iPad - Apples Latest Device

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Haven't you guys heard the rumor that they're going to come out with a larger wide-screen version and call it the Max iPad?

I do find the backlash from what seems like the entire internet to be rather humorous though. It's like they didn't use a focus group for this thing at all. No camera, multitasking, flash support, etc.?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote: »
    Haven't you guys heard the rumor that they're going to come out with a larger wide-screen version and call it the Max iPad?
    Dude. Don't give up your day job :P
    dynamik wrote: »
    I do find the backlash from what seems like the entire internet to be rather humorous though. It's like they didn't use a focus group for this thing at all. No camera, multitasking, flash support, etc.?
    The lack of multitasking (unless you're Apple) and Flash support isn't specific to the iPad though. They're already (not) doing that for the iPhone and iPod touch and don't seem to be changing that view anytime soon. Remember, Apple/Steve knows best. If you don't like how it works then tough.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think some people are missing the point of the iPad. It's not meant to directly compete with tablet PCs or netbooks. How could it with a phone OS?

Direct from Steve him self. I take this as an attack on netbooks and in every way him saying that this device is men't to compete with netbooks

'This device has to be far better at doing key tasks than a smart phone or a laptop
    now some people have thought that thats a netbook.
    The problem is netbooks aren't better at anything. (applause)
    There slow they have low quality displays and they run clunky old PC software.
    there not better then a laptop at anything there just cheaper.'

A few minutes later he says: 'And what this device does is extraordinary. Its the best browsing experience you have ever had. Way better then a laptop way better than a smart phone.' 'It's a dream to type on'

I would say by these statements that this thing should do more than a netbook.

The sad thing is later in his speech this arrogant a-hole tells the people first that this thing is 'Revolutionary & Magical' and then goes on to say this: 'another thing we are so excited about is because we have shipped over 75 million iphones and ipod touches there are 75 million people that already know how to use the ipad.' For the 500 morons that where there and people around the world that can't translate Steve's BS he just said 'hey you are all morons. 75 million of you already have this device that is more portable and does the exact same thing but because your so stupid you are now going to buy a 10" screen version of what you already have because I said its 'new, revolutionary, and magical.' They actually where dumb enough to applaud this.

People are just so stupid some times.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Im a PC/Windows guy myself, but i have to admit the ipod/iphone/ & now the iPad are great products. Im not big MAC/Apple/Steve Jobs fanboy but i think those 3 products are great. Well the first two have been proven to be great but i think the iPad is headed in the right direction. Anyways i think some of you are getting a little out of hand calling people stupid and morons for being interested in the iPad. Many people did the same thing when they heard that Apple was trying to make a "Cell Phone" people said "A computer company making a phone? ludicrous!" I may not have MACs and all my computers are PC/windows based, but my mp3 players, phone devices will stay Apple. Perhaps my future "netbook" will be an iPad too.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I have a Macbook pro as my laptop. I just bought my wife a 27" Imac and she also has a Macbook pro and an older Imac. I also have an iphone and an ipod and she has an ipod nano and a shuffle. We also own an appletv and i use to have a mac mini. By no means do I hate apple. They have had some good products over the years but this is a joke. He is just repacking the same crap and selling it as something god like that has never been seen before and people are dumb enough to believe him.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Direct from Steve him self. I take this as an attack on netbooks and in every way him saying that this device is men't to compete with netbooks

'This device has to be far better at doing key tasks than a smart phone or a laptop
    now some people have thought that thats a netbook.
    The problem is netbooks aren't better at anything. (applause)
    There slow they have low quality displays and they run clunky old PC software.
    there not better then a laptop at anything there just cheaper.'

A few minutes later he says: 'And what this device does is extraordinary. Its the best browsing experience you have ever had. Way better then a laptop way better than a smart phone.' 'It's a dream to type on'

I would say by these statements that this thing should do more than a netbook.

The sad thing is later in his speech this arrogant a-hole tells the people first that this thing is 'Revolutionary & Magical' and then goes on to say this: 'another thing we are so excited about is because we have shipped over 75 million iphones and ipod touches there are 75 million people that already know how to use the ipad.' For the 500 morons that where there and people around the world that can't translate Steve's BS he just said 'hey you are all morons. 75 million of you already have this device that is more portable and does the exact same thing but because your so stupid you are now going to buy a 10" screen version of what you already have because I said its 'new, revolutionary, and magical.' They actually where dumb enough to applaud this.

People are just so stupid some times.
    Read your own quote. Jobs said, "This device has to be far better at doing key tasks than a smart phone or a laptop". He's not saying it has to do EVERY task of a phone and a laptop, only KEY tasks, and that a netbook does not do those key tasks better. It should be obvious that it can't do every task a phone can since it can't make a phone call! icon_lol.gif

What are those key tasks? #1 is function as an e-reader. You can certainly read on a smart phone or a laptop, but the experience is better on a dedicated e-reader, or at least many people seem to think so considering the massive sales growth in the e-reader market right now.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'm just amused. I saw quite a bit of this same negativity when the iPod was released.

We all know how that worked out for Apple.

I'd like one, but it's just a bit too pricey for me right now, and I know better than to go for buyin on first generation products. Maybe in a few years.

I also find it amusing that there's such an uproar here over the iPad, but Comcast beginning ip6 trials with it's customers has gone unremarked.
    I know better than to go for buyin on first generation products. Maybe in a few years.
    +1 Try to avoid buying first gen Apple products.
    I also find it amusing that there's such an uproar here over the iPad, but Comcast beginning ip6 trials with it's customers has gone unremarked.
    My ISP has had native IPv6 over DSL for a few years now :P Isn't there some other big ISP in the US that has had IPv6 internally for years?
    I'm just amused. I saw quite a bit of this same negativity when the iPod was released.

We all know how that worked out for Apple.

I'd like one, but it's just a bit too pricey for me right now, and I know better than to go for buyin on first generation products. Maybe in a few years.
    I'm also going to pass, $500 is just too steep for something I will mainly use as an e-reader. Other downsides for me are the LCD screen (I think I'll go with an e-reader with e-ink display), and I dislike how Apple electronics are so locked down... e.g. the iPad lacks a USB port, a user replaceable battery, etc.

What I'm hoping is that Apple shakes up the e-reader market, and causes the competition to drop prices and improve their products. I'm really interested in the Que from Plastic Logic, but the pricing is just crazy (IIRC $650 for the base model). I think they will have to drop the price in response to the iPad.
    IPv6 vs. IPv4 doesn't quite polarize people like Apple can. :D
    MentholMoose
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What are those key tasks? #1 is function as an e-reader.
    Isn't the #1 feature of an e-reader an e-ink display? icon_lol.gif My desktop is "full color" and "high resolution" and I still prefer not to read a book on that for any length of time.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    IPv6 vs. IPv4 doesn't quite polarize people like Apple can. :D

Yeah, I just find it sort of amusing that a forum full of geeks can ignore it. I know the US is kind of backwards in some things, especially when it comes to residential internet, and the rest of the world has been quietly moving to ip6 for awhile now.

But if Comcast does start deploying native ipv6, and starts marketing it to American's like it matters, and then it looks like they're gaining a business advantage because of it, others will follow suit. Comcast's decision to roll it out to their customers may very well be the tipping point for global ipv6 adoption.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, I just find it sort of amusing that a forum full of geeks can ignore it.
    I think I did my first IPv6 "conversion" back in 95 or 96 -- so I can't really get excited over this "new IPv6 stuff."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Who wants to read on an LCD screen though? I'd still buy the kindle over this.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Isn't the #1 feature of an e-reader an e-ink display? icon_lol.gif My desktop is "full color" and "high resolution" and I still prefer not to read a book on that for any length of time.
    Even if your desktop had an e-ink display, you still wouldn't read on it for extended periods. A desktop is not portable, so it has limited use as an e-reader. So, I think the form factor is very important.

Choosing LCD versus e-ink is debatable since there are pros and cons for each.
    MentholMoose
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im not an apple fanboy at all. the only apple product i own is an old G5 ipod and a 2g iphone. Personally i think this product has alot of future potential and lets be honest, whether you love or hate apple, they take a product and make it the dogs bollocks in many cases. I think this device would be great in the future if it had video conferencing and the many other features which are standard nowadays (SD, multi tasking, USB etc) and it could be a great coporate and home device imo. I do think it could help take video conferencing and bring it to the mainstream market if played correctly.

i have to admit i do agree the new release does miss alot of standard features in this current generation and consequently i would not purchase it for its RRP. Of course, being in the UK we'll get screwed on the pricing anyway! I think they would also have to dramatically reduce the cost too.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think iPad is a horrible name for it. But I do wonder if it is going to come with a blood app.

On a more serious note, I am definately not going to buy an iPad. I am going to hold out and wait for the HP Slate.
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    worst peace of 'invention' ever. Any computer that can't multitask is worthless in my book
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    nice343 wrote: »
    worst peace of 'invention' ever. Any computer that can't multitask is worthless in my book

I'd have to agree with you. Its 2010 and they can't even make the thing do two things at once? I'm sure they will still sell millions of these over priced pieces of crap though to the "hip" crowd.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I'd have to agree with you. Its 2010 and they can't even make the thing do two things at once? I'm sure they will still sell millions of these over priced pieces of crap though to the "hip" crowd.
    It can multitask. It is just restricted from doing so. Apple have helper processes running in the background for their own software though that handles things like checking email. They don't allow others to do so however.

I can see the logic behind restricting it though as it is intended as an appliance for non technical users. Users don't have to worry about whether RandomApp is using up memory, burning up CPU cycles or draining the battery when they're not actually using it. Make it simple by only allowing 1 active app. I can also see why people (myself included) would want the ability to multitask.
    tiersten wrote: »
    It can multitask. It is just restricted from doing so. Apple have helper processes running in the background for their own software though that handles things like checking email. They don't allow others to do so however.

I can see the logic behind restricting it though as it is intended as an appliance for non technical users. Users don't have to worry about whether RandomApp is using up memory, burning up CPU cycles or draining the battery when they're not actually using it. Make it simple by only allowing 1 active app. I can also see why people (myself included) would want the ability to multitask.

Yup, that's exactly how I see it. It's just an appliance. If I need the ability to multitask, then I'll use a netbook if for some strange reason I can't use my laptop. Otherwise, this is just something to read, surf and check your email on, and maybe listen to some music.

I'd honestly like one, but not at that price. I'd rather spend my money on something like a nook or a Que
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nice343 wrote: »

I would have to disagree, multitasking has been the death of Windows Mobile. Those things are dirt slow. The less tasks running the better for the common user.

Now as far as the iPad (worst name ever, yuck!) I have no idea whether I would like it or not. I am a big fan of the iPod touch.
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Apple Redefines a Market: Hands-on with iPad - SlashGear

I was watching this and came up with some reasons why this might work or flop.

Tablet PC's with touch screens sell for well above $500.00 so the 16gb model is not bad for the money; given Apples touch software.

The proprietary model makes me ask what can I really do with this? Ebooks from the iPad store, photos from approved cameras, and email? Is that it?

I want to use .pdf files that I access from a windows/linux file server.
    I want to watch movies and view photos in all open formats .jpg .mkv and .avi using popular compression like xvid and divx.

Can I attach USB storage like a 1TB drive? Can I use MS Mac Office?

I agree with some of you that Apple is making progress in touch screen software having seen this demo, but this device needs to go to version 5.0 before most of the features I want to be integrated, to appear.

Cisco and Microsoft are working towards a unified and integrated environment; Apple appears to be making progress, but snubbing other vendors will only keep it isolated and prevent economies of scale from putting them in a dominate position.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
    jeanathan wrote: »
    Tablet PC's with touch screens sell for well above $500.00 so the 16gb model is not bad for the money; given Apples touch software.
    Tablet PC would be running a full OS like OSX, Linux or Windows and has no restrictions on what you run. The iPad uses the iPhone OS and without hacking it, you're restricted to what is available via the App Store and preinstalled.
    The proprietary model makes me ask what can I really do with this? Ebooks from the iPad store, photos from approved cameras, and email? Is that it?
    eBooks, web, email, photos, music and whatever you buy from the App Store. They're offering a ported version of the iWorks apps for $10 each from the App Store so you can do word processing or spreadsheet work if you want to. Its photos off SD cards if you've got the SD adapter or any USB camera that appears as a MSC device.
    I want to use .pdf files that I access from a windows/linux file server.
    No idea about accessing it from a file server but you can already view PDFs. The PDF viewer in the iPhone/iPod touch is pretty crap though since you can't bookmark places and you always jump to the start but they'll probably improve that for the iPad.
    I want to watch movies and view photos in all open formats .jpg .mkv and .avi using popular compression like xvid and divx.
    No. Not going to happen without a hacked iPad for the video. It already can view JPEG files. Convert the video to MPEG4 and transfer using iTunes like you do for the iPod and iPhone.
    Can I attach USB storage like a 1TB drive?
    Doubt it. If you're going to tether the iPad anyway to a HD then buy a desktop or laptop.
    Can I use MS Mac Office?
    No. Not unless Microsoft release an iPad version of it. It doesn't use an x86 processor.
    I agree with some of you that Apple is making progress in touch screen software having seen this demo, but this device needs to go to version 5.0 before most of the features I want to be integrated, to appear.
    Some of the features are extremely unlikely to ever appear so you're going to be waiting longer than v5.0 to get them.
    Cisco and Microsoft are working towards a unified and integrated environment; Apple appears to be making progress, but snubbing other vendors will only keep it isolated and prevent economies of scale from putting them in a dominate position.
    Apple do things their own way and generally don't like letting others into their playground. Economies of scale? You mean like selling millions of iPods and iPhones isn't quite enough?

It sounds like you want a laptop anyway and not an iPad.
    I hadn't realized this was not a x86, if they did the full OSX operating system on an nvidia/intel hardware platform at the $500 price point I would be persuaded to pick up the ipad over a $300 netbook.
    Economies of scale? You mean like selling millions of iPods and iPhones isn't quite enough?

Even if at 750 million components worldwide; considering vs. billions of potential customers it doesn't portray dominance. I actually mean market share %. It is not bad, but outside of maybe the mp3 player market (sandisk, creative, cowin, and etc...) Apple doesn't dominate a market the way Google does search or MS does the desktop platform.

I remember seeing Wozniak talking about the integrated software/hardware platform and mumbling something about gross revenue $ requirements mandated by shareholders. I think it was an interview on the Charlie Rose show (PBS here in the US). Charlie Rose - A conversation with co-founder of Apple Inc. Steve Wozniak
    Why doesn't it do that, why doesn't it have this feature or that feature?
    -- Wozniak on integrated mobile devices.
    We didn't go the Microsoft route and then they passed us up one year
    -- Woz on the locked hardware model.

It sounds like you want a laptop anyway and not an iPad.

Close. I have a laptop, but would like a high battery life tablet with touchscreen functionality that the iPad has at the $500 price point. But that device needs more functionality within existing IT environments than the current iPad delivers. I think Apple could push Toshiba, HP, and Gateway out of the tablet market if they can deliver more goods at the $500 price point. (Never would pay more for it when a net book is $299 for 11 hour battery).
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
    Even if at 750 million components worldwide; considering vs. billions of potential customers it doesn't portray dominance. I actually mean market share %. It is not bad, but outside of maybe the mp3 player market (sandisk, creative, cowin, and etc...) Apple doesn't dominate a market the way Google does search or MS does the desktop platform.
    If it means they'll have to open up the platform to other companies then Apple won't do it. They tried the clone market before but quickly shut that down. Steve Job's view of computers is that it should be an appliance. Plug it in and go. You shouldn't ever actually need to open it up for anything or tinker around. If users have a choice then it had better be an Apple approved choice. It is ironic that Apple made the 1984 advert and now have DRM and software restrictions.
    I think Apple could push Toshiba, HP, and Gateway out of the tablet market if they can deliver more goods at the $500 price point. (Never would pay more for it when a net book is $299 for 11 hour battery).
    Currently they're different markets. Tablet PCs are full sized PCs. iPad is a giant iPod touch style appliance. iPads will eat into the market currently occupied by the companies you listed but you can't replace them all with iPads as you've mentioned.

People were originally hoping that the rumoured iPad would be a MacBook with the screen/touchscreen of the actual iPad. That would be the device you're after and I'm sure there would be a large number of other people interested assuming it had a reasonable price. If they ever did release one, I'd expect it to be pretty expensive though.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a laptop, but would like a high battery life tablet with touchscreen functionality that the iPad has at the $500 price point. But that device needs more functionality within existing IT environments than the current iPad delivers. I think Apple could push Toshiba, HP, and Gateway out of the tablet market if they can deliver more goods at the $500 price point. (Never would pay more for it when a net book is $299 for 11 hour battery).

You might want to check out the Touch Book from http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/. I'm sure it's not as polished as the iPad, but it would fit your requirements.
    kalebksp wrote: »
    You might want to check out the Touch Book from http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/. I'm sure it's not as polished as the iPad, but it would fit your requirements.

Good find kalebksp.

Well it looks like the interaction between user and computer are a bit slow and unrefined in the videos,but it is in beta. $315-$325 depending on shipping in U.S. Obviously, it would take a very long time to get the interface up to par with the ipad, but the open environment is great and cost is less.

256MB RAM is too low
    touchpad is not multitouch
    3-5hr battery as touchpad alone

It needs work, but usb hdd and open source application portability make it look like a promising project, but probably underfunded. Though, I may ultimately try one if the RAM level rises in the future and battery life increases for touchpad alone option.