passed QoS

Scored 988. Results sheet showed 100% for all domains except Congestion Avoidance, which was 90%, so I guess I missed a question involving WRED.

My goal was to pass it by Jan. 31, so I'm a few days late, though I attribute that to bad scheduling on my part.... I didn't pay attention to the fact that the 31st was in the middle of a work week, So I finished the week and took a day to review before I went and took it today.

Very easy exam, but I think that has more to do with the fact that much of the material was just a refresh from ONT, only sections I really had to do any study for were shaping and policing, and the catalyst qos considerations.

Like everyone else who's read it and taken this exam, I'll say the Odom book was wonderful, it provides more than adequate coverage, and the writing style made it not boring. I also listened to the QoS CBT Nuggets at work over the weekend just to try and keep it fresh in my mind, and I'm glad I did. I was able to answer two questions on the exam immediately because of a few things Jeremy said, instead of having to sit and think through them.

On to BGP!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations, and good luck with BGP!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with BGP!
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Congrats! I thought it was one of the easier Cisco exams, I didn't score as high as you, but I think I was close.

Good luck with BGP. I'm hoping to take it next week, not sure if I'm ready or not... but work's paying for two attempts, lol.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    Congrats! I thought it was one of the easier Cisco exams, I didn't score as high as you, but I think I was close.

Good luck with BGP. I'm hoping to take it next week, not sure if I'm ready or not... but work's paying for two attempts, lol.

Yeah, QoS is just easy in concept, it either works, or it doesn't, you don't see alot of the strangeness you would with other stuff, like routing or spanning tree. The cohesiveness of the MQC format also makes it very simple to grasp, reading class and policy maps are like reading psuedo code.

I've got three months slotted for BGP (my 'take this exam by' date is 4/30), but hopefully it won't take that long. I work in a BGP heavy environment, so dealing with it is an everyday thing. Hopefully I can get quick turn around on it to give me even more time for MPLS, but it takes as long as it takes.
    Yeah, QoS is just easy in concept, it either works, or it doesn't, you don't see alot of the strangeness you would with other stuff, like routing or spanning tree.

Really? I never got that impression with QoS, mainly because of things like this: Cisco IOS hints and tricks: CB-WFQ misconceptions
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Yeah, QoS is just easy in concept, it either works, or it doesn't, you don't see alot of the strangeness you would with other stuff, like routing or spanning tree. The cohesiveness of the MQC format also makes it very simple to grasp, reading class and policy maps are like reading psuedo code.

I've got three months slotted for BGP (my 'take this exam by' date is 4/30), but hopefully it won't take that long. I work in a BGP heavy environment, so dealing with it is an everyday thing. Hopefully I can get quick turn around on it to give me even more time for MPLS, but it takes as long as it takes.

I was scared of it before digging into ONT, now it's one of my favorite technologies and I love it. I'm not sure I'd call it easy, but I think once it "clicks", it becomes much easier.

If you want to bounce around about BGP, let me know. I've been labbing the **** out of it and studying as much as I can. I feel pretty ready, but who knows.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Really? I never got that impression with QoS, mainly because of things like this: Cisco IOS hints and tricks: CB-WFQ misconceptions

Hrm, interesting. I never ran into CBWFQ treating class-default like a red headed step child, though I guess that's not surprising, since I'm running an image with the HFQ enhancements on the router I did my labbing on.

Thank you for the link, I didn't even realize Ivan had a blog, and just looking over it for a few minutes, I already see a few more interesting articles.
    Thank you for the link, I didn't even realize Ivan had a blog, and just looking over it for a few minutes, I already see a few more interesting articles.

Sure, he posts some pretty good stuff.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I was on the fence about this being on my radar (before CCDA), but decided against it. Glad to hear it wasn't too brutal. Good luck with BGP :)