INE Lab Topology

SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
Hey guys, hopefully those of you that are designing your lab networks to mirror the INE lab workbooks can help me out here. I am pretty much done purchasing hardware, with the exception of some memory, which is minor. All of my major purchases are complete. So I'm looking at the configs for the Backbone routers (BB1, BB2, and BB3) and I'm noticing that BB1 has frame relay configurations. So am I incorrect in my assumption that BB1 is a seperate router or is BB1 also the FRS device? It's a little confusing.
In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It may depend on the workbook and initial configs, but sure, sometimes BB1 also pulls double duty sometimes as the frame relay switch -- as long as it has the serial ports.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    current workbook of the day, they change often it seens to keep up has a 2522 as bb1/fr. almost as popular as 2511's on ebay

you might want to print this page ....

CCIE Lab Preparation Resources
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I actually wondered the same thing, and I emailed Brian McGahan about it. What threw me was that the topology diagram had BB1 connecting back into the frame relay cloud... except that it *was* the frame relay cloud.

Once I saw the config for BB1, it made sense. The first 5 serial ports are the 'Frame Relay' switch part of it and should be considered seperately from it functioning as a router with multiple PVC's to R6, as well as another connection to BB3 for route injection
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Did you use 1841's? or something else?
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Shadow, i've seen that, a version of it also comes with the workbook I. Whats confusing is like Forsaken says, it looks like it is supposed to be two seperate routers, and then when you look at the config, it's not. BB1 is the frame relay cloud. So I think I get it, but I may have to email Brian as well, to get a little more clarification as to how I should do this then. Because I have a 3600 setup as FRS with 8 serial ports and a 2610 setup as BB1 with 2 serial ports, as the topology chart says it should be (not that exact hardware, but the devices and number of serial ports). So why is there is a config for just frame relay and one for just BB1? It's just a bit confusing. So forsaken, how'd you hook it up then, could I use my 3620 with the 8 ports as the FRS device, or do I need more than 8 ports like it seems? I certainly dont want to buy anymore devices, especially a 200 2522. Seems like everytime I think i'm done, I need something else that I didnt anticipate. Anyway, Jason I just used 3 2610s as the BBs. I figured since I never had any 2500s, 2600s should be good to go. I have a 2511, but that's being used as terminal server only. Other than that, everything else is 2600 or 3600. I'll post my top in my "starting my lab studies" thread soon. Not officially started just yet ;)

The thing to remember about BB1 and the Frame Relay Switch is that they're physically one device, but logically, they're two.

I'm using a 2620 with an NM-8A/S in this role. My first six connections (2 of them are going to R3) are to R1 through R5, and they're setup to do frame relay switching. The seventh connection is going to R6 for the multiple pvc's, and the eighth connection is going to BB3.

The config Brian pointed me to -

http://www.ine.com/downloads/bb1.txt

Works perfectly for this, I just had to modify the interface names to fit with my hardware
    The thing to remember about BB1 and the Frame Relay Switch is that they're physically one device, but logically, they're two.

I'm using a 2620 with an NM-8A/S in this role. My first six connections (2 of them are going to R3) are to R1 through R5, and they're setup to do frame relay switching. The seventh connection is going to R6 for the multiple pvc's, and the eighth connection is going to BB3.

The config Brian pointed me to -

http://www.ine.com/downloads/bb1.txt

Works perfectly for this, I just had to modify the interface names to fit with my hardware

You're the man, thanks. That's the config I had. So I can get rid of the second BB1 that i have, since it's unneccesary. I have an extra WIC-2T, Which is fine, but I just bought 3 of them, when I only really needed 2. I need some memory, so maybe I'll just sell one of the WIC-2Ts and use whatever I make off that.

The topology really should explain that better, that BB1 is actually logically two seperate devices.

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry I did not explain better but Forsaken has given you the answer. I guess I never thought about it being confusing when you look at the config charts at the bottom of the page. BB1 is the only device capable of a cloud that size and the physical hardware does not include an extra router. They used to have a 3640 at one time doing frame and terminal services besides routing when they would advise people on lab equipment.

Playing with Juniper too much lately and a little mind warp occurs. Just what I need more brain ticks. Sorry again I will try to do better next time. I don't know about selling off the WIC-2T, they can be difficult to find at times on ebay. I have had bad luck in the past with them getting flaky when moving cables. However INE says you will never need to re-cable with their labs.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Sorry I did not explain better but Forsaken has given you the answer. I guess I never thought about it being confusing when you look at the config charts at the bottom of the page. BB1 is the only device capable of a cloud that size and the physical hardware does not include an extra router. They used to have a 3640 at one time doing frame and terminal services besides routing when they would advise people on lab equipment.

Yeah, it threw me because I haven't actually bought any of their books yet, so all I had to go on was the diagram on the web page. As soon as I saw the config for BB1, it all made perfect sense. I actually asked McGahan if the cloud diagram was a typo and BB1 should have been BB2 instead hehe
    TheShadow wrote: »

Playing with Juniper too much lately and a little mind warp occurs. Just what I need more brain ticks. Sorry again I will try to do better next time. I don't know about selling off the WIC-2T, they can be difficult to find at times on ebay. I have had bad luck in the past with them getting flaky when moving cables. However INE says you will never need to re-cable with their labs.

No worries brother, I appreciate the input. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, maybe i'll just keep the 2T and use it as needed. I already paid for it, and I may need it for something.