Options

Jobs in Sydney

kingpeterkingpeter Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I wonder whether anyone can help me here. One of my mates has just flown out to Australia (Sydney) for 2 years and his currently looking for work.

I had a chat with him the other day and he's finding it a bit tough as the recruitment agencies don't seem to be too helpful.

Can any of you recommend any agencies in particular?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Well the IT job market in AU is good, Sydney in particular.
    I've worked in Sydney, Melbourne and Just got a new contract in Brisbane last week.

If he has enough experience and the correct VISA, I can't see why he is having any issues.

Maybe he should look at making some changes to his cover letter or CV?

SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site is the main site I've use.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Most companies require you to be a permanent resident to be eligible for work. Or atleast some kind of visa that permits unrestricted work, indefinitely, something like a spouse visa. If you only have a holiday visa, it will be hard finding IT work here.

Things work differently here in Australia, very few companies would actually sponsor you for a permanent visa. They need you to have a permanent visa before they hire you.

The market is getting better, there are jobs about. seek.com.au is the way to go, like the previous poster suggested.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    job market is pretty flooded here but as Essendon said, its getting better
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just curious, how would you go about getting a permanent visa if there aren't companies that sponsor you?
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    dynamik wrote: »
    Just curious, how would you go about getting a permanent visa if there aren't companies that sponsor you?

for those working in IT its a ball ache, you have to initially go through the ACS (Australian Computer Society) they asses your skills (12 week processing time) and assuming you meet the criteria that matches the current skills in demand. They then assign you a code to that effect.
    You then apply to the oz immigration dept for a perm visa. Assuming you meet the points\skills in demand (obviously you would check all this before starting out) your application is processed and the visa granted. Processing times about 6-12months.

Thats a VERY simplistic overview obviously. As an example they currently have Network\Security on the skills in demand, but they do not recognise Cisco certifications !

PS there are companies that will\do sponsor people just not in IT roles.(or least very rarely)
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

msg me later i know the whole routine :0