2 Easy Questions about Duplicate Screens

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
1.) How do I setup a dual screen mode so that they are mirrored? The same on both monitors?

I need a step by step process please and thank you. This is for study habits & documentation.. Thanks!

2.) Does it make a difference whether you have a splittler cable or dual VGI cables?

Comments

• SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    1.) How do I setup a dual screen mode so that they are mirrored? The same on both monitors?

I need a step by step process please and thank you. This is for study habits & documentation.. Thanks!

2.) Does it make a difference whether you have a splittler cable or dual VGI cables?

1)Using what OS?

If using XP you would right-click the desktop and select properties. Then the display tab, and if both monitors are plugged in, you will see the 2nd monitor grayed out. Select it and then check the box for Extend my desktop onto this monitor. Then there is a box saying whether you want to mirror, extend, or stretch the display on the 2nd screen...you would select mirror.

I'm using Windows 7 so that's just from memory but that should be pretty much accurate. However there are so many different ways that this could be answered I'm not sure if that's the exact answer you are looking for.

2) If you use a splitter cable, I believe you'll only be able to mirror the monitors (so perhaps that is better for your situation). I don't think you can extend the display onto a separate "desktop" using a cable splitter.

If you are using two video cables, then the instructions I gave above are what would be necessary to set this up.

Hope this helps!
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    1)Using what OS?

2) If you use a splitter cable, I believe you'll only be able to mirror the monitors (so perhaps that is better for your situation). I don't think you can extend the display onto a separate "desktop" using a cable splitter.

If you are using two video cables, then the instructions I gave above are what would be necessary to set this up.

Hope this helps!

If you have a cable splitter, it is possible to set it up not to mirror. The default will likely be mirroring though, and that would be good for you.

If you ever want to change it, the best way is to use a video card with a management program (Like ATI Catalyst Control Center). This provides an excellent interface to manage many things, including mirroring.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    chmorin wrote: »
    If you have a cable splitter, it is possible to set it up not to mirror. The default will likely be mirroring though, and that would be good for you..

I'd like to see an example of a splitter permitting a non-mirrored desktop view (aka Extended view). And, the Dell cards with a proprietary dongle do NOT count as a splitter.

Because, unless the GC permits it, you're going to have one signal that you can mirror from that GC. sorry.

And note: I believe when we are discussing 'splitter' here, the discussion is pertaining to a y-cable added to the GC and two Monitors, correct?

So I'd like to see how you did accomplished extending a desktop to 2 monitors by adding a y-cable.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?