Ccie r&s rack

vertexvertex Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need some help picking out equipment. I cant find anything that lists out what routers need X type of interfaces..

I currently have

3 (1841)
1 3750 24 port
1 3750 48 port
2 me3400 switches
16 port cyclades term server.

I have access to 1811's but i am not sure if i can use them in my lab.

Any equipment list/diagram or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I based my lab on the INE topology, here's a link:

CCIE Lab Preparation Resources
  • vertexvertex Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thing is they dont break down what type of interfaces are needed per device. I am trying to find alternative equipment at a cheaper price. I have already spent enough of what I currently have.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    vertex wrote: »
    The thing is they dont break down what type of interfaces are needed per device. I am trying to find alternative equipment at a cheaper price. I have already spent enough of what I currently have.

Huh? It says right on the page Mrock linked to which interfaces they're using for each router.
    vertex wrote: »

Look at the WAN topology where all the serial interfaces are. Look at R1..see there's S0/0, and S0/1? Two wan interfaces. Look at the chart above that..it shows "2 WIC-1T" for R1..repeat this for all of the other routers.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Look at the WAN topology where all the serial interfaces are. Look at R1..see there's S0/0, and S0/1? Two wan interfaces. Look at the chart above that..it shows "2 WIC-1T" for R1..repeat this for all of the other routers.

You also have to do a little bit of extrapolation based on the internal interfaces that each hardware type has. Ie, I know a 2611xm has two fast ethernet interfaces, so any router I put in that position is going to need that, in addition to the 4 serial interfaces it specifies with an NM-4A/S
    You also have to do a little bit of extrapolation based on the internal interfaces that each hardware type has. Ie, I know a 2611xm has two fast ethernet interfaces, so any router I put in that position is going to need that, in addition to the 4 serial interfaces it specifies with an NM-4A/S

You're right..although that seems kind of like a given, as you're picking an alternative.
    You're right..although that seems kind of like a given, as you're picking an alternative.

Well, sure, but some folks aren't quite as in depth with the hardware knowledge. And there's more to it than that, you need to keep in mind what the platform is capable of. I mean, I could replace the 1841 recommendations with more 2611XM's and technically be able to get the correct number of interfaces. But I wouldn't be able to do MPLS anymore, not and use the recommended IOS versions anyway.

And at the risk of sounding like an elitist prick, I'm of the opinion that if you're not capable of researching the alternatives for hardware solutions for your CCIE rack, you probably shouldn't be building a CCIE rack
    And at the risk of sounding like an elitist prick, I'm of the opinion that if you're not capable of researching the alternatives for hardware solutions for your CCIE rack, you probably shouldn't be building a CCIE rack

I wholeheartedly agree, although everyone starts somewhere..certainly he/she may have the capability to become a CCIE, but may just need to get their feet wet.

To throw a little extra consideration in there, and a slight afterthought against myself, with the growing numbers of dynamips users, a lot of people aren't getting the experience with real hardware they used to- and as a result, probably have a harder time grasping things like taking the interfaces that come with a platform + installed modules, in order to set their labs up..
    To throw a little extra consideration in there, and a slight afterthought against myself, with the growing numbers of dynamips users, a lot of people aren't getting the experience with real hardware they used to- and as a result, probably have a harder time grasping things like taking the interfaces that come with a platform + installed modules, in order to set their labs up..

Well, I'm not a fan of dynamips in general, but that topic seems to carry the weight of jihad in the cisco certification world, so I try to stay out of it. I do think dynamips is useful for testing proof of concept, but I'm with you in that I feel you lose something if that's all you train on.

It's all a matter of perspective though. I certainly understand the fact that laying hands on the iron is simply not a cost effective solution for some, especially those who are taking the economic downturn as an opportunity to change careers.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    oh &deity another infidel :) actually Cisco seems to be very wishy washy about it now. The V4 lab is all virtual and now they are supposedly considering Vue deluxe testing centers to proctor the lab (can that really be true?) . Some might not touch real iron until their first real networking gig. Now thats scary. But what do I know I'm just an ancient relic of a bygone era like old cowboys and old soldiers.

Just bury me face down nine edge first clutching my console cable and RFC 854
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TheShadow wrote: »
    The V4 lab is all virtual
    Um, no it isn't -- just the troubleshooting.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Well, I'm not a fan of dynamips in general, but that topic seems to carry the weight of jihad in the cisco certification world, so I try to stay out of it. I do think dynamips is useful for testing proof of concept, but I'm with you in that I feel you lose something if that's all you train on.

It's all a matter of perspective though. I certainly understand the fact that laying hands on the iron is simply not a cost effective solution for some, especially those who are taking the economic downturn as an opportunity to change careers.

I am of the same opinion, although I do think everyone has to start somewhere you elitist prick :) Seriously though, that's why I went the whole hog and did the CCIE lab with real hardware. For the CCNP I used a bit of GNS3 for the BSCI for example, but I really liked the feel of actual hardware and it helped to learn more about the modules, WICs and models of hardware and what they were capable of along the way.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    I am of the same opinion, although I do think everyone has to start somewhere you elitist prick :) Seriously though, that's why I went the whole hog and did the CCIE lab with real hardware. For the CCNP I used a bit of GNS3 for the BSCI for example, but I really liked the feel of actual hardware and it helped to learn more about the modules, WICs and models of hardware and what they were capable of along the way.

Oh sure, everyone has to start somewhere, but there are at least two threads on the first page of this forum detailing equipment used to build INE's topology. So the OP obviously didn't research too hard!

I may be being a bit hard though. It may be easier to say 'ask google before you ask the forum', but google often returns answers to questions that folks asked on a forum first, and if nobody did that, then google wouldn't have any answers to return!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Um, no it isn't -- just the troubleshooting.

well thank goodness for that. Still some sanity left.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO