ONT Scheduled (Feb 9th, 2010 1pm)

qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
Time to take this one down ;) after that I have 4 months to complete BCMSN and ISCW.
If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
you intend to get across, then it is not focused
well enough.
—Charles Osgood, TV commentator

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck! Four months will be tight for two exams, but with the right motivation I'm sure you can knock them out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    4 months you can do it. I did the BCMSN in 2 months. I'm not sure about ISCW though. How long did it take you to pass the BSCI?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I'm already in the review/lab phase of BCMSN(self-study), I'm also in the academy, it'll help to keep things fresh. I can stretch BCMSN all the way to May if I don't feel like I can pass in one shot. I will still try to shoot for March though.

I haven't touched ISCW yet, I'll take a serious crack at it after I take ONT this coming tuesday. I've been pounding the books since I finishe BSCI last Dec. It took me a while to do BSCI because of 2 jobs, school and family.

I feel very confident with ONT, I'm also paying the wireless section some good attention. I hear a lot of people get hit with a left hook with it ;)

My complete date is set for June since I originally thought the exams will expire on that month. July will be a buffer in case I hit a road bump.
    well enough.
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Knock that ish out, make it tap ;)
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    Knock that ish out, make it tap ;)

True words of a marine...

Me, personally, I don't buy into that whole hoorah thing......

hooah ;)
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    dont panic on ONT i did it yesterday (passed 866 score!) and after two weeks intensive cramming of the book, train signal and nuggets was able to pass (by comparison i'll be doing BSCI next week after 6 months of books vids and labs) its almost like a ccna exam.

cant say much more without breaking the NDA but look at the "key topics" in the official book and it will help alot
    transcender is kicking my ass on the wireless section...exam is tomorrow..i have only todya to review...any suggestions?
    well enough.
    wow....am I the only person not using p$s? seems like everyone I know (except here?) is using it as "final review"...is there something wrong with me/us? or are we the last honest group/forum?
    well enough.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I do not encourage ****, but, Well there is a lot of people that dont like it here, ive heard and seen many honest and trust worthy engineers use it as well as a final prep. Without getting to that debate and destroying this thread, i believe it all comes down to how you perform at the Job.

In other words, "it doesn't matter how you get to the playoffs, all that matters is that your there and how you perform."

go Lakers! icon_smile.gif jijiji
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chrisone wrote: »
    ive heard and seen many honest and trust worthy engineers use it as well as a final prep.
    Final Prep? Is that what all the "honest" and "trustworthy" engineers call CHEATING now?
    chrisone wrote: »
    In other words, "it doesn't matter how you get to the playoffs, all that matters is that your there and how you perform."
    Sort of like Steroids and Baseball? It's okay as long as you don't get caught -- and keep denying it if caught. icon_rolleyes.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    qplayed wrote: »
    wow....am I the only person not using p$s? seems like everyone I know (except here?) is using it as "final review"...is there something wrong with me/us? or are we the last honest group/forum?
    At the 5 day CCNA Course I went on last year they actually handed out some **** PDFs. I had a quick read just after the course and got around 25%. Goes to show how bad the course was, or my lack of attention span, I can't think which icon_redface.gif

It did surprise me they would do that but thinking back the course was for a CCNA exam that was retired in 2003, no IPv6, wireless, eigrp etc. The newest hardware in the labs was a 1900 switch. Maybe them handing out **** was the only way the candidates would actually pass. Needless to say I was annoyed with the course providers but I didn't pay for the course so can't complain. After that I spent £2000 on a lab, bought the books and studied hard (the books that is, not the ****).
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Maybe them handing out **** was the only way the candidates would actually pass. Needless to say I was annoyed with the course providers but I didn't pay for the course so can't complain.
    It was the only way they could inflate their "certification rate" so that they could keep raking in the training budgets from clueless companies for their worthless training.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Goddamn cheaters p*** me off.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Final Prep? Is that what all the "honest" and "trustworthy" engineers call CHEATING now?

Sort of like Steroids and Baseball? It's okay as long as you don't get caught -- and keep denying it if caught. icon_rolleyes.gif

I know right..

It really sucks to study your ass off and then see just **** their way to a cert. Oh well, I'll just have to push for CCIE, at least I know they can't **** their way to a # .
    well enough.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    True words of a marine...

Me, personally, I don't buy into that whole hoorah thing......

hooah ;)

Just what i'd expect from a soldier, I think Oohrah sounds much cooler :) At work we've got all four branches and we have wars every day lol.

Honestly I dont care what anyone else is doing. My concern is what's best for me and my career. The world is dog eat dog, and whatever advantage I can get, I will take. On the same token, if you dont know what you're doing, you wont get past very many technical interviews, let alone probation. The probation period for my current position is 1 year, and people are let go all the time before their time is up.

It's pretty simple, either you are a proficient IT pro or you arent. Proficient doesnt mean you know everything, I consider a good IT pro to have a solid base skillset, and to be able to figure out the rest as needed. Just my .02. So qplayed, have a great exam, i'm sure you'll do fine, regardless of what anyone else is doing. And most importantly, you have learned something from this experience. Good luck, i'll be right there with you in a few.

• sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    A 1 year probationary period is a long time. It would be hard to bite your tongue for that long before upsetting someone.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    It's pretty simple, either you are a proficient IT pro or you arent. Proficient doesnt mean you know everything, I consider a good IT pro to have a solid base skillset, and to be able to figure out the rest as needed.
    So true. The most important skill in IT is not being able to build servers or configure routers, it is the ability to find out how to do it and then apply that knowledge. It amuses me to see the certs some people have on these forums, I know some people have loads of Cisco certs but atleast they are all related to one subject, its the guys who have MCSE, CCNP, MCAD, MCSD & MCITP certs. There is no way an average person can take all that on, remember it all and be effective.

Honestly I dont care what anyone else is doing. My concern is what's best for me and my career. The world is dog eat dog, and whatever advantage I can get, I will take.
    IMO it depends on how **** are being used, if you are the sort of person who does all the studying then has a quick look at some **** and gets 95% of the answers right then thats not so bad, it may just mean you would get 98% in the exam rather than 95%. Its the people who would get 50% before looking at the **** then 81% after I find annoying.

Looking at some of the "other" forums on the internet the number of posts of people looking for the latest **** is pretty shocking. You get the impression their world is going to cave in if they don't get the latest 423 question rather than the older 402 question ****. Completely absurd.

Needless to say I only use this forum nowadays, much better quality. We should congratulate ourselves on being able to ask intelligent questions and getting good quality answers in the forums. Unlike in the "other" forums where a typical question goes something like "I have ccent tomoorow,what vtp does" comlete with the bad grammar.

Sorry for ranting, I'm suffering from CWS (Cisco widthdrawl symptoms) while I'm studying a Microsoft certicon_surprised.gif
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    few hours left...i'm gonna go hit up ebay to calm the nerves :D
    need to find good prices for R&S lab upgrade :D
    well enough.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck..... enjoy it ;)

I tell you what i did get from cisco for my CCNA Security (As we are talking about ****)

The "Digital editions CCNA security quick reference" it was the only study material I purchased and really used.

90 page overview of the different topics, its great, no way could you pass from reading it, but I found once i had studied a topic it was a great way to see if i knew the topic.

I think flashcards and these kinds of things are great, just becasue (for me at least) they give a more througher overview of the topices than the blue prints. but not enough infor taht you can really learn from them. So I read a few, bit, then hit google, and play around with it a bit. Not read a single CISCO certification guide or studybook yet.

Any way sorry to digress. good luck in the exam and let us know how it goes.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    no cigar boys....I got ***** slapped by AutoQos

For the record...I hate GUI...i'll take the CLI any day anywhere@!
    well enough.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aww man sorry to here that... sure you get it on the retake. And no reason not to have the cigar anyway.

I not used QOS in anger yet, its one area that really interests me but just not been in a position with network to use it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    no cigar boys....I got ***** slapped by AutoQos

For the record...I hate GUI...i'll take the CLI any day anywhere@!

Nice try. At least we know your studying techniques are "on the level" :) ..best of luck next time. You're not that far.
    Just what i'd expect from a soldier, I think Oohrah sounds much cooler :) At work we've got all four branches and we have wars every day lol.

Same here. I've grown pretty proficient at dishing it out between the services..it's always one of those "just kidding..but not really" kind of things. Each service has it's quirks..I know the Army surely does.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Nice try. At least we know your studying techniques are "on the level" :) ..best of luck next time. You're not that far.

yea talk about a left hook ;)
    well enough.
    no cigar boys
    One beer -- and then back to the books (and lab).

Good Luck on the rematch. icon_thumright.gif

Okay, take the night off, drink lots of beers drunken_smilie.gif and get back to study tomorrow. :D
    your crazy....there's no night off...777? that **** pisses me off :D and back ot books it is :D a quesadilla and coffee tonight :D and a few QoS labs
    well enough.
    It looks like you've already shaken it off.... so full study ahead!!! icon_study.gif
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »

I totally understand and agree with you, im just pointing out that i have met and worked with reliable very trustworthy and dependable engineers that said they used a **** for final review. I have worked with a CCIE security who said he did that for the written part and then studied for the Lab part. The guy is beyond my knowledge of expertise and hes pursueing his CCIE in voice now. I dont work with the guy anymore but the guy knew his stuff and worked on very huge and big major projects.

I am in no way saying using **** are ok or fine, just pointing out the fact ive met people who have but also were very good engineers. Also my poor sports reference was meant to be like "regular season = job interview, Playoffs = Job performance" I just mean that you will get caught in the playoffs (job) if you dont perform to your resume qualities. Eh i know bad example...

Also , sorry about the failed exam. It happens , just continue to climb that mountain and you will eventually get over it.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX