Options

What is the best use for a VG200 in a home lab?

I just got a VG200 (actually I got two of them) for free from a friend. I am presently studying for my CCNA, and hope to venture off to CVOICE and the CCVP later on. Is the VG200 useful in a home lab situation? I have seen that Mike here on techforums used one, and I know of a few others that did too, but in what capacity? They can't run CME, but function as a gateway, so do you guys just use them to simulate the PSTN cloud with a couple FXS/FXO cards in them? Where in the topology would it go? My thoughts were to simulate the cloud, or connect to the PSTN with it. Could I connect the two VG200's and simulate the PSTN cloud by connecting the FXS on one to the FXO on another and vice versa? Could I run CM or CUCM on one of my servers and actually use it as a gateway? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am just getting into voice stuff. Also if there is any hardware I should consider getting in addition to running the VG200 in my existing lab, suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What you do with it depends on what memory, IOS, and Network Modules it has.
    Cisco VG200 Gateway - Cisco Systems

I used mine as an analog voice gateway with an NM-2V and VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO cards when I first got it. Since upgrading my lab, the VG200 has been dispatched to my Podunk Iowa Branch Office where it has an analog phone pluged in, and maybe a fax machine/modem and a single analog line to my PSTN cloud.

I don't think even the last IOS version supported WAN VICs, so you'd still need another router to connect to the "Corporate WAN" (your lab WAN/Internet cloud) for data services and VoIP traffic to the "rest of the company" (your lab HQ and other branch offices).

It could wind up in your PSTN cloud if that's where you decide the ports are most useful. While it's not a "single router PSTN Cloud solution" like a 2811 could be, you can duct tape (network) a bunch of less expensive Voice routers together to perform the same functions.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Output from Show Version command:
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) VG200 Software (VG200-I6S-M), Version 12.3(5a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 25-Nov-03 19:53 by kellythw
    Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x80DEBFA8
    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(10r)1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Router uptime is 14 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:vg200-i6s-mz.123-5a.bin"
    cisco VG200 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x601) with 28978K/3789K bytes of memor
    y.
    Processor board ID JAD0636087L (0)
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    Configuration register is 0x2102

Does this give any more insight into the things I can do with it?
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
  • Options
    Do I have to run a NM-2V to run VIC cards in it? I see it already has what looks like two VIC slots. Id like to load them with a 2 port FXS and a 2 port FXO. Ill use the FXS for analog phones and the FXO to connect to the PSTN. Does this sound like a good and feasable plan to utilize this in my home lab?
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    VG200's arent capable of acting as gateways for SIP-based systems, are they?
  • Options
    It sounds like you have a good plan to use these freebies.

You'd need the NM-2V for the VICs.

Those are the WIC Slots. I think a WIC BRI might be supported for voice, but then you'd need an ISDN hardware simulator (or ISDN connection) and some other ISDN device to talk to -- which isn't tested anymore. Those are slots where the WIC-1T or WIC-T1 cards would go for WAN connections -- if they were supported (which they are not).

Check out the Voice Density PDF on the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page for information about what the VG200 can support.

The NM/WIC/VIC Compatibility PDF doesn't mention the VG200 at all, but could be useful for planning any future purchases (check out what those sweet 1760s (pimped to 1760-V status) support without having to buy NM-2V or NM-HDV :D ).
  • Options
    Im honestly looking at the 1760's now. They have two VIC and two WIC and support CME. Is there any particular memory/flash combo I should look at when buying those? Id like to use one VG200 for PSTN and analog phones, and put the 1760 on the same IP network to serve as my CME, gateway, and gatekeeper. Those two things should integrate fine with my existing lab right? Oh my existing lab is 3x 2950 2x 2501 2x 2620XM and the VG200. I have two of the VG's but I think I'll only need one, so I listed the other on ebay for real cheap. If anyone here needs/wants the second one Ill send it to you for only shipping cost. Itd be cool to help out someone in my same situation.
  • Options
    Don't forget that the 1760-V can use VWICs icon_cool.gif

There is a icon_confused.gif: Hardware Documentation Links section in the CCVP Forum FAQ. There are links to the VG200 and 1760 Datasheets and the 1760 memory installation instructions.

Try and get one of the newer 1760s with the 32Meg onboard flash. That should also come with the MAX onboard DRAM, giving you the Maximum upgradability.

There is a Router Memory PDF on that Partner Central link I posted above that has the memory information -- read the footnotes. The "good 1760s" should have the black square with the white 32 above the Ethernet port. The ones without the 32 meg flash can still support CME, but it's just more esthetically pleasing to be able to run the MAX memory. :D