CISCO 2509 issue

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
HI,

I was wondering if any one in the CISCO experience had come across this problem.

I have a 2509 router (terminal server). I have never had it working, and i wondered if any one had experienced these problems

When I set it up I can get the opening connection up for each of the lines.

But then it just hangs and does nothing.

Now the strange thing is that if I boot up the device I am reversed telneted in to. I see the boot output on the terminal server. So i think it is simple that commands entered on the terminal server CLI are simple not sent on to the remote device.

I think this may be a octal cable issue, but I am not sure if i want to buy a new one untill I am sure. Any one have any ideas how to test an octal cable? or suggestions why this may not be working ?

I would really like to get it up and working before i start my CCNP, If any one knows where to get a good quality cheap OCTAL cable i would be intrested.

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    You can find just about anything cheap on ebay. For cables I typically go to monoprice.com. They are local and usually the cheapest solution, though I dont know whether they have any Octal cables. Check em out, see if so. I believe I got mine for ebay.

Edit: I did get mine from monoprice.com. 2 6 feet for 19.75 a piece. They are local so I did a pickup.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    any one seen this error on a debug of telent

r1#130.10.250.1 2001
    Trying 130.10.250.1, 2001 ... Open
    00:47:51: Telnet1: 1 1 251 1
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet sent WILL ECHO (1)
    00:47:51: Telnet1: 2 2 251 3
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet sent WILL SUPPRESS-GA (3)
    00:47:51: Telnet1: 80000 80000 253 24
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet sent DO TTY-TYPE (24)
    00:47:51: Telnet1: 10000000 10000000 253 31
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet sent DO WINDOW-SIZE (31)
    00:47:51: Telnet0: Sent SB NAWS 80 24
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet received DO ECHO (1)
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet received DO SUPPRESS-GA (3)
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet received WONT TTY-TYPE (24)
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet sent DONT TTY-TYPE (24)
    00:47:51: TCP1: Telnet received WILL WINDOW-SIZE (31)
    00:47:51: Telnet1: recv SB NAWS 80 24

Then it just hangs.

strangley i see the same exact thing if i try to do it to port 2002 (which has nothing conencted)

i jsut wish i coudl figure this out as I really want to get this 2509 up and running..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Does any on have a working config, for a 2509 cisco termainla server,

both for the terminal server and for the remote device?

I checked the cable and it is fine, and looking at the cisco sugested config that seem fine as well??

Does any one know it the differet IOS versions affect this?

Cheers
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    This is mine for my 2511

hostname varys
    !
    enable secret <beep!>
    enable password <beep!>
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    ip host r3 2007 10.0.55.3
    ip host r5 2009 10.0.55.3
    ip host bb3 2013 10.0.55.3
    ip host r6 2010 10.0.55.3
    ip host r4 2008 10.0.55.3
    ip host r2 2006 10.0.55.3
    ip host r1 2005 10.0.55.3
    ip host sw4 2004 10.0.55.3
    ip host sw3 2003 10.0.55.3
    ip host sw2 2002 10.0.55.3
    ip host sw1 2001 10.0.55.3
    ip host bb1 2011 10.0.55.3
    ip host core 2016 10.0.55.3
    ip host bb2 2012 10.0.55.3
    ip domain-name targaryen.local
    ip name-server 192.168.3.9
    interface Loopback0
    ip address 10.0.55.3 255.255.255.255
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 192.168.55.3 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Serial0
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    router ospf 1
    log-adjacency-changes
    redistribute connected subnets
    network 192.168.55.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
    !
    ip classless
    ip http server
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line 1 16
    no exec
    transport input all
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    password <beep!>
    login
    !
    end
    cheers do you knwo what IOS version you are running please?

I know this should not make any difference but i want to insue this is not the problem
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    varys#dir
    Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 8011320 <no date> /c2500-i-l.121-14.bin
    Post your config, maybe we can spot a problem you are not seeing. The config is pretty straightfoward, basically (as I'm sure you already know) you specify an IP address, specify static host statements based on the IP you specified and the port number (i.e. IP host R1 2001 1.1.1.1) where 20XX is the port number (20) followed by the cable number of the octal that is plugged into the router (01-16 in my case). Then to reach the device at that cable, you would enter the 2509 through it's console port and type telnet r1. That's it. Has this router ever worked in this capacity? It could be defective or damaged. Also, have you tried starting completely over with the config? I remember when I first got my 2511, it wouldnt work either, it kept dropping the connections. So I wiped and started completely over, brand new config. That worked.

Terminal#sh run
    Building configuration...
    Current configuration:
    !
    version 12.0
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    service tcp-small-servers
    !
    hostname Terminal
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$vJZI$GCw3ZhJPlUHVYVQEq5Ioa/
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    ip host R1 2001 10.20.20.1
    !
    !
    !
    interface Loopback1
    ip address 10.20.20.1 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 192.168.5.25 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    !
    interface Serial0
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial1
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line 1 8
    no exec
    transport input telnet
    line aux 0
    transport input all
    line vty 0 4
    no login
    !
    end

I think it may well be the 2509 its self! dam it I been trying to get hold of the company who sold it to me but they never respond. And I cant really afford a second one...
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you connect a cable to Ethernet0 and try telnetting the old fashioned way?
    ?

telneting to the terminal server?

i can connect to both devices through ethernet or console port

and I have tried both reverse telnetting when logged on to the 2509, and from my pc by

telnet 192.168.5.25 2001

nither work, they both seem to open the connection but then the terminal server will not forward any keypresses to the remote device

as i mentioned before I can setill see the boot process of the remote device, or any consol messages. I jsut dont seem to be able to send commands from 2509 to remote device.
    on the back of a 2509 there is a light next to the Async port. should this be on or of when a device is connected?

or dos it jsut show data flow?
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I meant connect a device to the ethernet0 port and see if you can at least telnet to the device.

Also, have you tried the other console cables in the octal cable? Not sure how many devices you have to test with.
    yes connecting to device is fine through e0

as for cable I dont have a spare, however I have checked the pins with volt meter and they are correctly linked.

I wish i did have a spare cable as I dont want to have to purchase one and find out it is the 2509
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Terminal#sh run
    Building configuration...
    Current configuration:
    !
    version 12.0
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    service tcp-small-servers
    !
    hostname Terminal
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$vJZI$GCw3ZhJPlUHVYVQEq5Ioa/
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    ip host R1 2001 10.20.20.1
    !
    !
    !
    interface Loopback1
    ip address 10.20.20.1 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 192.168.5.25 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    !
    interface Serial0
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial1
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line 1 8
    no exec
    transport input telnet
    line aux 0
    transport input all
    line vty 0 4
    no login
    !
    end

I think it may well be the 2509 its self! dam it I been trying to get hold of the company who sold it to me but they never respond. And I cant really afford a second one...

From your configuration above, your async lines are not configured.

try something like this:

ip host H1 2001 10.20.20.1
    ip host H2 2002 10.20.20.1
    ip host H3 2003 10.20.20.1
    ip host H4 2004 10.20.20.1
    ip host H5 2005 10.20.20.1
    ip host H6 2006 10.20.20.1
    ip host H7 2007 10.20.20.1
    ip host H8 2008 10.20.20.1

Substitute your device name for H1-8 and when you want to connect use:
    telnet {device name}

This should bring you up and running.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    Setting up the IP host part is not nessery to get it to work, just makes connectiong to the end devices eaiser.

it's like setting up a static DNS entry on a DNS server. you could simple type the ip address and port number on the commandI line to connect to the async lines.

all ip host r1 <name> <port> <ipaddress> does it make an alise for r1 to the ipaddress and port number of the first async line to save typing it out each time you want to connect.

I have only set up one because I am only testing.
    At this point it seems like it's either a faulty cable or device. Selective interchange would determine whether it's the cable, or the device. If its not the cable, by way of elimination I would say its pretty safe to say it's the device. You've got to get another octal cable. Check monoprice or somewhere else's return policy.

Any one know a good UK company?

trouble is the postage cost from the US sites are as much as the cables....

and the two I know of i don't want to go back to! not had good service so far with used ciscco kit icon_sad.gif
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    I can't remember if we had the same issue when I first configured my 2511 but when I issued autohangup under line 1-16 it started to work. HTH!
    does any one have the config they have under ther lines and console port (I assuming the Aux port has no impact on this)

also what setting do you have on the console port on the end device ?

Cheers
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    Here's mine.
    line con 0
     login local
    line 1 16
     transport input telnet
     autohangup
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
     login local

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is all I ever need on my 2509 and 2511 routers for the line config
    line 1 8
    no exec
    transport input all

Console port on the remote routers/switches is just my standard lab console port config -- nothing special. I don't timeout the connection. I repaint the command line after the router spits out log messages. And I may go directly into enable mode....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    ok tried two cables and various configs (including the one you posted a few times)

seems like a faulty 2509 then icon_sad.gif well the guys who sold it to me finaly replied so hope they will swap it out. Really could do with this at the moment....
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    seems like a faulty 2509
    If your remote routers work when you attach a console cable to them directly from a PC (with the standard console port connection config) and you can see the remote router boot sequence via the reverse telnet from the 2509 but it isn't sending your keystrokes to the terminal session, then it's probably a 2509 hardware issue or 2509 IOS version/bug issue.

What IOS are your running? Have you tried another IOS version image? Is this a standard Cisco 2509 -- or a whiteish CPA 2509?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    tried about 3 or 4 ios versions.

a few version 11 and a few 12.0 (only has 8meg flash)

all give identical results.

seems more an more like a hardware issue, espialy now I have managed to get hold of a tested octal cable to test with. Lets hope I can get them to replace it soon.

Cheers for all the help guys.
    Finaly!!! after months now of this, backwards and forwards with the company who i got it from, trying different configs, and cables. They finly sent me a replacment 2509 to try..

Bingo 30seconds later (ok maybe 3 min it needed to boot) all working perfectly and consolling to devices like it was born to do..

Ok so the company may have taken time to sort it out but never mind, still hats of to them that they have replaced it.

But now finaly I can put my lab together in one piece and have decent access from home. I was getting a bit worred as I want to start my ROUTE soon and I know I will need a good lab set up for that.

Cheers for all the help guys.