iPad. Its a giant iPod touch and a data only cell connection or a giant iPhone with no camera and a data only cell connection.

The iPad would be something I'd leave next to the bed or on the table in the living room for quick internet or ebook usage. My iPod touch basically lives in my house and I very rarely take it out with me. I use it as a controller for my SqueezeBoxes around the house and basic internet so this would be a replacement for that. However, I'm happy with the form factor of the iPod touch.

Elsewhere I'd want a proper netbook that has a built in keyboard and the ability to run my own applications.

It doesn't appear to have a camera oddly which I would have expected for IM use.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Typical apple re-inventing the wheel.

Take something already on the market, give it a cosmetic makeover slap an apple logo on it and sell it for twice the price.
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    GAngel wrote: »

Take something already on the market, give it a cosmetic makeover slap an apple logo on it and sell it for twice the price.

Actually I was quite surprised of the price, what do you compare it with when you say twice the price?

When you take the Kindle DX for the same price... put them both side by side and this iPad has a LOT more to offer!
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I'm not a Apple fanboy by any stretch but I try to keep an open mind about their products. This one is definitely not for me. I can't think of a single use I would have for it that I don't already have covered. I like the concept, it's getting closer to the devices that everyone carries around in sci-fi movies that can pretty much do anything, but it's currently too big, expensive, underpowered, and locked down for my needs. Besides, it doesn't support multitasking, which is just stupid.

Totally agree with assessment. Its a great novelty, but impractical at that price.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

If you could successfully do this and Apple generally does, wouldn't you do it?

They may give it a cosmetic makeover but they're usually very good on the little details that other companies may just ignore or not bother about. I've bought plenty of other devices from other companies that have a rough edge to some features or UI details because it was good enough to ship so they never bothered to make it better.

Apple could release a series of Apple branded bricks call the iBrick and there would be furious blog/news activity along with the Apple fanboys all screaming about it and the anti Apple crowd complaining about it.
    broc wrote: »
    Actually I was quite surprised of the price, what do you compare it with when you say twice the price?

When you take the Kindle DX for the same price... put them both side by side and this iPad has a LOT more to offer!

It's essentially a slimmer version of a netbook judging by it's features. Or a really big ipod. It's not small enough to comfortably hide so you have to lug it around just like a computer.

Don't feed me $hit and tell me it's steak.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's just a big itouch. The data plans are just stupid. I can get a kindle with free 3g connection. But if I where to compare the 2 i would buy the ipad as an e-reader since they are the same price and the ipad does more and has more storage. Still though this thing should have been setup with osx 10.6 not some crappy worthless os that cant be used for other than apps. I want to be able to use vpn and remote desktop and those type of features that a real computer can do. I want to be able to browse files and folders. Just not what it should be in my opinion. Also 16gb are you kidding me this should have been a minimum of 80gb and gone from there.
    Still though this thing should have been setup with osx 10.6 not some crappy worthless os that cant be used for other than apps.
    It already runs the Darwin kernel and has OSX libraries. The version that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch is a stripped down version. You're not going to be able to transfer your regular apps over because of the processor difference anyway.
    I want to be able to use vpn and remote desktop and those type of features that a real computer can do. I want to be able to browse files and folders. Just not what it should be in my opinion.
    You want a netbook like me and not the iPad. They're not aiming this thing at you or me. If you want an all singing and all dancing device that lets you run anything you want, VPN, remote desktop and all the features that a regular computer can do then buy a laptop or a netbook :P
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    It's essentially a slimmer version of a netbook judging by it's features. Or a really big ipod. It's not small enough to comfortably hide so you have to lug it around just like a computer.

Don't feed me $hit and tell me it's steak.

I'm not, it's not a product for me at all, I don't see the interest. As you point out, it's "kind" of a netbook and I don't see the point, it's too big to carry around in your pocket and not powerful enough to do anything useful.

Now, you see, I'm not telling you it's steak, but the price is good compare to other products in the market which make a change for Apple. I love my iPhone 2g and would like to upgrade but the price is just crazy for a phone (even if it's a brilliant phone).
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
    broc wrote: »
    I'm not, it's not a product for me at all, I don't see the interest. As you point out, it's "kind" of a netbook and I don't see the point, it's too big to carry around in your pocket and not powerful enough to do anything useful.

Now, you see, I'm not telling you it's steak, but the price is good compare to other products in the market which make a change for Apple. I love my iPhone 2g and would like to upgrade but the price is just crazy for a phone (even if it's a brilliant phone).

Heh I didn't mean you specifically. More towards apple and why they think I'd want to walk around with a 10" tv. I'm assuming that comes with a free mugging.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely not interested. Maybe after a few updates, but they still don't do multitasking. I might like to listen to some music while I'm reading.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Closed platform, no multitasking, no Flash, no webcam, and it looks like any expansion ports (USB, video out, SD) are going to come in the form of dongles (sold separately, naturally). How is this better than a netbook?

As it looks now, it doesn't do anything better than any other device. I love my iPhone (and have since I got one on the original release day), but there's not a single compelling reason for me to buy an iPad.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    You want a netbook like me and not the iPad. They're not aiming this thing at you or me. If you want an all singing and all dancing device that lets you run anything you want, VPN, remote desktop and all the features that a regular computer can do then buy a laptop or a netbook :P

I'm not taking sides here on the subject, but the iPhone OS does natively support IPSec VPN and there are a multitude of remote desktop applications.

Flash is a non-issue. It is going to be replaced with HTML5 so I'm not worried about that. I'm a little disappointed with the lack of camera considering some of the rumors - and I realize they were just rumors - mentioned something to the effect of facial recognition which would load specific device profiles.
    RTmarc wrote: »
    I'm not taking sides here on the subject, but the iPhone OS does natively support IPSec VPN and there are a multitude of remote desktop applications.
    Yeah. I've tried the remote desktop apps on my iPod touch. Its painful though. No mouse + no keyboard and only a touchscreen to control a desktop made me give up quickly. I'd expect it to be nicer on the iPad though because of the larger screen.
    Flash is a non-issue.
    Gordon can do Flash in Javascript and HTML5. No need for a native Flash engine now.
    It is going to be replaced with HTML5 so I'm not worried about that.
    HTML5 is like a train derailing but in slow motion. There are big arguments over what formats to support for audio and video. The original plan was that everything would be in Ogg containers and support Theora for video and Vorbis for audio.

Apple and some others complained and W3C ripped out that part of the spec. Apple prefers H.264 since they're already paying fees for it in QuickTime and they say they're unsure about the patent status of Theora and Vorbis.

H.264 is being used by sites like YouTube but Mozilla have said that they can't and won't support it because it requires licensing fees.

So we're already at the stage that a major browser won't be able to play certain content and the spec hasn't even been finalised.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see this scenario, buy an ipad wifi and tether it with your iphone 3g or 4g(when it comes out) and have internet capabilities for a cheaper price than a iPad wifi-G3 model. Im sure your phone will always be with you while you have the iPad around, so why not tether it vie blue tooth icon_wink.gif the posibilities are endless , i cant wait till they start cracking this puppy and creating all sorts of apps for it. I am definetly getting this instead of a netbook.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others have said, it's a good concept but is not very practical. I'd rather have a netbook on me. It would have been more functional if it had a fully functioning OS, usb ports, possibly a thin slide-out keyboard, and a light dual-core or and Atom processor.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Its a giant ipod touch. I love my iphone but i wouldn't pay $500 (or $850) for this hunk of junk. No multi tasking? no flash? no USB? no SD? an OS thats locked down to hell and only allows you to run apps they decide are okay (even then most of them are stupid novelty apps) ? I think theres potential for tablets for both business and personal use but it'll never come from apple.

The most positive thing i can say about the iPad is that for the $850 model with 3G ATT will not be fisting people this time around (no contract, no absurd fees)(In other news, Crisco will downsizing considerably as a result)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm going to buy 20 of them and use them as digital picture frames. I'm also disappointed at the lack of tampon jokes thus far.
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    What market is this for? Trendy yuppies with cash to spare who think newspapers are for losers? It is a good idea, but the wrong economy for a product like this. Existing apple users seem to be the only potential market.

Does it come with a touch screen pen and have the feel of writing on paper?

I agree with you guys, a netbook has a keyboard which is then the better buy when matched against this device.

I am not a big fan of Apple's hardware dependent sales model. I might actually consider OSX over Win 7 on a netbook of my choice say ASUS.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have read other people calling it an iPod for senior citizens.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    Its a giant ipod touch.
    +1
    exampasser wrote: »
    I have read other people calling it an iPod for senior citizens.

Hum.... a giant iPod Touch for Senior Citizens. I guess I should get one for my mom. She could put it next to her giant remote control and giant calculator. icon_lol.gif

I could read off my iPod Touch -- if I had to. I guess I could read off an iPad easier than an iPod Touch -- but since it isn't eInk I'd like some of the pundits to explain how they are comparing it to and claiming it threatens eReaders. icon_scratch.gif

I could surf the web on my iPod Touch -- if I had to. And I guess the iPad is more convenient for surfing the web than the iPod Touch. Ah ha -- the iPad is the perfect for the bathroom appliance -- that's why they didn't give it a camera!! icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My brain is repeating "move along nothing to see here" I will just continue to love my EEPC. I get a constant 9+ hours of battery life no matter what I do and it has 160gig of storage 2gig of RAM and a decent camera, three usb ports, a SD slot, blue tooth and 11n wi-fi. My laptop never leaves home anymore. Except now I seem to collect SD's instead of CD/DVD's 6 or 7 4GB's a lot easer to keep track of than flash drives.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is it that time of the month? Do you feel like there is nothing out there that can make it any better? Well lucky for you Apple has come out with the Ipad. It's 10" long so you don't have to worry about any messes and its so thin and lightweight you won't even know it's down there. But steve how long will the Ipad last? The Ipad will last through 10 hours of rigorous use before it will need a recharge. But does it have enough storage for all the messes in 10 hours? Well I am glad you asked that. There are 3 different storage options for the Ipad. 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb. So no matter if your time of the month is always light or really heavy there is enough storage to hold for anyone. But Steve you say this only helps if I am not bloated. Well guess what there is an app for that. Ibloat takes care of all the uncomfortableness of bloating. Just download the app via the 3g plan you got with the Ipad or stand real close to a wi-fi hotspot. But Steve what about the cramping. Also not an issue because there is an app for that to. Icrampinmypants is a great app for just that kind of pain. It is available on the app store for $10.99 and will automatically renew every month when the Ipad motion sensor's feel it coming on. So don't delay by the most REVOLUTIONARY, MAGICAL pad to ever hit the market.

Sorry I couldn't resist. If this isn't funny to you I apologize cause it's hilarious to me.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think some people are missing the point of the iPad. It's not meant to directly compete with tablet PCs or netbooks. How could it with a phone OS?

This device is Apple's entry into the ebook reader market. They want to take over ebook distribution just like they did with digital music distribution. Why else would Apple secure deals with major publishers, or take jabs at Amazon in the press, or demo the device by having Jobs sitting on a couch on a stage?

People in the market for an e-reader want the form factor of an e-reader, they don't want a netbook. Tablet PCs have the right form factor, and are much more feature rich, but cost way more, have worse battery life, and are heavier.

The fact that the iPad has many additional functions makes it an even more compelling option. If you are relaxing in the den reading an ebook and need to check your email, or sports scores, or other simple tasks, you can do it without getting up, there's no need to fire up your laptop/desktop/tablet pc/netbook or other full-featured device at all.

As an e-reader, I think the iPad will be a contender. The large, color touch screen e-reader makes it competitive at the $500 price point (16GB is more than enough for storing ebooks). Of course there are downsides, too, particularly the lack of an e-ink display. Color is nice, but for extended reading, e-ink is generally considered superior.

It will be interesting to see what happens. One great thing is that the e-reader market now has another competitor, and a serious, motivated one, at that, which can only benefit consumers.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it that time of the month? Do you feel like there is nothing out there that can make it any better? Well lucky for you Apple has come out with the Ipad. It's 10" long so you don't have to worry about any messes and its so thin and lightweight you won't even know it's down there. But steve how long will the Ipad last? The Ipad will last through 10 hours of rigorous use before it will need a recharge. But does it have enough storage for all the messes in 10 hours? Well I am glad you asked that. There are 3 different storage options for the Ipad. 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb. So no matter if your time of the month is always light or really heavy there is enough storage to hold for anyone. But Steve you say this only helps if I am not bloated. Well guess what there is an app for that. Ibloat takes care of all the uncomfortableness of bloating. Just download the app via the 3g plan you got with the Ipad or stand real close to a wi-fi hotspot. But Steve what about the cramping. Also not an issue because there is an app for that to. Icrampinmypants is a great app for just that kind of pain. It is available on the app store for $10.99 and will automatically renew every month when the Ipad motion sensor's feel it coming on. So don't delay by the most REVOLUTIONARY, MAGICAL pad to ever hit the market.

Sorry I couldn't resist. If this isn't funny to you I apologize cause it's hilarious to me.

Not bad ;)

Someone at work just said, "The iPad is the most convenient device ever. Period."
    dynamik wrote: »
    Someone at work just said, "The iPad is the most convenient device ever. Period."
    *groan*
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »

Please shoot that person now!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    iDont get it!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)