from 0 to ITIL v3 foundation

smoking81smoking81 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody!

I am a recent graduate in computer engineering and I am trying to enrich my CV with some certifications.. I have found several interesting graduate programs in the area of Project Management IT for which I'd like to apply. Now, my studies focused more on disciplines belonging to the field of Software Engineering than Project Management (actually, I had only a class about IS in which they gave us very basic notions about Project Management and CMMI), but I'd like to apply for these jobs anyway..
My idea is to get this certification to give myself a few chances more than other candidates.. Do you think this can be a good idea? How much effort should it take getting this certification? I read about 3 days of study.. As far as I understand, is just matter of memorizing a few notions, isn't it?

In the case, which book(s) or other (free?) resource(s) would you suggest to build a path from no knowledge of ITIL to the V3 foundation certification?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Bye,
Federico.

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the board.

The ITIL Foundation Certificate is an entry-level certification. The intent is to demonstrate that holders of it have a baseline level of knowledge about the ITIL best practices.

The value of this certification, or any for that matter, will depend upon your local job market as well as the requirements of the jobs for which you are applying. We don't really know which job market you're in or any of the specifics of the jobs you are seeking.

IMO this is a very easy certification to achieve. However, it's sometimes difficult for people (especially in the US) to self-study for given that the terminology and concepts are sometimes difficult to understand. It's not impossible though, and many have successfully self-studied and passed this exam.

As far as "3 days" of study time...that's difficult to say. It all depends on you, how quickly you learn, etc.. A typical ITIL Foundation class is 3-days, and that is IMO more than enough time to understand the concepts and pass the exam IF you have a strong and experienced instructor. I can't help but think that self-study for this exam would take a bit longer.

Will this set you apart? Maybe at the moment outside of the UK, but not for much longer. The popularity of ITIL has increased dramatically in the US in the last 2 years, and continues to have upside potential. At some point the foundation certificate will become expected, much as it is for many jobs in the UK at the moment. You also have to be applying for a job where the people hiring know what ITIL is and care about it.

MS
  • smoking81smoking81 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you, eMeS, for your answer! :)

Actually, I am living and seeking for a job in Germany.. I've seen that there are a lot of jobs for ITIL experts, so I think getting this certificate would be an advantage.. After all, Germans really care about certificates (in general! :)).. The positions for which I'd like to apply don't expilicitly request a knowledge of ITIL, but the ask for IT service management in general...

About self-study, I think the university trained me to be a good self-learner.. :)

Could you kindly advise me some material to start with?

Once again, thanks a lot!
    bye
    smoking81 wrote: »
    thank you, eMeS, for your answer! :)

Actually, I am living and seeking for a job in Germany.. I've seen that there are a lot of jobs for ITIL experts,...

Just to be clear, ITIL Expert is a specific certification. Completing the foundation certification does not make one an ITIL Expert.

Here is a link to the official qualification scheme:

http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualificationScheme.asp
    smoking81 wrote: »
    Could you kindly advise me some material to start with?

The good people here have been kind enough to establish a couple of stickies at the top of this forum. Your search begins there.

For overall guidance I would recommend the ITIL Official Site at http://www.itil-officialsite.com/home/home.asp

MS
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    eMeS wrote: »
    Just to be clear, ITIL Expert is a specific certification. Completing the foundation certification does not make one an ITIL Expert.

Here is a link to the official qualification scheme:

http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualificationScheme.asp

The good people here have been kind enough to establish a couple of stickies at the top of this forum. Your search begins there.

For overall guidance I would recommend the ITIL Official Site at http://www.itil-officialsite.com/home/home.asp

MS

What do you think of the book with the pink elephant on it?
    carboncopy wrote: »
    What do you think of the book with the pink elephant on it?

I haven't seen it, can you provide a link?

MS
    I haven't seen it, can you provide a link?

MS

I think it may only be for the people that take the class with them. Can't seem to find a picture of it.

Pink Elephant is the world's leading organization for ITIL and IT Service Management consulting, education and conferences
    I think it may only be for the people that take the class with them. Can't seem to find a picture of it.

Pink Elephant is the world's leading organization for ITIL and IT Service Management consulting, education and conferences

Yeah, I'm not aware of Pink using a book other than their courseware, which you'd get in one of their classes.

MS
    Yeah, I'm not aware of Pink using a book other than their courseware, which you'd get in one of their classes.

MS

Yeah its the book from their courseware. I wanted to know if it was a good source. I will be using skillsoft and maybe that book to prepare for the test.
    Yeah its the book from their courseware. I wanted to know if it was a good source. I will be using skillsoft and maybe that book to prepare for the test.

No idea really, other than to say if it is accredited courseware then it is all pretty much the same.

MS
  • qwerbyqwerby Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently passed my ITIL foundation exam icon_biggrin.gif . I self studied.

Some well meaningcolleagues who have attended the ITIL course provided me their courseware material. I didn’t find accredited courseware notes any good, in most cases the notes are basically the PowerPoint slides with text.

If you are self studying for the foundation, I would go with purpose designed self study material (either a book, CD or online website).

I eventually used a online ITIL self-study website.

No idea really, other than to say if it is accredited courseware then it is all pretty much the same.

MS