Options

Security+ on Monday

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hi everyone.

I've been lurking for a month or so, and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been in IT for 10 years, the past two as a Sys Admin. I've been handling the security (audits, documentation, etc) for the past year and a half and I've decided to sit the Security+ exam this coming Monday.

I did the TestOut training in December then, after the recommendations from this forum, I picked up Darril's book and have been using that as well (along with his blog and Tweets). Needless to say I'm a bit nervous - I haven't taken an IT exam/test in about 5-6 years (when I did my MCSE). I'm going to do a "last minute cram" this weekend - but if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to speak up.
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    It sounds like you've been doing a lot of the right things. The only other thing I'd suggest is review practice test questions at this point with an emphasis on knowing in your head why the right answers are right and why the wrong answers are wrong.

The book you have has a practice exam at the beginning and another one at the end. Go through these again and make sure all of the answers (not necessarily all of the questions) are familiar to you. These practice qustions have detailed explanations and also list the relevant chapter where the topic is covered. If any of the topics aren't familiar, review the practice questions and content in the relevant chapter.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I've been lurking for a month or so, and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been in IT for 10 years, the past two as a Sys Admin. I've been handling the security (audits, documentation, etc) for the past year and a half and I've decided to sit the Security+ exam this coming Monday.

I did the TestOut training in December then, after the recommendations from this forum, I picked up Darril's book and have been using that as well (along with his blog and Tweets). Needless to say I'm a bit nervous - I haven't taken an IT exam/test in about 5-6 years (when I did my MCSE). I'm going to do a "last minute cram" this weekend - but if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to speak up.

I would say review any sections you highlighted and do any flashcards/practice test you have. How long have you been studying? You will probably be fine. Good luck!
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I started studying around January (once I got the book). I've gone through the tests in Darril's book quite a few times - I'm going to hit them again this weekend. I've been trying to focus on areas that I know I'm weak in (crytpo is the big one).

I feel like I did years ago when I did my CCNA (I let it expire and never have re-certified) - I think I'm at a point where I know the material, I'm just ready to get the test over with.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    EmpathyEmpathy Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Good luck! I'm taking mine Tuesday as well!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com