CCNA:S on Tuesday any last minute suggestions

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am booked for tuesday. Any tips?

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SSL VPN's, I know. Not officially on the blue print... but I'll just say you should know them. Make sure you can setup ssl CLI by heart. And dont be afraid to review the softskills side, steps to an attack, legalese terms...
    -Daniel
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    SSL VPN's, I know. Not officially on the blue print... but I'll just say you should know them. Make sure you can setup ssl CLI by heart. And dont be afraid to review the softskills side, steps to an attack, legalese terms...

Really!!! I can do ipsec vpn pretty easily but ssl I have barely touched. Thanks for the tip. Now I am worried icon_redface.gif.

But I am off work today and monday so I guess it is lab lab icon_study.gificon_study.gif test review rinse and repeat.
  • worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck Dawg!!! ...not that you need it. I know from conversing with you on the forums in other vendor areas, you have been preparing for this exam for a good little bit. I am certain you will do just fine...I am shooting for the beginning of March myself.

After you nail this thing on Tuesday, what are you going to beat up on next?
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    SSL VPN, good to know - but for the exam using CLI??

Tips - I would say hit SDM hard. explore and play with it. Look at all security screens, vpn, c3pl, zones, firewall, vpn components, aaa etc. Turn on the preview command before submitting option to see what it is doing. A couple of hours should do it.

Look at switch security, port security, ssh, ip dhcp snooping, dynamic arp inspetion and what attacks they mitigate etc. As Daniel says, there is a lot of theory in the Cisco books, legalese etc. Woudln't hurt to spend five minutes reviewing that if there is time.

Then finally look at my study notesicon_wink.gif

Good luck,

Mike

EDIT : Sorry, just realised I mentioned most of the CCNA:S sylabus.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    Thanks guys. I will look into this for real.
    worldmac1 wrote: »
    Good luck Dawg!!! ...not that you need it. I know from conversing with you on the forums in other vendor areas, you have been preparing for this exam for a good little bit. I am certain you will do just fine...I am shooting for the beginning of March myself.

After you nail this thing on Tuesday, what are you going to beat up on next?

Hopefully Security+ and Linux+. But I have to get through CCNA:S first. icon_wink.gif
  • HypersonikHypersonik Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with your exam for tomorrow!!

Just been having a read and a nose about teh forum and speaking to a colleague.

Was going to look at BSCI, but with teh whole CCNP reshake, and advice from afore mentioned colleague, CCNA:S seems the way to go, especially as my current job involves periphery in ASA/guards.

Let us know how you get on :)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well I saw a weak area of mine and I did not like it. I am setting this back a week. Next Tuesday now.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Well I saw a weak area of mine and I did not like it. I am setting this back a week. Next Tuesday now.
    Anything we can you help you with?

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am in the same situation, some weaks areas:

IPS and Switching, I just need to review a little bit ssh and AAA.

I love IPSec.

Also, What about SAN, Fibre Channel, etc. Boson Simuaton exam touch it a little bit but Seft Test Software does not touch it?
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991

lmao you wimp!!! but seriously cant hurt to push it back another week, but dont put it off too long. There will always be something that you think your weak on. I'm sure you'll do well in this when you take it icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Anything we can you help you with?

Ipsec is ok. AAA/security is ok.IDS/IPS is tolerable. I need to work on the ios firewall (cli stuff). My legal side knowledge sucks. I also need to do some reviews on the more esoteric details of the technologies plus an extra week to lab can’t hurt.

impelse wrote: »
    I am in the same situation, some weaks areas:
    IPS and Switching, I just need to review a little bit ssh and AAA.
    I love IPSec.
    Also, What about SAN, Fibre Channel, etc. Boson Simuaton exam touch it a little bit but Seft Test Software does not touch it?

Isn't ipsec sexy? I really like vpns and I want to purchase the cisco vpn guide after this (because they are cool).

I am using transcender and I have had no test questions on San or Fiber Channel. By the way, when are you going to sit the exam.

lmao you wimp!!! but seriously cant hurt to push it back another week, but dont put it off too long. There will always be something that you think your weak on. I'm sure you'll do well in this when you take it icon_smile.gif

lol yea I am a chump but call it healthy apprehension. My employer isn't going to pay for anything and these test arent cheap, plus I want to take the max amount of knowledge from every cert I get (these next 6 months are gonna be interesting...stay tuned....)
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Ipsec is ok. AAA/security is ok.IDS/IPS is tolerable. I need to work on the ios firewall (cli stuff). My legal side knowledge sucks. I also need to do some reviews on the more esoteric details of the technologies plus an extra week to lab can’t hurt.

lol yea I am a chump but call it healthy apprehension. My employer isn't going to pay for anything and these test arent cheap, plus I want to take the max amount of knowledge from every cert I get (these next 6 months are gonna be interesting...stay tuned....)

Sounds like you have it covered. :) and getting the max knowledge is more important than getting the cert imo. And more so if your paying for them icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    Isn't ipsec sexy? I really like vpns and I want to purchase the cisco vpn guide after this (because they are cool).
    No it's noticon_sad.gif, I hate them. In my last job I was responsible for VPNs for the companies 120 pubs, each pub had two tunnels, one for head office data and another for EPOS support.

In the head office we had a decent Watchguard security device capable of supporting 1000+ tunnels. Only problem was, the work load of bringing up 250 tunnels simultaneously after rebooting the thing would give the Watchguard a pummeling, as a result it would take about 24 hours for all the tunnels to come up. Turning off PFS helped a bit.

Additionally in their infinite wisdom they decided to get dynamic WAN IP addresses on the remote ends to save a few pounds - so the tunnels could only be brought up remotelyicon_twisted.gif.

Eventually we replaced the Watchguard with a ZyXel box - cost about £1000. Fantastic device for the price, VPN were much more reliable.
    plus I want to take the max amount of knowledge from every cert I get (these next 6 months are gonna be interesting...stay tuned....)
    You are right, getting the most from the cert and future retention is so important.

• luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Bring your reading glasses... those SDM diagrams freakin are hard to see icon_sad.gif

Best of luck mate
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I didn't think there was even much covered in any of the study materials for SSL. IPSec, L2 Security, and IPS are the big ones.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    luke_bibby wrote: »
    Bring your reading glasses... those SDM diagrams freakin are hard to see icon_sad.gif

Best of luck mate

You can say that again!
    By the way, when are you going to sit the exam.

QUOTE]

Probably this Friday, I am wating my payment, I am paying everything myself, so for this reason I try to make sure that I will pass ($250 it's too much)

Best of luck mate
    Telling me. Way to small. I left Cisco a note on the SDM questions saying so. Not that it will make a difference.

mikem2te wrote: »
    No it's noticon_sad.gif, I hate them. In my last job I was responsible for VPNs for the companies 120 pubs, each pub had two tunnels, one for head office data and another for EPOS support.

In the head office we had a decent Watchguard security device capable of supporting 1000+ tunnels. Only problem was, the work load of bringing up 250 tunnels simultaneously after rebooting the thing would give the Watchguard a pummeling, as a result it would take about 24 hours for all the tunnels to come up. Turning off PFS helped a bit.

Additionally in their infinite wisdom they decided to get dynamic WAN IP addresses on the remote ends to save a few pounds - so the tunnels could only be brought up remotelyicon_twisted.gif.

Eventually we replaced the Watchguard with a ZyXel box - cost about £1000. Fantastic device for the price, VPN were much more reliable.

At work we have about 50-75 customers (probably 1000 vpn tunnels total) running off of an vpn 30XX concentrator. I understand your pain. Some of the sites aren't in the best of areas and we will lost visability to some sites. Rebooting tunnels in the concentrator is a regular thing for me.

Best of luck mate

Thanks
    Probably this Friday, I am wating my payment, I am paying everything myself, so for this reason I try to make sure that I will pass ($250 it's too much)

I feel you on that. Way to much to just take it lightly. Even though I didn't want to move it back, I felt like if I am not feeling 110% ready I shouldn't even mess with it. Not when it is $250.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lol yea I am a chump but call it healthy apprehension.
    Good Luck when you finally "man up" and take the exam icon_lol.gif

Actually, I think out of 28 (or maybe even more) Certification exam, I've only taken 5 when I've originally scheduled them. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    I already booked for Tuesday 9 at 10:00 a.m. too, we will see what happend.

I already booked for Tuesday 9 at 10:00 a.m. too, we will see what happend.

Cool man. Hopefully we will both come out with the CCNA:S (you should know before me since I am doing mine @ 1:00pm).
    You never know, I fail Security+ one time not because I did not know the material but becaus I did not read carefully the questions. Most ot the time I missed the question becasue I did not understanded it.

You never know, I fail Security+ one time not because I did not know the material but becaus I did not read carefully the questions. Most ot the time I missed the question becasue I did not understanded it.

Read carefully and you should be fine. BTW did you do the IDS labs?
  • GiddyGGiddyG Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Almost missed this... all the best for the exam! :)
    WIP:

CCENT; CCNA; CWSP; 70-680; CompTIA Stitchup+
    Yes, I did some IPS labs. Thanks

We are gearing up for some major snow here in the Midwest so I may not be able to take my test. Since my testing center is over 1 hour away (about 15 minutes from my job) it would be stupid of me to drive that far and find out it is closed. Hopefully the snow will hit after 1pm or it won't be that bad.....

At any rate if everything goes ok in about 16 hours I should be a CCNA:S and moving on to S+. Hopefully I can bring back a win!!! Tonight I am going to do some final labing, review some notes, and transcender then go to bed. Wish me luck!!!!
    We are gearing up for some major snow here in the Midwest so I may not be able to take my test. Since my testing center is over 1 hour away (about 15 minutes from my job) it would be stupid of me to drive that far and find out it is closed. Hopefully the snow will hit after 1pm or it won't be that bad.....

At any rate if everything goes ok in about 16 hours I should be a CCNA:S and moving on to S+. Hopefully I can bring back a win!!! Tonight I am going to do some final labing, review some notes, and transcender then go to bed. Wish me luck!!!!
    Oh no. I have every sympathy, the same thing happened to me ealier this year and I had to reschedule the exam.

Good luck if you do get to the test center.

Passed CCNA:S with a 844. It wasn't that bad. I had some really bad news come to me earlier today so I was a bit distracted. Next up Find a job icon_redface.gificon_sad.gif then S+ and Linux+