Retired certifications on your resume?

DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
What's everyones thoughts on this? I know several people who have MCSEs in NT4.0 or CCNAs from years ago, who put on their resume just MCSE and CCNA.

I have MCP 70-210, while i'm sure it will be retired soon (anyone know when?) I would like to keep it on my resume. Just as First name, last name, MCP

Thoughts?
Thanks

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    70-210 nor MCSE NT 4 will retire. MS certifications do not retire or expire. The procuct itself won't be supported eventually, but the certification is valid for life. I.e. when you are MCSE on Windows 2000 you will be an MCSE 2000, regardless whether the current windows version is 2003 or 3002.

Those people should not list their CCNA on their resume unless they clearly state it is expired.
  • DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On my resume I list that I am an MCSE on NT 4.0. I also list that I am an MCP on Windows 2000 and what exams, I have completed.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just basically only show certifications on my resume. After all, if you have for example MCSE and CNE look at how many tests you will have on your resume.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the MCSE and CCEA, I would only list MCSE on NT 4.0 and CCEA on MetaFrame XP. For the MCP on 2000, I list 2000 Pro, 2000 Server, Implementing & Supporting Active Directory, Designing and Active Directory Structure. I want them to know that I have completed more than just 2000 Pro.

Although that can backfire for me, because anyone that knows the exam requirements, will realize that i'm just putting 216 off.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'll need to find a link, but I thought that the proper way to list a MS Certification was only by the title and not to 'ADD' whatever test it is include.

Example:

I have 210 & 215 completed, but according to the guidelines, I am only permitted to list 1 - MCP. When the day comes that I finally complete my 218 test (and because I have my Comptia certs), I would be able to list MCSA, but not MCSA W2K or the like.

THere isn't any reason, from what I recall to list MCP and MCSA and MCSE. If one holds an MCSE, it is recognized that they will also hold an MCP and MCSA.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You should indeed not include the exam nr or title, but if certified for different versions you should list the certifcation for each version, at least on your resume you should. You can also used a format similar to on your MS transcript, ie. 'MCSE for Windows 2000 and Windows 2003' and list the exams separately. If you're an MCSE, the electives you choose can make all the difference. Even after the Windows 200x exams retire, the cert itself does not expire, and if you upgrade to 200y, you should definitely list both as there will always be mixed environments.
    Plantwiz wrote:
    THere isn't any reason, from what I recall to list MCP and MCSA and MCSE. If one holds an MCSE, it is recognized that they will also hold an MCP and MCSA.
    MCP and MCSA or MCP and MCSE is indeed redundant, but not every MCSE is an MCSA. Not everyone chooses 70-218 as an elective for the MCSE track, though it has become a very popular option just to get both MCSA and MCSE. Those that hold both MCSA and MCSE should list them even if it was only because others do it to. Again, at least for a resume. On a business card for example, just MCSE looks better than MCSA, MCSE imho.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Webmaster wrote:
    MCP and MCSA or MCP and MCSE is indeed redundant, but not every MCSE is an MCSA. Not everyone chooses 70-218 as an elective for the MCSE track, though it has become a very popular option just to get both MCSA and MCSE.

You are absolutely correct, and I failed to make that distinction. Thank you for pointing that out!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?