iPad - Apples Latest Device

13»

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    jeanathan wrote: »
    Good find kalebksp.

Well it looks like the interaction between user and computer are a bit slow and unrefined in the videos,but it is in beta. $315-$325 depending on shipping in U.S. Obviously, it would take a very long time to get the interface up to par with the ipad, but the open environment is great and cost is less.

256MB RAM is too low
    touchpad is not multitouch
    3-5hr battery as touchpad alone

It needs work, but usb hdd and open source application portability make it look like a promising project, but probably underfunded. Though, I may ultimately try one if the RAM level rises in the future and battery life increases for touchpad alone option.
    The other option would be the newly announced MSI tablet with 10 inch capacitive touchscreen LCD running Android. Probably not the greatest thing ever for them to be releasing at the same price point and time at the iPad tho.
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Huh, it looks like Asus displayed a tablet similar to the MSI at CES 2010 and the Archos 9 Windows 7 PC tablet 60GB might be just what I need; I think I'll wait and see how aggressive the pricing gets once all the players are in the market. This could be an interesting year.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Archos 9
    I like my iPod Touch, but some of it's limitations and issues had me look at the Archos. I still might consider adding a Archos 7 (for the larger screen) to my electronic gizmo herd.

And I saw the Archos 9 -- which is probably part of the reason why the iPad is priced lower than expected.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good find kalebksp.

Well it looks like the interaction between user and computer are a bit slow and unrefined in the videos,but it is in beta. $315-$325 depending on shipping in U.S. Obviously, it would take a very long time to get the interface up to par with the ipad, but the open environment is great and cost is less.

256MB RAM is too low
    touchpad is not multitouch
    3-5hr battery as touchpad alone

It needs work, but usb hdd and open source application portability make it look like a promising project, but probably underfunded. Though, I may ultimately try one if the RAM level rises in the future and battery life increases for touchpad alone option.

It lists 512MB of RAM on the site. I didn't notice that one of the batteries was in the keyboard.

I'm curious what those of you who want a tablet style device would use it for. I can't think of anything I'd use one for. Between my iPhone, Kindle, and netbook (which has a 3G) I have all my bases covered. You might say that three devices are too much but I don't carry them all with me and I can't see a way in which they could be combined (I can't read books on a LCD).

Although... If someone took the detachable keyboard concept of the Touch Book and stuck an eInk screen on the other side of the LCD that might be awesome, if a bit ugly.
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    I think a really the ipad will be a game changer but in a different way and for a different group of people.

Field personal such as delivery personal, field workers, who now have a device that is not a stand alone company specific. Think UPS, Fedex, water department, type of people etc. A hardened panasonic toughbook runs about $3500 including the dock and software. They also weight about 9 lbs and usually are obsolete within 4 years. Other devices are ones specifically built to the users specs. These devices tend to cost more, and are difficult to fix and repair once they have broke. I know as I have been on this end of the it world.

The ipad offers a nice solution out of the box for $600. Can do email, texting, and internet browsing and has 3g included with it. You can store pdf's, documents, and can watch videos on it. It is very easy to write apps for apple devices and it is easy to find people to do this.

Because of this alone I can see a company such as UPS going with an IPAD to replace their drivers tablet they have now and it may happen very quickly.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Until people can develop their own applications for it without having to go through the app store and take advantage of multitasking, I have a difficult time believing it's going to be considered for a lot of these niche applications.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    bellhead wrote: »
    Field personal such as delivery personal, field workers, who now have a device that is not a stand alone company specific. Think UPS, Fedex, water department, type of people etc. A hardened panasonic toughbook runs about $3500 including the dock and software. They also weight about 9 lbs and usually are obsolete within 4 years. Other devices are ones specifically built to the users specs. These devices tend to cost more, and are difficult to fix and repair once they have broke. I know as I have been on this end of the it world.

The ipad offers a nice solution out of the box for $600. Can do email, texting, and internet browsing and has 3g included with it. You can store pdf's, documents, and can watch videos on it. It is very easy to write apps for apple devices and it is easy to find people to do this.

Because of this alone I can see a company such as UPS going with an IPAD to replace their drivers tablet they have now and it may happen very quickly.
    You're comparing a ruggedised laptop against the iPad which isn't ruggedised at all. Considering the state of the PDAs that the FedEx and UPS guys use when delivering to me, I don't see the iPad lasting 5 minutes before its broken.

I'd expect them to get "lost" as well.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As long as iSSH works and it has decent PDF support I’m in – I look at it more as a color eBook reader then a complete laptop replacement.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    nice343 wrote: »
    worst peace of 'invention' ever. Any computer that can't multitask is worthless in my book

You guys forget that this thing will be jail-broken the day of launch. That's where all of the features that apply to IT people will come into play. :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    Found this on the net

article-1246801-08103FD9000005DC-344_306x409.jpg
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When i go home if i am not studying or doing labs, i only use my laptop for chatting, internet, and movies.

With an iPad i can do all of the above and i dont have to be glued to my desk sitting stationary. I can take it with me i dont have to flip it open, turn it on , and worry about the battery dying within 2 to 3 hours. With 3G i can also have instant access to the internet, chatting, videos, etc. However we all know we will tether our iphones to the ipad right? icon_wink.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'm going to buy 20 of them and use them as digital picture frames. I'm also disappointed at the lack of tampon jokes thus far.

icon_razz.gif

Probably because the audience already knows there is a difference between tampons and pads ;)

Nevertheless...ipad...too expensive.

When these devices drop to $149 or even $99...then I'll be looking at them. For now, ipad (nook - which I found to be extremely disappointing) and kindle are too over priced for what one gets with them and their extra 'add-on's' (fees/services/price of eBooks) completely doesn't justify their initial cost.

I was a tad more interested until I was able to demo a nook a few weeks back...very, very disappointing.

I enjoy the weight/smell and feel of paper books with hard covers :)

Either give me the device and charge me for the eBooks...or I'll buy the device and all me to check them out like a library with an expiration date. For now...it's too much money.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    You asked for it and here it is, an iPad alternative. This device looks great and i enjoy the features, however it lacks many things the iPad has (see article). Check out the article and official website. It comes out at the end of Feb. I am still considering this device as they may make changes to it, but iPad has better features at the moment. however i love the webcam, full HD, battery life is good, usb port, speakers, mic, bluetooth,flash,java,1080p,12.1inch display, all that but no saving content on hard drive or disk /flash space icon_sad.gif

eh, im not so hyped about this anymore as it is not a true multitasking device. the HP slate looks promising.

https://thejoojoo.com/

JooJoo Tablet PC Promised by End of February - Yahoo! News
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's a more comprehensive comparison, if you're interested: Slate Showdown: iPad vs. HP Slate vs. JooJoo vs. Android Tablets & More (UPDATED) - Tablets - Gizmodo

I'd prefer one of the options with a real OS.
    sweet thanks for the link, that HP slate look nice!