do i need the new book?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
i've been using Mike Meyer's 6th edition for some time and read it all.

But, the 2006 edition will expire this month.

i'm planning to write it mid-March. should i get the new book: CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 SYBEX and read it through?

Heard that the exam material for 2006 and 2009 is significantly different.

Comments

• dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too had a similar dilema. i had Jean Andrews 2006 book but I was studying for the 2009 exam. I went ahead and purchased the Comptia Study guide for 2009. What Ive found is the hardward material is identical for the most part. The OS is slightly different because the 2009 has references to Vista. All in all I would say I think you could pass the 2009 exam with a good 2006 book but you will definitly miss some things so why chance it...icon_wink.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    laptop wrote: »
    i've been using Mike Meyer's 6th edition for some time and read it all.

But, the 2006 edition will expire this month.

i'm planning to write it mid-March. should i get the new book: CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 SYBEX and read it through?

Heard that the exam material for 2006 and 2009 is significantly different.

Simply compare the two sets of objectives and decided for youself. Most of the changes you'll be able to reference on the Internet, so I wouldn't recommend a new book, but it depends on how well you research/understand the newer material.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'll have to agree with Plantwiz here - if you're comfortable with Vista and are able to adequately research the new topics, then there's no need to plunk down the extra cash for a new book.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion