CCNA Scheduled - Feb 3rd @ 2PM

Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
I'm ready to take this beast down. I feel solid on all of my concepts and I'm so bored of practice questions (did anyone else use Transcender?).

Any recommendations (non-NDA violating ones of course)? This will be the ICND2 exam, as I don't have extensive experience with Cisco products, I chose the two exam route.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Agent,

The best thing that I can recommend is to go through and lab everything out. Lab ACLs, VLAN configuration, STP, NAT (all forms), lab out all the different routing protocols (RIPv1, RIPv2, EIGRP, OSPF), lab basically anything and everything you can. That way you are prepared for the "sim" portions of your exam. IF you cover everything that you can think of then you shouldn't be caught off guard when it comes time to taking the exam. I would go through and lab these before your exam. Remember, don't cram your brain before the exam, it will not help you. When you go into the testing center, just remain calm, read each question, read the answers, then re-read the question, and then select the correct answers. What percentages have you been scoring on the practice exams?
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Transcender: 85-high 90%
    Boson: Low to high 80's

I'm feeling good on NAT with static, dynamic, and overloading-which is probably the most confusing of all syntax related questions this exam will throw at me.

ACLs came second nature after they reminded me of IPsec policies from my MCSE studies.

I'll definitely review a bit on a few items I should have memorized for OSPF LSAs, EIGRP topology tables, equal and unequal load balancing with EIGRP. I feel pretty strong in the switching area as it pertains to pvstp and rstp.
    986/1000

I had a much easier time with this exam as opposed to the ICND1.

Materials:
    CBT Nuggets
    Train Signal
    Cisco Press ICND2
    Todd Lammle 802 CCNA Sybex.

I figure instead of venturing into CCNP material that I may as well wait until June. However, I don't get to work with Cisco equipment very often outside of my home lab. I'm worried about progressing into CCNP with no real world experience to stand on.

What do you all think?
    1. Go for it, theory can't hurt and experience will only reinforce what you already know at that point.
    2. Wait it out until I find another job, as having tons of certifications with little to no real world experience can hurt on a resume.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Agent6376 wrote: »
    What do you all think?
    1. Go for it, theory can't hurt and experience will only reinforce what you already know at that point.
    2. Wait it out until I find another job, as having tons of certifications with little to no real world experience can hurt on a resume.

Both, you don't have to list certs on your resume.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Has anyone done the CCNA: Wireless exam? I can't find many study resources on it. I see the Cisco Press book, but I'm seeing some pretty negative reviews. I usually combine a few resources when studying for an exam, and I'd like to get the Cisco Press books as well as some other tools.

If any has any extra info on some good study materials, let me know.

Thanks!
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Theres a good book out there called Cisco network professionals Advanced internetworking guide. Im going through it at the moment. It is kind of like a CCNP prep and covers abit of everything from the CCNP. I highly recommend it. I wont be seriously going for the CCNP exams for a while either as i dont have any real world exp.

One of the reviews on amazon says that if you have a CCNA, this book is your next step. Check it out.

Amazon.com: Cisco Network Professional's Advanced Internetworking Guide (9780470383605): Patrick J. Conlan: Books
    mella060 wrote: »
    Theres a good book out there called Cisco network professionals Advanced internetworking guide. Im going through it at the moment. It is kind of like a CCNP prep and covers abit of everything from the CCNP. I highly recommend it. I wont be seriously going for the CCNP exams for a while either as i dont have any real world exp.

One of the reviews on amazon says that if you have a CCNA, this book is your next step. Check it out.

Amazon.com: Cisco Network Professional's Advanced Internetworking Guide (9780470383605): Patrick J. Conlan: Books

Great suggestion! I have this ordered, the Cisco Press Wireless guide, and Network Warrior, by Gary Donahue (this has gotten some very good reviews).

I figure I'll start scratching the surface of CCNP while knocking out the Wireless exam and getting some non-cisco oriented network administration documentation in the mix.
  • mulcahydmulcahyd Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been studying the concepts of vlsm and subnetting. I know how to do these now. Also went. Over the lab types such rip, frame relay and implement router. Overall I have been studying for couple months.I have been doing practice questions and gone over many different exam questions from practice test.
  • mulcahydmulcahyd Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The exam that im takibg is 640-822.
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Agent6376 wrote: »
    986/1000

I had a much easier time with this exam as opposed to the ICND1.

Materials:
    CBT Nuggets
    Train Signal
    Cisco Press ICND2
    Todd Lammle 802 CCNA Sybex.

I figure instead of venturing into CCNP material that I may as well wait until June. However, I don't get to work with Cisco equipment very often outside of my home lab. I'm worried about progressing into CCNP with no real world experience to stand on.

What do you all think?
    Why would this ever hurt you?
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hex_omega wrote: »

It could make you look over qualified for entry level positions and upper-level positions generally aren't given to those without experience. Other than that, listing a ton of certs on your resume with little experience might give some the impression that they weren't obtain legitimately.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hex_omega wrote: »
    Because a lot of people without any IT job experience who **** their CCNA and can't find a job, turn around and then believe they couldn't get a job because they didn't have the CCNP -- rather than their lack of knowledge and skill. They then **** the CCNP.

A CCNP with no experience (unless they are at a University and are graduating soon and going the the University recruiting process) is usually a waste of time to interview.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!