Question on 3550-24-SMI

tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am finishing my CCNA Routing and Switching, and looking at voice next. I have a 3550-24-SMI switch, which I can upgrade to for a good price is this worth while? or just get a 3524 with power?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    tazdevil wrote: »
    I am finishing my CCNA Routing and Switching, and looking at voice next. I have a 3550-24-SMI switch, which I can upgrade to for a good price is this worth while? or just get a 3524 with power?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    No need for PoE switches for voice stuff. There's only one or two commands anyway.

I used standard cisco power bricks and power injectors to power my phones. I used PW130 injectors - they work very well. I can't remember the part number of the cisco power bricks.

You need to watch the poe standards though, there's "Pre standard" which is Cisco proprietary and IEEE 802.3af standard power. Most if not all cisco phones support pre standard but only the latest cisco phones support 802.3af and the two standards are not compatible with each other. The 3550 and 3524 are pre standard power.

I did need to build custom cables to power my 7941s with the PW130 as the 7941 do not support 802.3af.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent.. I can save some bucks..

I have ordered a couple of 7940G and 7960G for my home lab so the cisco phone power cubes should be fine then for what I need.

another quick question, I have a pair of 2650XM's on their way, how many 2FXO and 2FXS's should I get? one for each or is that over kill?

also I have a bunch of T1 CSU/DSU WIC's, can I use those for the T1 connection?

Appreciate the help and advice..
    Excellent.. I can save some bucks..

I have ordered a couple of 7940G and 7960G for my home lab so the cisco phone power cubes should be fine then for what I need.

another quick question, I have a pair of 2650XM's on their way, how many 2FXO and 2FXS's should I get? one for each or is that over kill?

also I have a bunch of T1 CSU/DSU WIC's, can I use those for the T1 connection?

Appreciate the help and advice..
    The 2600XM range need a network module before you can slot FXO and FXS cards in. The built in WIC (WAN Interface) slots will not accept them.

I used a NM-2V (google it if you not sure what it is), it slots in the network module slot on the router and provides 2 slots capable of accepting VIC (Voice interface) cards. It also provides the DSPs to convert the analogue voice into digital signals.

You can get away without any fxo fxs ports but personally I'd recommend getting them.

If possible get a 2fxo and a 2fxs and put one in one of the routers and the other card in the other router (you'd need 2 network modules though). You could then connect the fxo ports in router A to the fxs ports in router B, in effect one of the routers would then be acting as a PSTN telco, allows you to test dial plans etc without actually calling anyone (like the police) which is not unknown considering the 9 for outside line convention.

T1/E1 cards are another issue, a WIC csu T1 can only act as a WAN card not a Voice card, you would need to look for a VWIC card which can act as both a voice and WAN card. Somthing like a VWIC-1MFT-T1. Also these need a network module to use them but the cheap NM-2V won't cut it for them.

Not sure of what you'd need to run T1 of the top of my head on the 2600XM, I think it is a NM-HDV or an AIM-VOICE-30.

• tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have 2xNM-2V's on order, and I was looking at 2x2fxo (connect to my incoming house lines) and 2x2fxs to connection analog phones/fax machine to, but if I only need 1 of each, than that would also save some bucks...
    I have 2xNM-2V's on order, and I was looking at 2x2fxo (connect to my incoming house lines) and 2x2fxs to connection analog phones/fax machine to, but if I only need 1 of each, than that would also save some bucks...
    I just try to do things as cheap as possible. 2 of each does give a little bit more versatility.